banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

slug/screw north/south same on neck and bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slug/screw north/south same on neck and bridge?

Is this right?

The black and white wires are to the slug coil/ north?

I was wondering because of the orientation of the slug/screw being different on neck and bridge pups, is the black/white the slug/north on both neck and bridge?

To split the neck and bridge humbuckers into hum cancelling mode, you would need one split to north and one split south, right?

Thanks
    Bridge pups: Full Shred-Custom-DD
    Neck pups: '59-Aph1-DD

Re: slug/screw north/south same on neck and bridge?

This is a great question. I hope that someone who knows definitively, (like Evan), pops in and answers this.

Comment

Their normally the same- normally, the slug coil is North magnetic polarity and standard wind and the one going directly out to the +. The screw coil is South magnetic polarity and reverse wind and has to have it's signal travel through the slug coil, the extra resistance gives it a lower voltage\output than the North. Techinically speaking though, since this is an AC signal, the + and - are changing so many times a second (based on the frequency) meaning it lowers the output\voltage overall. BTW, I might only be 17, but trust me, I'm studying Electronics and Electrical Theory at a vocational school and am one of the top in my class.

As for the spliting part, I believe you're right, as well.
      Last edited by korinastratkyle; 05-06-2004, 05:40 PM.
      ScreamingDaisy: I don't do sympathy. If you want sympathy, it can be found in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

Comment

Yep, the slug coil is always "north" polarity. That's why it's humcancelling to combine a split HB with a normal SD single coil (south - at least for Strats - don't ask about Tele pups & polarity, please).

IIRC the slug and screw coils are wound in the same direction; however, the wires are as follows:

green - start of screw coil
        red - finish of screw coil
        white - finish of slug coil
        black - start of slug coil

Since the standard wiring uses the slug coil's "finish" as it's ground and the "start" as it's hot lead, it's effectively reverse wound.

If you wire one of the humbuckers using white for ground, connect black & green for the series connection, and use red for hot, then grounding the black/green connection will leave the screw coil on. Wiring the other humbucker normally, you could have one DP/DT switch that splits to the slug coil of one pickup (grounding the normal red/white connection) and the screw coil of the other pup (grounding the black/green connection) => humcancelling.

Hope this helps.

Chip
        Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
        Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
        Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
        SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
        SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
        "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Originally posted by korinastratkyle
          The screw coil is South magnetic polarity and reverse wind and has to have it's signal travel through the slug coil, the extra resistance gives it a lower voltage\output than the North.
          I'm not sure that I'ld agree with this part. Both coils are acting as AC generators, that are connected in series: like putting two batteries in a flashlight. The overall voltage should be approximately double what you'ld have if there was only one coil.

Perhaps I'm mis-reading how you meant that that.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Start
            Yep, the slug coil is always "north" polarity. That's why it's humcancelling to combine a split HB with a normal SD single coil (south - at least for Strats - don't ask about Tele pups & polarity, please).

IIRC the slug and screw coils are wound in the same direction; however, the wires are as follows:

green - start of screw coil
            red - finish of screw coil
            white - finish of slug coil
            black - start of slug coil

Since the standard wiring uses the slug coil's "finish" as it's ground and the "start" as it's hot lead, it's effectively reverse wound.

If you wire one of the humbuckers using white for ground, connect black & green for the series connection, and use red for hot, then grounding the black/green connection will leave the screw coil on. Wiring the other humbucker normally, you could have one DP/DT switch that splits to the slug coil of one pickup (grounding the normal red/white connection) and the screw coil of the other pup (grounding the black/green connection) => humcancelling.

Hope this helps.

Chip
            I just now did this with a 59n and C5b and it works as advertised. I had to figure it out myself. Should have looked here first
            Owner:
            Slamo Custom Guitars
            Doc Simons Miracle Guitar Polish

Comment

Kyle, I had a killer E1 teacher in high school (retired GE custom shop coil winder…no kidding). I was always getting stupid before class and he ask me not to take E2. When I got to collage it took 2 years for the curriculum to catch up with what I learned in high school. Sounds like you might have one of those above par teachers...So don't screw up kido. Oh by the way ask your teacher if he has a coil winder sitting in a desk drawer somewhere...mine did but staying on my teachers bad side was more important than getting my hands on it. Just ask on the forum and the mats are available.
              On subject I just read somewhere the other day (I think Tone Quest Gibson BB article) that early on both pickups were built the same then at some point bridge pickups where wound of a reversed or opposite of the front and the magnet flipped. Left me wondering when...'76? Are all after market bridge pickups like this since 76 and if that's true when or did Gibson switch?
              Last edited by Lightning; 05-08-2004, 03:57 PM.
              Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Working...
              X