Time for a new bridge pickup!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a new bridge pickup!!

The time as finally arrived for me to put a new bridge pickup in my Kamikaze 4. It has a maple body, neck, and fingerboard. I already have a maple body/neck/fingerboard in my other Lynch ESP, the M1 Tiger, with a Screamin' Demon in the bridge. I love the SD, but I don't want 2 guitars with the same sound anymore.

I was thinking about going for something a little more classic sounding, to really complement my '85 JCM800 (50W) ... So, what do you guys think of the Alnico II Pro humbucker?

I'm not concerned with the output level of the pickup; I have tons of gain in my amps and such. I am aware that the A2P is a bit lower output than the SD.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with both of these pickups? (I'm thinking Gearjonser, Scott, and Zerb ... I know you guys have tons of experience with this sort of thing). You know they style of guitar I play: George Lynch, Jake E Lee, Vivian Campbell, Dave Murray, etc.

How do the SD and the A2P compare to each other tonally in the context of the type of music that I play? My sig has my other gear.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: Time for a new bridge pickup!!

how about a blues trembucker at 9.8k it will be about the same output as your demon! and with a different tone set up6/3/6 low/mid/high and an A5 mag it should smoke in you esp!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
    Suhr OD-50
    Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

Or get a Seth and remove the cover, an EVH or a 59.
      Or the APH-1, I have the neck version, I love it alot.

Comment

The Custom 5 is my 'go to' pickup, only because I know it sounds great in every kind of guitar I put it in. If you already know the JB and Screamin Demon, the C-5 is like those with a tighter, bigger low end. The APII might introduce mids that have their own character. I like the mids coming straight from the guitar's wood and the amp.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I'm very familiar with the JB and SD, as I already have 'em in my guitars. That sounds like good advice. I will look into it!

(I wonder if I can get the C5 in green ...? lol

Comment

Just read the specs on the C5 ... it looks like it may be perfect, and you can get it in green!

Gearjonser, do you know how it stands up when the gain and volume are very high, let's say 7 and above in the gain department, with the master volume 3-4 on a 100W head or 8-9 on a 50W ... ie, very loud?

Comment

do you wanna check out my clips with teh JB, PAF PRO, EVOLUTION, CC Bridge, Bill lawrence l500xl?
              PM me and i will send them to your email
              WITH PLEASURE AND FULL DISTORTION
              ahahahah
              J.P
              Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
              Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
              Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
              Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
              Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
              Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
              Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
              Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
                Just read the specs on the C5 ... it looks like it may be perfect, and you can get it in green!

Gearjonser, do you know how it stands up when the gain and volume are very high, let's say 7 and above in the gain department, with the master volume 3-4 on a 100W head or 8-9 on a 50W ... ie, very loud?
                C5 sounds great at high gain
                Originally posted by The Minstrel
                Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

Consider yourself warned...the C5 is a bright pickup to begin with. A guitar made of pure maple is going to be very bright. Put the two together, and the treble might make your ears bleed. I like your original idea of going with an Alnico II Pro. It's a warmer pickup than the Demon, with more bass and a little less treble. I'd say the mids are about the same. A Blues Trembucker might also work. If you don't find the Demon to be too bright in that guitar, you certainly wouldn't find the Blues to be too bright. I would recommend the Alnico II Pro though, I think that pickup matches up with your guitar better than any other humbucker in the Duncan lineup.

Ryan
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Yeah, for that guitar a CC or AII Pro or maybe an SL would probably be better..
                    Originally posted by The Minstrel
                    Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

Being a bright maple guitar, id go something a little darker like a CC.
                      My Soundclick page.

Comment

I never used an A2P in a Strat style guitar but I had them in LP's for years. Very warm full sounding pup.
                        My Bands -
                        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
                        X