banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

four possibilities: JB-PG, JB-A2P, CC-PG, CC-A2P...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• four possibilities: JB-PG, JB-A2P, CC-PG, CC-A2P...

I'm wondering which of these four combos will give me the best classic rock tone. I'm currently leaning towards JB-A2P, just because I love the A2P sound in my neck, and I think I'll get a little more push out of the JB in the bottom of my SG. My favorite tone, currently, is that of Slash, and that's why I want the A2P in the neck, but could I pull that off with a PG too? I heard it was like an A2P with a little more bite, but will that kill my Slash vibe? Any advice/suggestions/opinions/thoughts welcomed!

- Jeremy

Re: four possibilities: JB-PG, JB-A2P, CC-PG, CC-A2P...

I think you might get closer to Slash with the CC. Good clean and dirty, and it has that aggressive midrangy "snarl" that totally gives me an Appetite for Destruction.
    Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
    Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
    Originally posted by Sosomething
    "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Yeah, a CC in the bridge will get closer to Slash's tone than a JB. I would go with the Alnico II Pro in the neck, that just happens to be my favorite neck pickup ever made. The Pearly Gates will get you close to Slash's neck position tone, but not as close as the Alnico II Pro. If you like a brighter tone, and your guitar is dark sounding, go with the Pearly Gates. But otherwise, I think you'd like the Alnico II Pro better.

Ryan
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

how about a 59 in the bridge? thats killer for classic rock...
        esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
        fender mim standard strat
        peavey classic 30
        johnson j-station
        original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
        dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
        yamaha f-310p acoustic
        taylor 410 acoustic
        "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

I'd 59 it in the bridge, but I need a little bit more, in case someone should have an urge to cover some Black Sabbath or something of that nature. That's about the heaviest I really need to play, I don't do much nu-metal or otherwise of that genre, but I still need to be able to drive Crazy Train out of a Hot Rod Deville 212...

Comment

I had an A2 Pro/DiMarzio airzone combo that was awesome. I am now using the jazz/jb but i may be switching back soon. The Airzone really is a great bridge pup.
            Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Comment

cast my vote for CC-A2P. I am having my new heritage built with that combo to get about the same tone you are describing. I use a Fender twin with a TS9, so my tone is pretty similar to what I imagine you could get out of yours. Scott_F turned me onto the combo and recommended it to me to keep my rig from getting too bright and to give me a nice vintage tone with punch. I would tell you how it is, but I am probably still a couple of months away from my guitar's completion.
              Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

Originally posted by JSS
                I'd 59 it in the bridge, but I need a little bit more, in case someone should have an urge to cover some Black Sabbath or something of that nature. That's about the heaviest I really need to play, I don't do much nu-metal or otherwise of that genre, but I still need to be able to drive Crazy Train out of a Hot Rod Deville 212...

i thought toni iommio actually uses 59's now......could be wrong....
                esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                fender mim standard strat
                peavey classic 30
                johnson j-station
                original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                yamaha f-310p acoustic
                taylor 410 acoustic
                "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes
                  i thought toni iommio actually uses 59's now......could be wrong....
                  Doesn't Iommi use his own Gibson Tony Iommi pickups?

Comment

Working...
                  X