phat cat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phat cat?

has anyone played these yet? I am interested in hearing thoughts about these pickups. I'm looking for a P-90 which is clear and bright and not muddy at all. How do these stack up? I'm contemplating getting some of these (since I'm a big Duncan fan) or just getting SKguitar to make me a custom model P-90 in a humbucker size...

Re: phat cat?

I am getting a custom neck version when the Custom shop gets time to wind it
    My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

They're great. They sound and behave pretty much like P90s to my ears. If that 60-cycle hum bothers you, these don't. Mine are about as quiet as humbuckers in all positions.

Comment

Love em.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I have 'em in an Ibanez JS Hardtail. The tone is big with the upper-mid range detail of a single-coil, but not at thin as a Strat or Tele. I guess what I'm describing is a P-90.

Also, compared to the SP90-1's in my SweeTone JazzR, the Cats are much quieter; which, I think, has to do with the extra shielding afforded by the nickel-silver cover.
          Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
          Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

I have one in the neck slot of a Tele and it sounds good to me. It's definitely in the P90 ballpark as far as I can tell -- big, fat, open, single coil tone. It does hum some, but it has less hum and more output than overwound Strat pickups and most of the real P90's I've heard. It is hum-canceling when combined with a Phat Cat bridge or a Tele JD bridge pickup. I'm glad they make 'em.
            Last edited by Kelsey; 05-11-2004, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X