Hi Output & Hi Gain vs Low/Med Output & Hi Gain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Output & Hi Gain vs Low/Med Output & Hi Gain

OK guy's lets see why. Who prefers what and why, I like Hi/Hi, the JB and DD IMO do Metal the best, but alot of members here like the SD, C, CC, & C5 not to mention the FS and Dime. So whos right ? You can allways turn the gain down but you cant turn the p/u's output up. There is no right or wrong here, just wanted to know.
    2 Jacksons DD & JB, Carvin, Planet Waves, GHS, Dunlop, Kepur, Mogami, Grover

I prefer medium-output pickups and have for a long time. They are more articulate to me when using high-gain and much more responsive to nuances in my playing. Just give me a pickup with tight bass, smooth mids and highs, a little grunt and let my amp handle the gain. My VHT has more than I'll ever need, anyway, and a mid-output pickup makes it sing the best.

I used to like hotter pickups, then I changed when I realized I could use a medium-output pickup with tight bass and keep more clarity at high-gain levels.

Nick

Comment

You can turn the gain down but then the amp does not sound as full. I agree with the last post. I like med output. Let the amp work
      Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
      Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
      Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
      Epiphone LP Special w/JB
      Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
      Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
      1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
      Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

I prefer low output pickups. I like for their clarity and like for my gain to come from the amp.

Comment

I like high output with a nice scooped eq curve...I've found out (the hard way) that ceramic magnets don't sound right in my guitar. I replaced my Demon with a DD and while I was originally impressed by the output and the harmonics, it sounded overly compressed and the mids were just way to high..high to the point where I had to all but take them entirely out of my rig's settings!

so I ordered a JB trembucker...just arrived actually...I'Ll be getting it put in on wednesday..when I get my axe back I'll post my thoughts and some sound samples =)
          Splawn QR
          Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
          Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s
          George Lynch Skulls n' Snakes Sig ESP w/JB trembucker

My Cover Band
          My Gear Pix
          My SPLAWN Clips
          My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

I like Medium Output and Hi Gain amp .... my DiMarzio Breeds are nice, but I much prefer a lower output. Every time I switch to the JEM, I have to make sweeping changes in the gain structure and EQ.
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I like a hot pup that is clean also
              like the duncan custom even though it is very powerful it is a clean toned pup.
              to test a hotter pups cleanness,i play a suspended chord with a lot of gain,i mean 5150 or triple XXX gain if i heaqr every note in the sus chord the pup passes my test

Comment

I totally dig high gain with PAF-style pups. Nothing better for hard rock and blues. Low-output pups just sound so ALIVE. And then there's the clean factor too.

Rock your PAFs beeeeee-ooooooootch!!!
                Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                Originally posted by Sosomething
                "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

No such thing as too much gain, only players that can´t control it

I use the Dime with and without an onboard preamp, or the Custom, or EMGs. If I want it cleaner, I´ll use single coils or a Neck Humbucker
                  Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                    No such thing as too much gain, only players that can´t control it

I use the Dime with and without an onboard preamp, or the Custom, or EMGs. If I want it cleaner, I´ll use single coils or a Neck Humbucker
                    Zerb, once again you speak truth! lol

Everyone has their own threshold of where there's too much gain (except zerb, apparently ... ), but you are correct in saying that you need to have clean technique for dirty guitars, as it were.
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

i like medium output, they just distort better than higher ones. super high output pickups just dont catch that Jim factor

is the Custom considered high output, or medium?

Comment

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/
                        i like medium output, they just distort better than higher ones. super high output pickups just dont catch that Jim factor

IMHO it is high output but clean

Comment

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/

It's has a higher resistance number, but it really doesn't seem much hotter than any PAF-replica I've ever used. I'd say it was mid-output with a bit more edge. Ya... that's it... :6:

Nick

Comment

I guess im gonna hav ta try the C5 and the Deamon to see for myself. Great stuff guys, keep it comeing.
                            2 Jacksons DD & JB, Carvin, Planet Waves, GHS, Dunlop, Kepur, Mogami, Grover

Comment

Originally posted by ntotoro
                              I prefer medium-output pickups and have for a long time. They are more articulate to me when using high-gain and much more responsive to nuances in my playing. Just give me a pickup with tight bass, smooth mids and highs, a little grunt and let my amp handle the gain. My VHT has more than I'll ever need, anyway, and a mid-output pickup makes it sing the best.

I used to like hotter pickups, then I changed when I realized I could use a medium-output pickup with tight bass and keep more clarity at high-gain levels.

Nick
                              Sounds like a C-5 to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X