The Custom 5's EQ scares me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Custom 5's EQ scares me.

I'm trading my Alnico Pro II for a C5 and I just went to www.guitarelectronics.com and saw their personal tone chart of Seymour Duncans line of pickups. The massive amount of bass scares me. I'm thinking its going to be overwhelming and muddy. I rather have a lo-medium bass and let the amp add more if I choose. I don't want to have to set my bass to 0 on the amp. The guitar its going into is a 99' LP Custom.....mohogany body and neck, maple top and ebony fretboard. Almost a year ago I was demoing a Bogner Uberschall with a Tokia (spelling?) LP copy with a C5 and it sounded good and I don't remember having an issue with the bass. I need some comfort...... someone hold me and tell me its going to be alright and that I'll love the C5

Gear pics
    Amps
    Guitars

Bogner Shiva EL34
    Shiva demo

Bogner Uberschall
    High Gain #1
    High Gain #2

Re: The Custom 5's EQ scares me.

I just went to that site and the difference between the humbecker C5 and the trembucker was a surprise. The humbuckers eq was: bass 8 mid 4 treble 8 The trembucker C5 was: bass 7 mid 6 treble 9. The trembucker was hotter with a 7/9 rating while the humbucker was 4/9 rating. The trembuckers other specs were14.1 ohms and 6.0 kz. While the humbucker was:14.4 ohms and 5.5kz. I thought the only difference was supposed to be string spacing??? Now I am left with another question? Which one is better in a mohagony bodied flame maple top maple neck rosewood fingerboard Schecter C-1+ ??????????
    My bands links:

PEDL
    www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
    www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
    www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

I almost forgot the trembucker C5 is said to have a ceramic magnet and the standard C5 humbucker is said to have a alnicoV?????? Whats the real deal, is this just a typo or is there really a difference in the trembucker C5 and the humbucker C5 other than string spacing????????????
      My bands links:

PEDL

TREBLE BLEED

KLINK

Comment

i dont think there is a difference between the trembucker and the standard

the C5s bass ( i play in a les paul) is not TOO much like say, an Invader, which can sometimes offer too much bass

the C5's is more defined punchy opposed to being so FAT and muddy... idk, i didnt have a problem with the bass, i was just desribe it as strong, but not overwhelming, it was kick A S S
        http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
        >cord<
        1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Originally posted by KLINKDETROIT
          I almost forgot the trembucker C5 is said to have a ceramic magnet and the standard C5 humbucker is said to have a alnicoV?????? Whats the real deal, is this just a typo or is there really a difference in the trembucker C5 and the humbucker C5 other than string spacing????????????
          That is obviously a typo because it states the exact same description and spec for the Duncan Custom Trembucker.

Gear pics
          Amps
          Guitars

Bogner Shiva EL34
          Shiva demo

Bogner Uberschall
          High Gain #1
          High Gain #2

Comment

I'll hold your hand all the way from strats to McCarties to LP Stds and Customs....
            The Custom 5 became my favorite humbucker after using most of the other Duncan humbuckers, and even Fralin and Holmes. It sounds tight and percussive in the lows, neutral in the mids, which lets the guitar's wood and your amp dictate the mids, and the highs are sweet and airy, similar to vintage. Forget all the comment's about "scooped." It just doesn't have a strong midrange voice masking your natural mids. If your amp has crappy mids, you'll think the C-5 is scooped. If you know tone, and all the rest of the aspects of your signal path are top notch, you'll love the C-5. I've used most Duncan bridge humbuckers and almost all of them have been sold to accomodate nickel covered Custom 5's, or black tremspaced, which is in one of my H-S-S strats, as well as a G&L Invader. Each guitar still has it's own sound, but I can tell my tone sounds best to me when the guitar has this pickup.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Do you find that the covers change the sound?
              My bands links:

PEDL

TREBLE BLEED

KLINK

Comment

Here's my Custom 5 "Wall of tonal delight" If you think the C-5 may be too scooped sounding, stick your head between these two badboys.

Comment

Ah yes.....fellow Bogner owner I've been meaning to PM you back.....sorry I imagine the Bogners have plenty of mids anyways. If the bass is tight and percussive and the highs open and clear then I will fall in love with this pickup. But if its boomy and sloppy on the low end then ......... Thanks for holding my hand........I feel a little better now

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                  I'll hold your hand all the way from strats to McCarties to LP Stds and Customs....
                  The Custom 5 became my favorite humbucker after using most of the other Duncan humbuckers, and even Fralin and Holmes. It sounds tight and percussive in the lows, neutral in the mids, which lets the guitar's wood and your amp dictate the mids, and the highs are sweet and airy, similar to vintage. Forget all the comment's about "scooped." It just doesn't have a strong midrange voice masking your natural mids. If your amp has crappy mids, you'll think the C-5 is scooped. If you know tone, and all the rest of the aspects of your signal path are top notch, you'll love the C-5. I've used most Duncan bridge humbuckers and almost all of them have been sold to accomodate nickel covered Custom 5's, or black tremspaced, which is in one of my H-S-S strats, as well as a G&L Invader. Each guitar still has it's own sound, but I can tell my tone sounds best to me when the guitar has this pickup.

Gear pics
                  Amps
                  Guitars

Bogner Shiva EL34
                  Shiva demo

Bogner Uberschall
                  High Gain #1
                  High Gain #2

Comment

Here's my Custom 5 "Wall of tonal delight" If you think the C-5 may be too scooped sounding, stick your head between these two badboys.

Ah I have to show my amps now.......

Gear pics
                    Amps
                    Guitars

Bogner Shiva EL34
                    Shiva demo

Bogner Uberschall
                    High Gain #1
                    High Gain #2

Comment

F'in NICE, man! Another amp joneser! I've been buying and selling several Bogners this past year. I have a picture that reminds me of yours, where I have a wall of Bogners. I've sold several, but I gotta get this picture on here. I've got like 3 Ecstasy heads on 2 Bogner 4-12's and 1 large 2-12. It's a beautiful thing. I love your collection! You GOTTA give us a A/B/C review of that 101B, REC, and Powerball!
                      That is some HIGH GAIN SICKNESS! LOL

Comment

F'in NICE, man! Another amp joneser! I've been buying and selling several Bogners this past year. I have a picture that reminds me of yours, where I have a wall of Bogners. I've sold several, but I gotta get this picture on here. I've got like 3 Ecstasy heads on 2 Bogner 4-12's and 1 large 2-12. It's a beautiful thing. I love your collection! You GOTTA give us a A/B/C review of that 101B, REC, and Powerball!
                        That is some HIGH GAIN SICKNESS! LOL
                        How much does a Bogner run for? Say in the US... Cheapest-Most expensive i mean...
                        <Insert awesome equipment here>

Fender MIM Midnite Wine Satin Strat
                        Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue Amp
                        Boss BD-2 Blues Driver overdrive

and a couple guitar picks

Comment

Originally posted by stevie ray
                          How much does a Bogner run for? Say in the US... Cheapest-Most expensive i mean...

Brand new the prices are a little rediculous and Bogner just this past March had a price increase

Bogner Ecstasy Head (EL-34's or 6L6's) List $3550. Class A/AB Switch List $250 Indivdual Line-Out control for each channel $100 Metal Grill $165 ''Medusa 7 function Switching Cable $125 Classic option ''for a wide open sound with less compression'' $650

Bogner Metropolis 15 Watt head List$1850 ,15 Watt 1X12'' Combo List $2050 ,30 Watt Head List $1950 ,30 Watt 1X12'' Combo List $2200 ,30 Watt 2X12'' Combo List $2400 ,Tube driven reverb List $350 ,Reverb TONE & DRIVE Controls List $150

Bogner Shiva Head (w/ EL-34's or 6L6's) List $2100 1X12'' Combo List $2350 2X10'' Combo List $2350 2X12'' Combo List $2550 Individual Tube Reverb for each channel List $350

Bogner Uberschall Head List $2850 Metal Grill $165

Gear pics
                          Amps
                          Guitars

Bogner Shiva EL34
                          Shiva demo

Bogner Uberschall
                          High Gain #1
                          High Gain #2

Comment

i just sent my 101b to bogner to have the classic mod done. can't wait to get it back.

Comment

those rigs are sick guys.... but i wont fret, i got me trust ole twin....he does his job well
                              http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
                              >cord<
                              1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Working...
                              X