banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

C5 vs Custom

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • C5 vs Custom

    I have read that these 2 pickups and the JB are an excellant match for the bridge with 59 in the neck.

    What are the differences between them

  • #2
    Re: C5 vs Custom

    C5 is pretty bassy, but clear. Very sweet sounding. It's got a bit less midrange, but don't be fooled, it's still a hot sounding pickup.

    Custom is my favorite. If you think about a Seth Lover and add midrange and output, you have a Custom. It does have a PAF feel and balance to it, with more bottom and output.

    JB is an incredible clean pickup. It is ridiculously clear (even more so than a PAF imo) and great for soloing. Very responsive. Some complain that it doesn't have enough meat, bottom end. It's spiked in it's upper-midrange.
    Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
    Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
    Originally posted by Sosomething
    "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

    The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: C5 vs Custom

      Does the custom have enough brightness for the bridge. ACDC Etc

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: C5 vs Custom

        Originally posted by Ddune9751
        Does the custom have enough brightness for the bridge. ACDC Etc
        I want to try one of these as well? i like a tight punchy rhythm tone and shredding solos wehre every note jumps out with a lot of clarity and fattness.
        right now i use a wolfgang and it is not as tight as i like

        I like a compressed tone that is like a punch in da face so which custom is the best for that? i also like AC/DC tone but want to be able to play the heavier stuff as well, i dont want to be limited to just one style of metal?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: C5 vs Custom

          Originally posted by Ddune9751
          Does the custom have enough brightness for the bridge. ACDC Etc
          I think it does, and by the way, the Custom is a bridge-only pickup like the JB. I use a Custom in two of my guitars and love the sound it helps create. Good highs and lows, and just enough mids to balance the sound and deliver some excellent chunkiness. I have no problem getting good AC/DC sounds out of both my LP and G400.
          The JB is also a great, classic-sounding bridge-pup which is excellent for tele sounds when the coils are split. Slap a Jazz in the neck, split that one, too, and you have some killer Strat sounds also. It's amazing to me how versatile these two pickups can be.
          It pleases me to no end that a reputable maker of guitars like Schecter decided years ago to market their C-1 Classic with the Jazz/JB combination and already split-coiled. At least one company took note and made the right move in regards to the electronics they install in that model!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: C5 vs Custom

            Originally posted by korovamilkdud
            JB is an incredible clean pickup. It is ridiculously clear (even more so than a PAF imo) and great for soloing. Very responsive. Some complain that it doesn't have enough meat, bottom end. It's spiked in it's upper-midrange.
            I like the C5's cleans much better... the JB seemed a bit harsh.
            Originally posted by The Minstrel
            Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: C5 vs Custom

              Originally posted by italic zero
              I like the C5's cleans much better... the JB seemed a bit harsh.

              Oh, that wasn't my experience at all!

              I was amazed at how articulate the JB was. I had no problems with it being harsh either. Thin maybe, but certainly not harsh. The C5 however had the midrange that I normally associate with high output humbuckers. I was using a LP so warmth really wasn't an issue. Maybe a strat would be a different story altogether...
              Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
              Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
              Originally posted by Sosomething
              "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

              The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: C5 vs Custom

                Does the custom have enough brightness for the bridge. ACDC Etc[/QUOTE]

                Depends on the guitar - in mine, it actually had too much brightness for the bridge (~ash, tele bridge). Swapped the ceramic mag out for an A4 - so it's a Custom 4 now instead of a Custom - and am happy now. What sort of guitar is this in?

                Originally posted by Ddune9751
                I like a compressed tone that is like a punch in da face so which custom is the best for that? i also like AC/DC tone but want to be able to play the heavier stuff as well, i dont want to be limited to just one style of metal?
                Custom sounds (in my limited experience) like what yout want, though I have only had the Custom & Custom4 in my guitar. High output & compressed from the ceramic mag, very crunchy, sounds great dirty.
                Homemade Tas Oak Tele w/ SD Custom 4 & strat Blue Lace Sensor, Boogie DC-3

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: C5 vs Custom

                  Originally posted by italic zero
                  I like the C5's cleans much better... the JB seemed a bit harsh.

                  Try the JB with an alnico-2 magnet in it. Not harsh at all. Warmer than the original and still pretty hot.
                  "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: C5 vs Custom

                    Originally posted by Ddune9751
                    Does the custom have enough brightness for the bridge. ACDC Etc
                    I compared the custom to the JB. And the custom remind me of that ACDCish sound when i put the vol. back.
                    But i like the JB more.
                    RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                    TS 7 (modded)
                    Hot Rod 50+ XL
                    Framus Dragon 4x12
                    V-AMP II for practice

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: C5 vs Custom

                      Originally posted by Jeffrec
                      Try the JB with an alnico-2 magnet in it. Not harsh at all. Warmer than the original and still pretty hot.
                      Where can I order magnets online?
                      Originally posted by The Minstrel
                      Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: C5 vs Custom

                        www.ampge.com
                        Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                        Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                        Originally posted by Sosomething
                        "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

                        The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: C5 vs Custom

                          Originally posted by italic zero
                          Where can I order magnets online?
                          Black Rose Custom (don't know the web address, but a lot of guys here use this place and are very pleased with them).

                          Stewart-MacDonald (good for supplies. They don't carry magnets)
                          Last edited by Jeffrec; 05-10-2004, 09:25 AM.
                          "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: C5 vs Custom

                            Would the c-5 be too trebly in a bright neck thru mohagony/flame maple top schecter c-1plus guitar???????????????
                            My bands links:

                            PEDL
                            www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

                            TREBLE BLEED
                            www.myspace.com/treblebleed

                            KLINK
                            www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: C5 vs Custom

                              I loved the clean of the JB but it never quite did it for me distorted.

                              I like the C-5 a lot but more for vintage tones and classic rock as it is awesome for this! Very open and airy.articulate. I just couldn't get the aggression I wanted from it.

                              Next up is the Custom hopefully soon.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X