Not to impressed by the JB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Not to impressed by the JB

I have the JB in 2 guitars currently, a Shaller Floyd loaded MIA Strat and an 86 RG 550. Both guitars sound killer and I don't run into any issues with brightness, lack of bottom or anything else. It really does have everything to do with the guitars and amps used as well as pedals and everything else in your signal chain.

The JB is SDs best selling pickup for a number of reasons. The list of recordings using the JB is long and rather impressive. I think more than anything else you picked the LP over the other guitars and I'd hazard a guess that with JBs loaded into all the guitars you tried, you'd still pick the LP over the others.

Solid state amp in a music store, four different guitars and four different pickups. There are way too many variables in that scenario to make a judgement call on the JBs tone. If the guitars weren't set-up the same then you have to factor that in as well, and music store setups are hit and miss to say the least.

While the JB may not be right for you and there is no sin in that, I doubt you heard it in it's best light. Set me up with a solid tube amp and my JB loaded Strat in front of a GC and I could sell a bunch of JBs. If you get the rest of the rig right it's not hard to get a JB to sound killer.

It still sounds like you need a LP and not a new pickup to me. At least to my ears and possibly yours as well, the tone of a LP is hard to beat.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

I may have the oportunety of buying a pair of invaders allmost for the price of one, and they are suposed to be barely used. The guy lives in my town so I will meet him personaly, and I can see them before I buy.
      But got to test the Invader some more tomorow at the store

Invaders is said to be good for metal

Comment

Originally posted by fenderiarhs
        i've got the JB in one of my strats and i must say it is one of my favorite pickups although i agree with you on the fact it could use a little bit more bass or low mids.If you didn't like the JB i would reccomend you the emg85....i know most people use it on the neck position but i use it on the bridge position of my 93am.std strat and it's my No1 pickup.Perfect bass, the warmest low mids,and reasonable highs.
        HAILS MAN
        WHAT ABOUT THAT SOUNDSAMPLES OF THE EMG 85 WITH FULL DISTORTION IN TEH BRIDGE?
        anotehr thing i want to ask is : how about the midds on the emg 85?
        how are they?
        you talked about teh bass and highs, not the midds.
        Q
        Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
        Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
        Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
        Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
        Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
        Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
        Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
        Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

As earlyer stated, I can get a second hand Invader for a good price.
          I played it today on a marshall stack and a metalzone, and it was VERY good. My favorite over the gibson 498T. And the invader was in a much cheaper Fender! JB is a good PU, but not for my use. It sounds like my strat.. Maybe I hvae one in it...

How important is it to use a trembucker with a guitar with Floyd? My Jackson's stringwith down at the trem is a few milimeter slimer than my Fender actualy.

Comment

if youre getting an invader, dont worry about spacing. if you can get two invaders cheap, why not do it.

the emg 85 has slightly pulled back mids, not big and pumped up like the 81

Comment

I have to admit i did not give the JB as much of a chance as i should have i should have tried it with a 250K pot or at least with the tone pot hooked up? in my guitar it was too trebley and not enough bass

Comment

Working...
              X