Alnico 2 Pro vs. EVH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alnico 2 Pro vs. EVH

I'm thinking of replacing the C5 in my Strat's bridge with something lower output that won't "fart out" and distort a clean channel under a heavy attack. I like a balanced tone and the warmth of A2 mags. How would these two compare? Thanks.

I haven't owned or played the EVH, but I have a matched set of APH II's in my Hardtail and I love them dearly. The neck is my favorite HB barre none.....and the bridge is right up there. I think the APH does classic and hard rock very well. As a generaly rule I don't like the brightness of an A5.

With that said, several of our VHolic's here on the board have posted clips with the 59' thru a plexi that nail the VH tone, if that's what you're looking for. I really prefer lower output buckers because they have such a great clean voice, and when you overdrive them you get the tone of the guitar and the amp more clearly....not muffled by the output of the pup.

The APH is a very good all around bridge pickup. It's good enough for Slash.......and I love it.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

Given your requirements, the Alnico 2 pro is probably the better bet. It is slightly lower in output and slightly warmer, which will mean it will stay cleaner in the clean channel of you amp. It is also considerably cheaper.
      Ernie Ball Axis Sport (SD EVH 78/ Alnico 2 Pro)
      Ernie Ball Silhouette Special
      Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline (Dimarzio Air Zone/ SD 59)
      Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline (Bare Knuckles Stormy Monday neck and bridge)
      Fender American Series Telecaster
      Marshall Jubilee 2554 combo
      Marshall JMP Master Volume Combo
      Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
        I haven't owned or played the EVH, but I have a matched set of APH II's in my Hardtail and I love them dearly. The neck is my favorite HB barre none.....and the bridge is right up there. I think the APH does classic and hard rock very well. As a generaly rule I don't like the brightness of an A5.

With that said, several of our VHolic's here on the board have posted clips with the 59' thru a plexi that nail the VH tone, if that's what you're looking for. I really prefer lower output buckers because they have such a great clean voice, and when you overdrive them you get the tone of the guitar and the amp more clearly....not muffled by the output of the pup.

The APH is a very good all around bridge pickup. It's good enough for Slash.......and I love it.
        get a seth lover bridge this pickup has the old VH tone in spades

Comment

You become wiser by the week, my friend!

Comment

Originally posted by Majestic
            You become wiser by the week, my friend!
            Last edited by shreddin_ED; 03-20-2004, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Before spending big bucks on the EVH, try an A2 or A3 magnet in a '59. That should get you pretty close to the EVH. As soon as I get around to it, I have an A3 '59 bridge ready to go into my Wolfgang.

Ryan
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Working...
              X