Need pickup suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need pickup suggestions

I'm putting my old Charvel Fusion Custom back together and am looking at Seymour Duncan pickups - need some suggestions. The guitar uses a single humbucker and originally had (2) double coil pickups that were the size of single coil pickups. They are all F-spaced as I use a floyd rose. My style is hard rock/blues - I want great tone and punch with whatever style I play.

I was thinking of the Screamin' Demon for the bridge, cool rails for the middle position and hot rails for the neck position. The only issue with the Hot Rails is the mounting bracket is too big - the cool rails looks ok.

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks!
    Stephen

Re: Need pickup suggestions

The hot rails is really hot... I've never heard of anyone even trying it in the neck. I've heard good things about the SD for your styles.
    Originally posted by The Minstrel
    Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

I've got a Distortion/Cool Rails/Hot Rails set-up in my Charvel 650xl and that combo screams! The Hot Rails has one of the best lead tones I've ever heard., smooth and powerful. The Distortion is the best metal riffing pickup ever. And the Cool Rails lends some nice versatility to the combo, adding in some smooth overdrive and decent cleans. I had the body routed a tiny bit to accomidate the Hot Rails at the neck. You can also order the pickup without that wedge piece for the same cost, but I was told by the Duncan guy it would take an extra 6 weeks.

For your style, I would think that the Demon would be a good replacement for the bridge. I've not used it but from what I hear, it does produce a very nice, clear, open tone that would be perfect for bluesy hard rock. The Hot Rails might be a little hot for you. It is more suited for super fast shred leads in my opinion. You might be better off putting the Cool Rails in the neck and going with a single coil for the mid. I just ordered a Cool Rails for the neck and a 1/4 pounder for the mid of one of my other Chravels to match up with a JB in the bridge (of course now I am trading that guitar before I can put the pickups in).
      Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. My style is more hard rock - I just have a lot of blues and classical influences. I'm all for shredding with use of harmonics annd feedback so I would think the hotter the pickup, the better.

Originally posted by Travis
        I've got a Distortion/Cool Rails/Hot Rails set-up in my Charvel 650xl and that combo screams! The Hot Rails has one of the best lead tones I've ever heard., smooth and powerful. The Distortion is the best metal riffing pickup ever. And the Cool Rails lends some nice versatility to the combo, adding in some smooth overdrive and decent cleans. I had the body routed a tiny bit to accomidate the Hot Rails at the neck. You can also order the pickup without that wedge piece for the same cost, but I was told by the Duncan guy it would take an extra 6 weeks.

For your style, I would think that the Demon would be a good replacement for the bridge. I've not used it but from what I hear, it does produce a very nice, clear, open tone that would be perfect for bluesy hard rock. The Hot Rails might be a little hot for you. It is more suited for super fast shred leads in my opinion. You might be better off putting the Cool Rails in the neck and going with a single coil for the mid. I just ordered a Cool Rails for the neck and a 1/4 pounder for the mid of one of my other Chravels to match up with a JB in the bridge (of course now I am trading that guitar before I can put the pickups in).

Comment

Working...
        X