Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Custom 5's EQ scares me.

Brent -

This is just a thought, but I switched my H/S/S Strat with a Custom 5 in the bridge to a control layout with master volume, master tone (treble cut), master bass cut. The wiring is like the G&L Legacy - I really like having the bass strong on the amp, keeping it rolled down a bit most of the time on the guitar but being able to bump it up on the fly when I want some extra umph.

Based on your gear alone, I'm certain that you've got much more experience than I do, so this is just food for thought.

Chip
    Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
    Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
    Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
    SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
    SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
    "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

I had the C-5 in a Les Paul Standard and thought it was nice. It was a little thicker and smoother than the Burstbucker Pros to my ears but others think I'm crazy..LOL! Seriously, I think the BB Pros are more vintage and great pickups also, but the C-5 added that extra output I wanted to go from classic rock, to blues, to modern metal if I so desired. I hear people say they are thin on the high strings but I didn't find that to be the case......wel maybe a tad......but I needed more tweak time for sure.

I am going to replace the magnet with a ceramic because I have to try the Custom or the guys on the forum will kill me! LOL! After that it may be back top the C-5 or the Rio Grande BBQ.

Lots of guys go on to the high end stuff like the Fillmores, Holmes, Fralins.....etc..etc. I am sure this is killer stuff but I just see how many guys get amazing tones from Duncans, Dimarzio, Gibson, Rios, etc so I feel like I don't need to spend that much on pickups.

Anyway, it's good to see guys like you and gearjoneser using Duncans knowing you guys are serious tone hounds. It is obvious from the amps.

gearjoneser,
      You have me wanting nickle covers as all of my buckers are either zebra or open black coil. I have found the open coils open up the sound a bit. Then again, I know guys using covers with HUGE tone. Go figure.
      Last edited by papersoul; 05-11-2004, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
        I had the C-5 in a Les Paul Standard and thought it was nice. It was a little thicker and smoother than the Burstbucker Pros to my ears but others think I'm crazy..LOL! Seriously, I think the BB Pros are more vintage and great pickups also, but the C-5 added that extra output I wanted to go from classic rock, to blues, to modern metal if I so desired. I hear people say they are thin on the high strings but I didn't find that to be the case......wel maybe a tad......but I needed more tweak time for sure.

I am going to replace the magnet with a ceramic because I have to try the Custom or the guys on the forum will kill me! LOL! After that it may be back top the C-5 or the Rio Grande BBQ.

Lots of guys go on to the high end stuff like the Fillmores, Holmes, Fralins.....etc..etc. I am sure this is killer stuff but I just see how many guys get amazing tones from Duncans, Dimarzio, Gibson, Rios, etc so I feel like I don't need to spend that much on pickups.

Anyway, it's good to see guys like you and gearjoneser using Duncans knowing you guys are serious tone hounds. It is obvious from the amps.

gearjoneser,
        You have me wanting nickle covers as all of my buckers are either zebra or open black coil. I have found the open coils open up the sound a bit. Then again, I know guys using covers with HUGE tone. Go figure.
        Well I have tried the "boutique" pickups. I try not let my decisions be based on brands or status....I let my ears make the decision. In my opinion the Duncan line are the best pickups for my style.

So I don't misslead anyone, the second pic with the amps stacked above I do not own anymore. I sold everything a few months ago and kept the Uberschall and Shiva which is in the first pic. It would have been oh so nice to be able to keep all of those amps but kinda silly to keep them all unless I had a working studio. Plus I needed to fund my guitar GAS

Gear pics
        Amps
        Guitars

Bogner Shiva EL34
        Shiva demo

Bogner Uberschall
        High Gain #1
        High Gain #2

Comment

someone here was kind enough to let me give him a phone call to hear the C 5 in action after i also was very concerned about the midrange dip, and it did not sound all that drastically scooped at all,it sounded very full and balanced nice! i may opt for it over the regular custom now!

Comment

Originally posted by RG 2570
            someone here was kind enough to let me give him a phone call to hear the C 5 in action after i also was very concerned about the midrange dip, and it did not sound all that drastically scooped at all,it sounded very full and balanced nice! i may opt for it over the regular custom now!
            The Duncan site and description says the C-5 is more full than the Custom and that was one thing that kept me from trying the Custom for so long.

Let us know if you get it and try it in your LP. I'd love to hear your thoughts since so mnay find it lacking in mids or thin on the high strings. I have to admit I gigged twice with a C-5 loaded LP and never felt like I was lost in the mix. Every guitarist in the audience heard me fine!
            Last edited by papersoul; 05-12-2004, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Hi, a Duncan newbie here ...

I just bought a Custom 5 for the bridge position in my SG Special ...

One question ... going by the direction the Seymour Duncan logo is facing, it looks like the screw polepieces will NOT be next to the bridge, it will be the non-screw polepieces ...

Does this seem unusual for a bridge pickup?

If you look at the pic on the Duncan site of the Custom 5 (SH14) it definitely appears to match the description I've given above, suggesting that my pickup is indeed a stock/standard Custom 5 ...

(Especially confusing because the pic of the TB14 has the screw polepieces at the bottom, the 'normal' way) ...

I just don't remember ever having seen a bridge pickup before with the screw polepieces pointing towards the neck (thus looking like a neck pickup)?

Just need some confirmation that this is the way the Custom 5 is meant to be, before my instincts get the better of me and I install it with the logo upside down

Comment

Ryan; My C5 has the logo right-side up when the adjustable coils are near the bridge.

I wonder if they got the cover backwards on yours.

Comment

Cheers for the reply Artie - is your C5 a regular-spaced (non-trembucker) humbucker?

Comment

I've got them both and personally, I don't know why people are saying the C5 is scooped sounding. To me it almost has too much midrange and not enough top end. I like the Custom more for classic rock but my all time favorite is the Pearly Gates. YMMV.
                    Owner:
                    Slamo Custom Guitars
                    Doc Simons Miracle Guitar Polish

Comment

Originally posted by frankencat
                      I've got them both and personally, I don't know why people are saying the C5 is scooped sounding. To me it almost has too much midrange and not enough top end. I like the Custom more for classic rock but my all time favorite is the Pearly Gates. YMMV.
                      Wouldn't you say the C-5 is even more classic rock though??

Comment

For bridge/lead tone I would have to pick the Custom over the C5. The C5 is just too "warm" sounding to be a good rock lead pickup whereas the Custom has the same basic sound but with a bit more "rudeness" to it and more singing top end. It is slowly becoming one of my favorite bridge pickups for my Jacksons.
                        Owner:
                        Slamo Custom Guitars
                        Doc Simons Miracle Guitar Polish

Comment

Working...
                        X