No announcement yet.

DiMarzio Super Distortion = Duncan (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio Super Distortion = Duncan (?)

Which Duncan pup is closest sounding to a DiMarzio Super Distortion?
    Ibanez RG1570: stock
    Squier Strat: stock

Next on the list: an amp that isn't crap!

Re: DiMarzio Super Distortion = Duncan (?)

Anybody?

Comment

nothing, dimarzio has their own unique sound and no duncan sound like it.

Comment

Ok that's fair, what about the EQ? Is the Super Distortion EQ'd similarly to anything?

Comment

i dont know, so ill bump
          esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
          fender mim standard strat
          peavey classic 30
          johnson j-station
          original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
          dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
          yamaha f-310p acoustic
          taylor 410 acoustic
          "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

the closest thing by Eq?
            owuld probably be the invader, but the inavder is ALOT hotter than the SD.
            i think the SD is the best pickup that dimarzio makes, if you want to hear what it sounds like, here are some clips of the Super Distortion:

it's the first at the top:

Comment

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/
              the closest thing by Eq?
              owuld probably be the invader, but the inavder is ALOT hotter than the SD.
              i think the SD is the best pickup that dimarzio makes, if you want to hear what it sounds like, here are some clips of the Super Distortion:

it's the first at the top:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/lpshreddersmusic.htm
              Was that B.R.O. you were playing? Sounds really good! On the DM site, it says Paul Gilbert uses the Super Distortion, but on the PGM site (site that shows all of his guitars) most of his PGMs are equipped with PAF Pros. The Super IS the pup I want!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stratoplayer
                Was that B.R.O. you were playing? Sounds really good! On the DM site, it says Paul Gilbert uses the Super Distortion, but on the PGM site (site that shows all of his guitars) most of his PGMs are equipped with PAF Pros. The Super IS the pup I want!!!
                no, i just hit record and started playing. paul ised 2 supers when he was in racer x, his ibanez models that are available in the US have paf pros, but in his personal guitars he hasd a whole array of pickups. from the tone zone, to paf pro, to super distortions, etc. but it looks like the super is what you want.
                what guiatr is it going in to?

Comment

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/
                  no, i just hit record and started playing. paul ised 2 supers when he was in racer x, his ibanez models that are available in the US have paf pros, but in his personal guitars he hasd a whole array of pickups. from the tone zone, to paf pro, to super distortions, etc. but it looks like the super is what you want.
                  what guiatr is it going in to?
                  It would be going into an Ibanez RG1570: basswood, rosewood fretboard, locking trem. Honestly, I have always liked the tone of the super distortion, but it was your clip that made me want to get one cause I could've sworn you were playing B.R.O., sounded very very similar, which is the tone I'm looking for.

Comment

yeah the super is a great pickup, tell me how you like when you get it installed.

Comment

I think the Dimarzio SD sounds very dark compared to the Duncan line.. It has more bass and mids than say the Duncan Distortion in my humble opinion, but works great on a trem guitar that bleeds off the treble.. It reminds me of the CC or maybe the Custom in some ways.. but hotter.. Very hot pickup.. kinda muddy to me.. or at least it was in my Paul Gilbert Ibanez I had.. I'm trading for a Heavy Metal Strat which is supposed to have a Dimarzio Super Distortion 3 which I guess is even heavier in the bass department.. I hope it sounds like the Dimarzio Tone Zone which I thought was Dimarzio's best pickup that I've heard.. I like their single coil noiseless pickups too! They are truly Noiseless, or at least in the guitar I played them in they were.. A strat..
                      Tim
                      Tim..

Comment

Originally posted by DotNetTim
                        I think the Dimarzio SD sounds very dark compared to the Duncan line.. It has more bass and mids than say the Duncan Distortion in my humble opinion, but works great on a trem guitar that bleeds off the treble.. It reminds me of the CC or maybe the Custom in some ways.. but hotter.. Very hot pickup.. kinda muddy to me.. or at least it was in my Paul Gilbert Ibanez I had.. I'm trading for a Heavy Metal Strat which is supposed to have a Dimarzio Super Distortion 3 which I guess is even heavier in the bass department.. I hope it sounds like the Dimarzio Tone Zone which I thought was Dimarzio's best pickup that I've heard.. I like their single coil noiseless pickups too! They are truly Noiseless, or at least in the guitar I played them in they were.. A strat..
                        Tim
                        super 3 is a very mid heavy pickup
                        and the tone zone has more mids and bass than the super distortion. and your right the tremolo makes it sound better!
                        but the guitar doesn't have a tone pot, so that makes it even brighter. i may put it in my les paul to replace to the DD which im selling.

Comment

Originally posted by DotNetTim
                          Tim
                          The Super3 has slightly less bass than the Super Distortion but more mids. It results in a slightly punchier tighter feel IMO. I had the Super Distortion in my Kramer....was a touch muddy cause of the longer scale length and slightly boomy too.....put a Super3 in and problem solved.

I love the SuperDistortion in Les Pauls though....goes great for those 80's type hard rock sounds. Here's a clip:

Comment

the duncan invader has way les treble than the super. i actually found it quit muddy. and the super is def not muddy. im putting actually putting it back in my strat and taking out my tone zone. not because the tone zone is muddy at all. i just hate all the bass and mids.
                            Down at the edge, close by a river.
                            Close to the edge, round by the corner.
                            Close to the end, down by the corner.
                            Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

I personally was (still am) a big fan of the DiMarzio SD. I now have a Custom in my Epi LP Custom and find it to be the closest to a SD... less output, a little less fat with a similar high-end - I hate ear-bleeding pups, and none of them are - I did not compare the tone chart, I'm stating that from what I hear.

The Custom is a little more "vintage" in tone, yet so many people used the SD in the 70s that it's actually a vintage rock pup of some sort.

I always wonder if i'm not gonna do back to the SD... I think about that very often

Gibson Les Paul Traditional
                              Norman B50 Acoustic Guitar

Comment

Working...
                              X