Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the EMG 81

Hi guys

I was sifting through the threads here and I noticed many ppl have different things to say about the EMG 81. Some say its very trebly and midrangey, or too much so.... some seem to think its bassy! So I was wondering what all of you thought, and then we can have all the opinions on this pup in one thread.

Nick
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Re: Thoughts on the EMG 81

Originally posted by Metalman_666
    Hi guys

I was sifting through the threads here and I noticed many ppl have different things to say about the EMG 81. Some say its very trebly and midrangey, or too much so.... some seem to think its bassy! So I was wondering what all of you thought, and then we can have all the opinions on this pup in one thread.

Nick
    all i can say is that IF zakk wylde, jeff hanneman,kerry king, kirk hamett,james hetfield, james murphy, and a crap load of others love them so much they must me great!
    I tried a KH esp sig guitar through a mesa rectifier and man it was devastating!
    big low end,crunching mids,and searing trebles.
    through a JCM 800 reissue it still sounded real good but a lot different of course more like slayer and the mesa sounded like old metallica

Comment

I am not a big fan of the emg81...i think it is a bit exagerated and has a lot of highs which i don't like.I think the emg85 is a much better design than the 81.

Comment

to my view, one of the best pickups out there, especially for lead playing.
        Guitars:
        -Ibanez RG2820CTTW Limited Edition (with Dimarzio Steve's Special bridge and Air Norton neck)
        -Peavey Harley Peavey Signature Guitar
        -Admira spanish classical guitar

Amps:
        - Line6 POD 2.3 Rack with poweramp and cab
        - Marshall 1st Generation Valvestate combo
        SHREDDING IN THE HOLY LAND

Comment

Hi I have to agree pound for pound the 81 can obtain all the classic rock tones of the 80's and all of the modern tones of todays Nu-Metallers. After all unless you are into other musical styles then yep maybe the 81 is not for you but at the end of the day I have not found one thing that I don't like about it and if it sounds too trebly turn your amp settings to compenste and if its bassy dial in more treble. I think with all pick-ups you can expect to do some tweaking to get the sound where you are happy at and whether its an EMG or Seymour,Di-Marzio or whatever nearly always you will end up as near as possible to the sound you're looking for. Kammo1

Comment

I think it depends on what guitar you put them in.I have a Emg81 in my 91 Les paul classic and it sounds killer with the 85 in the neck.I had a pair of 81's in my ibanez rg520 but I changed those to duncans which I glad I did.

Comment

what wood do you find best compliments those active beauties?
              • G&L Tribute Comanche
              • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4

Comment

Just about any wood, as long as it's good in the first place.

Active pickups are said to ignore many tonewood qualities when compared to passives.
                || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Put the EMG in a cardboard guitar and it will be sheaper , you will still have a smoking sound !!!

Comment

I had an 81 in my old ibanez s. It was really big and bold in the bottom. soloing seemed to come easily (there weren't a lot of weird noises from other strings or from the sound of the frets being scraped). but i found the thing very sterile. I didn't find that the notes articulated well, particularly when distorted and as I like to play a lot of funky chords this made my work more difficult. M7th's just sounded like crap when I was playing them, and forget about 13ths.
                    Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

I have it in my MIM strat and I think it's a great lead pickup. Rythms are simply chunky, you can get a ridicolous amount of gain! Cleans are decent, pretty bright too. In a strat it sounds way better than in a les paul type guitar. I play some jazz on it, too.
                      Matteo P.
                      Aka Invader
                      Toys:
                      - MIM Strat with Antiquities
                      - MM J. Petrucci 7 String
                      - Duncan Invader
                      - Kent Armstrong Hot Rails
                      - Air norton
                      - Steves Special
                      - EMG 81

Comment

has anyone who complains about EMG's being sterile ever tried the 18 volt mod? that's supposed to breathe new life into the pups
                        • G&L Tribute Comanche

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666
                          has anyone who complains about EMG's being sterile ever tried the 18 volt mod? that's supposed to breathe new life into the pups
                          I have, and it makes them sound A LOT better. Big improvement, but they still have that EMG vibe. I like 'em alot, just favor passives now after using EMG's for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                          X