Strat replacment pups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat replacment pups

I am considering replacing the pick ups in my American Standard Strat. I am -overall -happy with the tone, clarity and fullness of the factory pups but would like more output and presence. Do I need different pups or just a bigger amp?

Re: Strat replacment pups

welcome!

well, what amp do you have now?
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
      welcome!

well, what amp do you have now?
      A Johnson JM60-To be replaced soon with a Marshall JCM800/1960cab 1/2 stack.

Comment

well, if you want to be conservative, wait and try the guitar with your new amp!

I actually liked the pups on the 90's American strats with TBX ...

but SSL's or APS's would likely sound better ... I personally like a little hotter bridge pickup, with stock wiring, a jumper for tone on the bridge, and an Orange Drop cap

you can check a few of my clips here:
        clips

there are clips with APS-2's and Antiquities in the first couple links
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

You're probably right. I've had the axe for 3yrs. and every time I think I want to change it I pick it up and play . I almost never use the bridge pu though. I almost exclusivly use the neck-neck-mid. The bridge seems too thin. If there was more punch/presence in the bridge I wouldn't change a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by rumplstratskin
            If there was more punch/presence in the bridge I wouldn't change a thing.
            then I'd suggest wiring a little jumper that would at least give you some tone roll off on the bridge - you're right, stock the bridge is too darn bright!

if you want, I'll find the link that shows how to wire the jumper .. if you aren't satisfied with that, then maybe start with just a hotter bridge pickup

here's the diagram:
            jumper
            Last edited by Curly; 05-07-2004, 11:22 PM.
            "music heals"
            facebook

Comment

Originally posted by rumplstratskin
              You're probably right. I've had the axe for 3yrs. and every time I think I want to change it I pick it up and play . I almost never use the bridge pu though. I almost exclusivly use the neck-neck-mid. The bridge seems too thin. If there was more punch/presence in the bridge I wouldn't change a thing.
              Thats exactly the reason why i am switching over to a HUMBUCKER in the bridge. I absolutly hate the the thin sound from the bridge, though for certain application it does sound good. I too use the neck pup mostly
              sigpic
              Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
              JFG Flying V,
              "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
              John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

well, I have an SSL-3 "Hot" in the bridge of my APS strat, and I love it ... I kinda like the single coil look, too ... but the Hot does rival a humbucker in output, like the description says
                "music heals"
                facebook

Comment

I have to agree about the stock Fender pups. I have a 2000 Am. Stand. and it sounds great. I tried an SSL-6 in the neck and liked the stock pup better. I think I'd like an SSL-1 or 2, however, and have been meaning to try one. I repaced the bridge pup with a lil59 and it freakin' rocks now. Love that Fender....

Mike

Comment

do any of you strat players ever use the middle pick up? (wierd question i know, but i have a les paul, so it's a novelty to me), what sort of sound does it give?
                    "What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"

Comment

Ummm...I almost never do.....not sure what that says about me. For me my strat is all about the neck position and the notch position between the neck and the middle. I almost never used any other setup until I put the lil59 in the bridge. I'm sure tons of other guys use the other settings, but for me my strat was always for blues and funk. Now that the 59 is in there I can rock out with my c0ck out as well. Makes it pretty versatile. At some point I intend to put a switch to tap the 59 to get a little twang, but I do pretty well on the notch stuff for the little bit of country I try to cop on it...

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
                        then I'd suggest wiring a little jumper that would at least give you some tone roll off on the bridge - you're right, stock the bridge is too darn bright!

if you want, I'll find the link that shows how to wire the jumper .. if you aren't satisfied with that, then maybe start with just a hotter bridge pickup

here's the diagram:
                        jumper
                        Thanks for the link. I may give that a try.
                        I keep hearing about Lace Holy Grails. I was giving some thought to a HG1000 neck and mid and a HG1500 at the bridge. I hear a lot of hype about them but don't know anyone personally who uses them so I can hear what they sound like. Good? bad? Junk?

Comment

Originally posted by rinse_master
                          do any of you strat players ever use the middle pick up? (wierd question i know, but i have a les paul, so it's a novelty to me), what sort of sound does it give?
                          I use the middle for rythym quite a lot and mid/neck-mid/bridge also for various tones. It's thinner and backs the volume down nicely. Of course, that's how I have mine set up. A friend has three hot rails. Doesn't matter where his 5 way is set. They all get your attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Jocelyn
                            Thats exactly the reason why i am switching over to a HUMBUCKER in the bridge. I absolutly hate the the thin sound from the bridge, though for certain application it does sound good. I too use the neck pup mostly
                            I don't know why Fender chooses to put such a weak pu in the bridge position, That IS supposed to be the "lead" setting isn't it? I guess that's the reason for the Fat Strat.

Comment

I'm not familiar with HG's.

If you wanted to switch, I'd suggest SSL's/Hot bridge or APS's/ Twangbanger. The SSL's would be brighter, the APS's would be smoother. For ultimate vintage tone, the Antiquities.

I'd suggest just changing the bridge, but SD's have a phase compatiblity problem with Fender's pups, as far as just single coils are concerned.
                              "music heals"
                              facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X