JB jr. + poplar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB jr. + poplar

I want a humbucker sound in my fender MiM strat. I like the JB jr. sound a lot, but I don't know if the tone of the pickup is to high for a poplar-body. Some people advise to take a lill '59, which is a lot warmer. Which pickup would u choose? (I won't take a Hotrails because of its horrible clean)

Thanks in advance!

Stinooo

Re: JB jr. + poplar

welcome to the forum

i had a jb jr in a poplar guitar once and i didn't like it. It was in the bridge position of a MIM standard strat. It had highs that i could not seem to tame no matter what i tried. If i had that guitar still i would wire it differently with a bland pot but i didn't know how to do that back then. I would say go for the lil 59 or a full sized humbucker but thats just my two cents.
    Cleveland Guitars

Comment

okay, thanks for your advice... I love the JB sound a lot and want that sound also on my poplar strat. So if anyone has good suggestions...

Comment

put a full sized jb in there. the single coil sized jbjr doesn't sound the same to me.
        Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Don't know about the JB.jr in a poplar strat but i know a hotrailin the bridge of a poplar MIM strat kicks A$$ I don't really have a huge problem with the cleans, it can distort a bit though. Anotehr idea would be to use the neck pick up for cleans thats what i do. right now ima ctually considering changing it for a lil 59 though, mjianly because id rather have a more vintage type of sound over a crazy high output pick up. I would avoid the JB.jr my mian reason for choosing the hotrails over the Jbjr. was becasue of its brightness
          Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Hotrails is distorting too much when you play it clean, so I won't choose this one. Maybe the lil'59, which has more bass and has a warm distortion which compares with the trebly poplar...

Comment

Working...
            X