fender lace sensor pups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fender lace sensor pups

ok so like a week ago i went down to my local guitar shop (mammoth music) and over in the used section was a fender fat strat with a Jb in the bridge (which was fricken awsome by the way) but in the singel coil slots were 2 fender lace sensor pups. now i have read and heard good things about these so i tried um out. im not completely sure but i think the one in the neck was the "single coil" lace pup and the one in the middle was the classic "50's humbucker" lace pup. i was blown away! these pups sounded sweet- all 3 of um! (of course it was a no-brainer that the Jb was gona rock!) man i just could not set the thing down. the single coil was so open and warm- like a classic Hendrix tone, and the 50's humbucker was soooooo warm and sweet. have any of u tried these out? i just have never heard about these pups on any thread, so i figured i would start one. let me know what u think!
    Last edited by clint_41; 05-11-2004, 05:54 PM. Reason: need to change a word
    my gear: '80s fender bullet (tele style)
    fender dg20ce acoustic
    peavey blazer 15 watt
    line 6 pod 2.3 and floorboard
    Atomic Reactor 112
    Warmoth double fat strat w/ SD Jb bridge and Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell

Re: fender lace sensor pups

For some reason, Fender actually did do a nice job on those Lace Sensor pups. I find they have a nice rounded tone, but can be quite harsh too, depending on your amp's EQ, and maybe your effects.
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666
      For some reason, Fender actually did do a nice job on those Lace Sensor pups. I find they have a nice rounded tone, but can be quite harsh too, depending on your amp's EQ, and maybe your effects.
      That's because fender didn't make them. AGI (Actodine) Don Lace products made ( make) those pups. I haven't found a Fender pup I've liked, well ever.

Lace's are pretty good.

Breakdown by Color ( color of writing on pup)
      Blue : 50's style HB tone
      Silver: Fat strat tone
      Gold: Vintage Strat tone
      Red: Hot Single coil ( but to me sounded like a HB almost like a Cool rail)

Have their own vibe. I still use the gold as the middle pup in one of my strats
      Last edited by Big Mike Blues; 05-12-2004, 02:27 PM.
      Playing:
      Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
      Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
      Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
      Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Comment

i've got the red/silver/blue set on my stratocaster, and I love them. It really nails a lot of the siamese dream era "corgan tone". I especially love the blue lace sensor ... damn that pickup is so ****ing good. I am a fan of lace sensors. that blue one... so awesome. No words can seem to sum up how great I think it is. The tone is wonderful... it's like it gives the sound a protective coating... like a womb.

these little dancing ghost/marshmallow things are in honor of the blue lace sensor

Comment

Although I don't own any of them, I've used them in passing, and yeah, they are their own thing, and they do sound good, the red is not really a fav of mine, something kinda missing there, can't describe it. To me if the others were rated as 10s the red would be more like a 7.5~8 as far as how much I liked 'em. They are nice pups though, well worth having a set in a guitar.
          I've often wanted to put five of them in a strat style guitar, kinda mimicing a H/S/H set up ... probably bridge to neck would be ... Silver, Red , Gold, Blue, Gold ... wht do you guys think ... what would you match up in that order. Not trying to jump the post, but clint_41 just reminded me of this.
          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

I have the red/silver/blue set in my strat as well...I love the clean tones out of the sensors.

I have since switched out the red bridge pickup for a Duncan Custom since I play a lot of rock songs. This new combination is killer! It makes my strat super versatile.
            thereveling.com

Comment

Originally posted by CorganIsGood
              these little dancing ghost/marshmallow things are in honor of the blue lace sensor

theyre scotts dancing sheep!!

the lace pups are cool. it sounds like you may have tried a gold neck, blue middle combo going by your descriptions. i have a set of hot golds made for me by donzo over at the lace custom shop, 8.2 neck, 7.2 middle, 14.4 bridge, that i like alot. its the best lace setup ive ever played.
              the blue/silver/red combo is very versitle and probably the most common.

as for the 5 lace setup using the normal colors, id go (bridge to neck) red, silver, gold, blue, gold. same as yours with the red and silver switched.

Comment

I had a Strat plus for awhile and they were nice pickups, real punchy. My buddy still has his and at this point I think they have more oomph than I prefer. I like lower output stuff through the non master heads I have. They sound great with modern gear, but have not missed them that much.
                ]
                FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

I own a Strat Ultra that came with dual red lace (B), gold (M), and blue (N).

I am not a big fan of these pu's, and am planning to replace them. The dual red crapped out on me shortly after the warranty expired. The blue lace sounds pretty good for a variety of styles, but as with all lace sensors and most other (relatively)noiseless pu's, it doesn't really nail a humbucker or single coil vibe, it's just different. I will say the gold lace does allow for some good in between sounds at the 2 and four positions.

I think I'm just ready for something new.
                  Fender U.S. Strat Ultra (in the mail: Fralin P.A.F./Kinman Woodstock/Kinman Woodstock)
                  Ibanez RG 560

Peavey 5150 1/2 Stack

Boss Giga Delay
                  Boss Metal Zone
                  Boss Super Chorus
                  Dunlop Crybaby
                  Ibanez Tube Screamer

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
                    theyre scotts dancing sheep!!
                    They have those in Texas, cool! I've been wanting a set for the backyard ...
                    Yeah I just liked the idea of having the red in the warmer/fatter position, and the silver in the brighter/thinner position; my thinking was the red would give a better bridge HB tone there, and the silver a better single coil bridge tone. Money permitting I might have to just do the experiment one day ...
                    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

FWIW... I had a set of Lace pickups in my Strat Plus. Yuk. bland, sterile and without character. Replaced them with Texas Hot Antiquity/Gibson minihumbucker, and gave the Lace Sensors to a friend.
                      "One other thing... I think it rips through your clothes when it takes you over...."
                      R.J. MacReady, John Carpenter's The Thing

http://www.myspace.com/PegasusActualMusic
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dzNCgX0QW0

http://www.soundclick.com/randymcfarland
                      http://www.soundclick.com/randotones

Comment

Working...
                      X