Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little advice please

Hey guys,

I recently built a guitar that has a 25" scale length and has a maple neck through the body with an ebony fingerboard, with mahogany wings. Acoustically, the guitar is relatively quiet and has this bright, almost piano like quality to it. I was wondering what pickups should I use as I want the guitar to be versatile enough so that it may be used for most styles of music. Duncans or Dimarzios are both welcome to suggestion, I have had good experiences with both companies. Please keep in mind that this guitar is very trebly by nature.

Thanks

Re: A little advice please

Welcome to the Duncan forum, lots of good information and good people on these boards. I would suggest a darker sounding pickup, as all that maple and ebony will make it a very bright guitar. The Duncan Custom Custom and Alnico II Pro would be good choices, as would the Rio Grande BBQ.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I'd put '59s in, both front & back. That's a lot of bright sounding wood. I'll bet it'll sound great though. If you want a bit more bite to the back end, maybe a Demon or JB. I've got a Washburn Falcon with a JB in the back and a 59 in front. Falcons were made using laminates of Walnut & Maple, so there's a lot of Maple on it, and it resonates a lot like what you're describing, acoustically, you can barely hear it. Plus (and this is just something you can do if you feel like it), you can tap the JB's AND the 4 conductor '59's (you have to specify that when you're ordering it), so you can get a LOT of diffent sounds out of the two pups.
      www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

HI welcome to the forum
        Thats a lot of bright wood u got ther, except for the mahogany. I have designed a smilar guitar (maple neck, ebony fretboard and mahogany body)except that it is bolt on. So definetly less brighter.I would be going in for the JB 59 combo.
        What do u want exactly? warm tones or something in between?
        Since u say the guitar is brighter go in for a AlnicoII neck or a 59. bridge try out a CC, or 59 or a JB.
        But what kinda tone do u want?
        sigpic
        Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
        JFG Flying V,
        "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
        John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Well, as for the overall tone of the guitar, it has plenty of bite but I am looking for a very warm, fat tone with singing highs that are not in the least bit icepicky.

Comment

Hmmm... I'd think a '59/CC would be nice for that. The JB can be a bit ice picky, depending on who you talk to.
            Originally posted by The Minstrel
            Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

well i guesed as much it would be bright. Do u want a bluesy tone? go in for a two alnico proII . or Two 59's.
              I tell u what personally I love warm tones and I would go in for either the twin AlnicoII pro or twin 59 combo, on a bright guitar.
              If u would like higher out put at the bridge go in for the Custom custom(CC). it would match the 59 great.
              sigpic
              Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
              JFG Flying V,
              "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
              John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Thanks again y'all. I appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
                X