Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• papersoul
    replied
    Re: Best Paul pickup for a BIG tone.....

Originally posted by Stevo
    If the Custom does not work for you then definitely try the CC. The midrange edge is very "in your face", somewhere between the C5 and the Custom as far as mid frequency goes, but more pronounced.
    Yes the Customs are all wound the same and all you need to do is change magnets if you want.
    Thanks! How do I change the magnet? Is there a tutorial available? Thanks!!

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied

Originally posted by papersoul
    I just didn't find the C-5 aggressive enough for my tastes but it has great vintage flavor!! I didn't like it as much for modern sounds.
    If the Custom does not work for you then definitely try the CC. The midrange edge is very "in your face", somewhere between the C5 and the Custom as far as mid frequency goes, but more pronounced.
    Yes the Customs are all wound the same and all you need to do is change magnets if you want.

Leave a comment:

• papersoul
    replied

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
    Papersoul, you've already got the best pickup in your Paul...the C-5. Now, buy a different amp, and you're there! You and I have done the tone search in the opposite direction. I started with the amp, then guitar, then pickup. I can tell by your posts that you started with the pickups, then the guitar, and are in the final phase of turning mediocre gear into perfect gear. Now, it's the amp, cause you seem to still be looking and you've already got a killer guitar with upgraded electronics and the perfect Duncan model.
    Hi gear! I actually like my amp quite a bit and have used tubes for years. Anyway, I just didn't find the C-5 aggressive enough for my tastes but it has great vintage flavor!! I didn't like it as much for modern sounds.

I am trying to get a Duncan Custom along with a PRS Dragon I to test.

Leave a comment:

• Simon_F
    replied

Another vote for the Custom here - it always sounds big and chunky to me, really cuts through the mix.

Leave a comment:

• Hellion
    replied

Well, Zach Wylde uses EMG pups and they ARE very clean. I like passive pups a little better. There are a couple of units that sound really good in a Paul. 1) SD '59, 2) Jeff Beck, 3) Gibson Burstbuckers (kinda surprising to me, but they're a damn nice sounding pickup 4) Full Shred (The mahogany body of a Paul gives it some low end).

Leave a comment:

• \m/(00)\m/
    replied

the Custom is a great pickup, it sounds big, punchy, and great!
    i seem to rarely use my other guitars anymore because of that!

Leave a comment:

• korovamilkdud
    replied

CC, C, and C5 are all wound exactly the same. I know, I bought a CC on ebay just recently, threw in a ceramic mag, and made myself a Custom.

Leave a comment:

• Metalman_666
    replied

Are you guys sure that the Custom and C-5 are same pup? Is it really just a matter of the ceramic/alnico magnets?

Leave a comment:

• korinastratkyle
    replied

Custom would be my choice for that sound!

Leave a comment:

• Gearjoneser
    replied

Papersoul, you've already got the best pickup in your Paul...the C-5. Now, buy a different amp, and you're there! You and I have done the tone search in the opposite direction. I started with the amp, then guitar, then pickup. I can tell by your posts that you started with the pickups, then the guitar, and are in the final phase of turning mediocre gear into perfect gear. Now, it's the amp, cause you seem to still be looking and you've already got a killer guitar with upgraded electronics and the perfect Duncan model.

Leave a comment:

• RG 2570
    replied

hey for what it is worth i always hear the duncan distortion is unbelievable in a gibson les paul?

Leave a comment:

• RG 2570
    replied

....that sits in a three piece mix nicely? Well, thus far I have tried the BB Pro, C-5, and BBQ in my Les Paul and believe it or not I am thinking of going back to the C-5 as it seemed the best so far. The BBQ I love but it doesn't seem the right match in this guitar after last nights practice. I don't want to go back to the Gibson burstbucker pros. Have any of you LP guys found a Duncan or other that just for some reason sounds big and full in the band mix? I think that is the missing ingredient, but the C-5 has been closest.

I am bidding on a zebra Custom at the moment so maybe that will be it.

Thanks.
    I always liked zakk wyldes les paul sound because it is real clear and in your face

he uses emg's.
    what does the majority of les paul players use on record?

Leave a comment:

• Bones
    Guest replied

I don't know if I know how to replace a magnet though and isn't the Custom wound differently.
    Custom, CC and C5 are all the same damn thing except for the mags. CC is wounder slightly hotter if i remembered correctly.

Leave a comment:

• papersoul
    replied

Originally posted by korovamilkdud
    Don't forget, you can save a lot of money by just buying a ceramic mag to get a Custom out of your current pup.
    I don't know if I know how to replace a magnet though and isn't the Custom wound differently.

Leave a comment:

• korovamilkdud
    replied

Don't forget, you can save a lot of money by just buying a ceramic mag to get a Custom out of your current pup.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X