Clarity and scream in a tuned down SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarity and scream in a tuned down SG

Ok, here's the story. I have Demons in both of my mahogany SG's. I tune one to D standard and the other to C standard. My SG tuned to C gets a little muddy and loses middle clarity. The Demon in my SG tuned in D is perfect. My question is would a JB,C5, or Custom be the trick for clarity, scream and growl while keeping the character of the Demon tuned to C standard.

Re: Clarity and scream in a tuned down SG

From what I've heard the Custom might be best... I haven't tried it though.
    Originally posted by The Minstrel
    Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

well, zerb uses the Custom and i've heard he tunes down pretty low(i think Ab, but im not sure)

Comment

I'm not familar with the Demon pickup, but definately look into a Custom. I've got one in my SG and I tune to Drop C. The Custom is a pretty balanced pickup, so it may be the trick for getting your mids up a bit.
        -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
        Vox VT15
        Washburn D10SCE
        Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Comment

I should also ask which pup sounds best when split. Its for my SG X which is a single humbucking guitar with a coil split. The Demon sounds great but loses its punch when I solo or try to rip out some pitch harmonics. I've been lookin at the JB for its richness in harmonics and bite. And tuned down so low in a mahagony guitar I should have no worries with the bottom end. My main concern is losing range with the higher output pups. I'm not a fan of compressed tone.

Comment

Full Shred?
            www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hellion
              Full Shred?
              In the neck yea, but not for a bridge pup.

In the never ending battle between the JB,C5 and Custom for the bridge I think the JB's my best bet. A pup with a tight bottom is what I need for lower tunings not a pup with alot of bass. The C5 and Custom sound like they have more bass which is not what I need. Mahagony guitars are bassy anyways. I just don't want too much compression or a scooped sound. I need mids to stand out in my band.

Comment

The C5 does have a fair amount of bass, but I don't find it too much at all in my schecter (mahogany/maple neck and cap). I haven't tried downtuning it past Eb, but in standard the bass is extremely tight. It's not really scooped, crank up the mids a bit and it cuts through with the best of them. I think it would be the least compressed sounding of the three...
                Originally posted by The Minstrel
                Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

Working...
                X