Need help with p/u selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with p/u selection

I've got a Schecter A-1 with Duncan Designed pickups (whatever came stock with the guitar). I can't find out for sure, but supposedly the bridge pickup is basically a Duncan Distortion. I've been wanting to swap the pickups out for either a '59 or a Jazz in the neck, and probably a Distortion in the bridge.

My question is this: if the Duncan Designed version that I already have is based on the Distortion pickup, will putting in a real Duncan Distortion make much difference? Is there really much separating the SH-6 with the Duncan Designed version?

Also, I want a pickup that will basically be able to make my ears bleed. I play a lot of death metal, and I've been going back and forth between the Distortion and the Dimebucker. Are those my best options if I stick with passive pickups?

Re: Need help with p/u selection

I am in the exact same boat as you only I have already done some pickup swapping. The distortion is in my shecter C-1 PLUS now but I actually like the duncan design a little more for the body of tone compared to the thin/compressed sound of the lead stuff for the distortion. The chunk is good for static x, manson etc. Not the openness of Sepultura/roots although for all I know they use the distortion pickup??? Definately a hot pickup. Good for clean if you back off the volume abot 3 notches. I think you would like the distortion. As for me, I need something with a little less gain as I use a dual rectifier and like to get the gain from the tubes as opposed to the pickup.
    Check out my band at www.klinkdetroit.com
    My bands links:

PEDL
    www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
    www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
    www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

Working...
    X