Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strat replacment pups

Originally posted by rumplstratskin
    I use the middle for rythym quite a lot and mid/neck-mid/bridge also for various tones. It's thinner and backs the volume down nicely. Of course, that's how I have mine set up. A friend has three hot rails. Doesn't matter where his 5 way is set. They all get your attention.
    Bill, are you talkin about my Strat? I've got Hot Stacks and a Classic Stack in my MIJ Strat. I agree with Curly all the way, if you decide to go with SD pups. If I wasn't already putting Anitiquity s.c.'s in my American Strat, my choice would've been SSL-1's.
    The next time I re-string my MIJ I may go ahead and swap the bridge pup out for a 'Lil59 I have on hand. Only thing is my MIJ is black on black and the 59 is white.

Hey Curly! Would SSL-3's be kinda like a similar pickup to the Hot Stack, except for not being stacked?

-Bob

Comment

Originally posted by midnite_man
      Bill, are you talkin about my Strat? I've got Hot Stacks and a Classic Stack in my MIJ Strat. I agree with Curly all the way, if you decide to go with SD pups. If I wasn't already putting Anitiquity s.c.'s in my American Strat, my choice would've been SSL-1's.
      The next time I re-string my MIJ I may go ahead and swap the bridge pup out for a 'Lil59 I have on hand. Only thing is my MIJ is black on black and the 59 is white.

Hey Curly! Would SSL-3's be kinda like a similar pickup to the Hot Stack, except for not being stacked?

-Bob
      I answered my own question when I went to the tone-chart and checked out the "Hot." Looks like it's got a lot more midrange tone than many other s.c.'s. I don't think that's what I'm looking for.

Comment

-Bob
        Bob,
        I haven't tried the Stacks at all ... I'm kind of Old School, ya know

to be honest, I think my Hot is a little out of balance with my APS's, plus it's A5, as opposed to A2, but it just sounds so darn good, I love it!

I need to do some more SSL-3 clips, 'cause I've found that doing crunch chords with an OD pedal is very addicting ... my 1/2 positions, though not "stock" sounding, are actually a lot more interesting to me

I'd still like to try the SSL-6 Custom, and the Twangbanger in the bridge, though.
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

I answered my own question when I went to the tone-chart and checked out the "Hot." Looks like it's got a lot more midrange tone than many other s.c.'s. I don't think that's what I'm looking for.
          Sorry. I thought you were running all hot staciks at one time. Let's face it, every time I saw the black beauty there for a while it had a different set up.
          Since I wasn't the one sweating over the soldering iron I kind of lost track. I just know it sounded pretty good with the stacks in it.

I would still like to hear a Strat with Holy grails in it. My mind fixes on something and there it stays-Right Bob?

Comment

I jusr re-read my comment re: your M1J Bob. Don't know where I got hot rails from. I meant to write stacks-would have bet $$$ I had written stacks. That's why I don't gamble.

Comment

I jusr re-read my comment re: your M1J Bob. Don't know where I got hot rails from. I meant to write stacks-would have bet $$$ I had written stacks. That's why I don't gamble.
              Lol....It's all good. You never know - I may end up slappin a set of Hot Rails in that bad-boy someday, but for the time being I'll be concentrating on the Am. Strat hopin that I can get everything installed and wired correctly the first time around. I plan on getting this all done later this afternoon after my son's LL baseball game (priorities), but rain clouds are threatening. If the game's called and I get the pups in sooner, and as Jimi wrote and sang, I'll "sit back and groove on a rainy day" with my Antiquity-loaded Strat.

Comment

I would still like to hear a Strat with Holy grails in it. My mind fixes on something and there it stays-Right Bob?
                Yup, that's for sure!

Comment

Yup, that's for sure!

Well, if you read my email you know that I soon WILL hear a strat with HGs in it.

Comment

Well, if you read my email you know that I soon WILL hear a strat with HGs in it.
                    Alas! Another lost-soul-guitarist who hast lost his way along the path of those who wouldst refuseth their faith in SD pickups.

Good luck on those, Bill! Hope you get the sounds you're looking for, 'bro.

Comment

Originally posted by rinse_master
                      do any of you strat players ever use the middle pick up? (wierd question i know, but i have a les paul, so it's a novelty to me), what sort of sound does it give?
                      I don't use the middle pup by itself a lot, but I use it with the bridge or neck a lot. It's a typical out of phase sound (think "Fool for your Stockings" by ZZ Top or that lead tone in "Neon Moon" by Brooks & Dunn". Those may not actually be out of phase pups on the recording, but that's what they sound like to me.). My actual fave positions on a 5 way Strat switch are 1) bridge, 2) bridge & middle & 3) middle & neck.

If you're going to replace them, I'd either 1) stick a set of Fender Tex Mex in all three holes or 2) forget the middle & neck--just leave 'em be, and put a Hot Rails or QP Strat in the bridge. If want a little more output from the rear, try a JB Jr, and if you want a TON of output from it, try a DiMarzio YJM, which is really just an HS-3 with staggered poles. Personally, I think the QP Strat pup will put out just as much usable signal, plus it'll be cleaner.
                      www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Alas! Another lost-soul-guitarist who hast lost his way along the path of those who wouldst refuseth their faith in SD pickups.

Good luck on those, Bill! Hope you get the sounds you're looking for, 'bro.
                        Just got through playing with the LP. If the HGs put out anywhere NEAR the level of PBL humbuckers I'll be happy!

The JM60 was up to only 2 and I was in the kitchen with amp in the living room. My ears are ringing.

Comment

Just as a side note, I was just reading an interview with Robin Trower and he says he mostly uses his neck pup, especially for solos. Wow, all this time I've been ignoring my neck pup. I'll be trying that out.
                          Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellion
                            ...if you want a TON of output from it, try a DiMarzio YJM, which is really just an HS-3 with staggered poles. Personally, I think the QP Strat pup will put out just as much usable signal, plus it'll be cleaner.
                            How do you think one of these badboys would be in the middle position of a HSH guitar?
                            Ibanez RG1570: stock
                            Squier Strat: stock

Next on the list: an amp that isn't crap!

Comment

Working...
                            X