DPDT is Jazz bass for S/P: wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPDT is Jazz bass for S/P: wiring?

I'm redoing an '87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz with SD QPs. I want to use two vols and a tone that also has a DPDT, to be wired for series/parallel switching.

I have the standard SD QP wiring diagram plus an SD DPDT diagram that shows the series/parallel mod in a strat.

Can the strat diagram be used for the Jazz in this context? I'm concerned because the J diagram shows the pups going to the vol[s] first, while the DPDT diagram shows the pups going to the DPDT first.

Does this matter?
    '69 Fender Mustang bass
    '69 Gibson EB-1
    '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
    '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
    '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
    '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
    '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
    '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Jazz Bass with Series/Parallel switching

Anyone ever do this???

I have a few different suggested wiring schemes--not sure which to use.
    '69 Fender Mustang bass
    '69 Gibson EB-1
    '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
    '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz

Comment

If I understand your question correctly, here's a couple ways to do this:

This method uses your volume controls as they are already wired, but that presents a possible problem.

Hold down SHIFT and click for full size diagram:

dg27 method 1

The problem with that technique, is that apparently the Jazz Bass connects the output of the pickup to the wiper of the pot. So, if you'll always have the resistance of both volume controls added to pickup - even if one volume control is all the way down. It seems like this would really attenuate your overall volume somewhat.

In the next method, we simply reverse the wiper and end of the pot:

dg27 method 2

I don't have any way to test it, but that method should work better.

Comment

Thanks, Arnie--will have to look these over and compare to what I've got. Will post another diagram I received later.
        '69 Fender Mustang bass
        '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

DPDT--asnother method?

Arne:

Attached is a wiring scheme suggested by Tony Dudzik of www.pickguardian.com.

I'll have to look @ all three, though I agree that the downside of method 1 above probably outweighs the benefits--can I assume that method 2 eliminates this attentuation problem?

The downside of Tony's method is that "You would lose the ability to make the neck PU volume lower than the bridge PU volume."

[That's less of a dilemma, I think.]

If you have a chance, please let what you think of Tony's suggestion. Thanks.
          '69 Fender Mustang bass
          '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Working...
          X