Not sure why so many dislike the C-5.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure why so many dislike the C-5.

I have to say that although I only had the C-5 in my LP for a few months and used on two gigs, it was a pleasure to use in many situations. It is very open and airy with great clarity, great clean voice, full rhythm voice, and singing lead voice. I personally was looking for more dominant mids and a tad more aggression so I moved to something else but I have a weird craving for the C-5 once again. I really liked how I felt like it gave me total control over my amp's controls and I really didn't have the cut issues others speak of in a band situation. I doubt Robert or Gearkoneser would ue this pickup if it sounded small in the band mix or didn't cut through the mix. I will admit it was a little bit of a shock when I first used it because it is so clear and airy. I was much more familiar with the mid heavy JB and Rio BBQ.

Keep in mind that the Duncan site describes it as more full than the Custom.

Anyway......just thought it might be a nice discussion see why some find the C-5 so desirable and some loath it. Kind of a mysterious pickup.

Re: Not sure why so many dislike the C-5.

Some people expect pickups to make magic. That's tricky if you don't have the support for it, as in, a decent guitar and amp.
    I happen to like the C5 a lot. Like you said, it's "open". I have had the C5 in a tele, a strat and a Les Paul. I have played it through a Fender Twin, a Marshall JCM800, a Hot Rod Deluxe and my home made amp.. I just can't make it sound bad. hmm
    My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
      Some people expect pickups to make magic. That's tricky if you don't have the support for it, as in, a decent guitar and amp.
      I happen to like the C5 a lot. Like you said, it's "open". I have had the C5 in a tele, a strat and a Les Paul. I have played it through a Fender Twin, a Marshall JCM800, a Hot Rod Deluxe and my home made amp.. I just can't make it sound bad. hmm
      Do you still have those comparison clips of the C-5, Custom, etc?

Comment

The C5 is one of those pickups that is heavily dependent on the guitar and amp. Some pickups sound good no matter what guitar you put them in (Alnico II Pro,) but I've found that the C5 works better in darker sounding guitars. I know that a lot of people love it in a Strat, but I found it to be too bright, too bassy, and too scooped in the mids when I had one in my Wolfgang.

Ryan
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Let your ears be the judge. You have the pickup in your guitar, and what we guys (who don't favor c5's that much) is not relevant for you. You like it you keep it, it's that simple!

BTW I am with Ryan on this.

B
          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I'm not crazy about the C5 either but I can certainly understand why others are. It has a really nice bass response and a sweet top.

But I'm in love with the mids in my Custom. I'm a mids guy. Can't help it.
            Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
            Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
            Originally posted by Sosomething
            "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Originally posted by korovamilkdud
              I'm not crazy about the C5 either but I can certainly understand why others are. It has a really nice bass response and a sweet top.

But I'm in love with the mids in my Custom. I'm a mids guy. Can't help it.
              I can understand that as I am in love with the mids in my BBQ as I was when I had a JB.

Comment

I don't like the C5 because the body of the tone (the mids) are all scooped out leaving a "tinkle" in the top end and some bass that is covered up by the bass player in a band context. Boo.

Really small & wimpy sounding to these ears in my SG's (JB in the same guitars sounds vocal, rich and ballsy with a great "singing" voice).

Both Custom & CC sound bigger and more powerful (than the C5) to me as well.

In all fairness though, I am not a big fan of any of the customs really......

I don't hate them, just think there are better, clearer, pickups.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
                buggjuice.net
                MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Couldn't use it in any of my guitars, in any combination, always sounded harsh and flobby at the same time - uncomfortably unbalanced. I eventually put it to good use in the bridge of a detuned (to B) alder bodied Aria legend with a jazz in the neck. It gives a good clear crunch in the lower register clean and good articulation under distortion (Marshall 2204, natch).
                  A real problem pickup in my gear, even with a LP, which is what I bought it for (no return policy in Europa, see).

Comment

i used to use a c5 in my sg and it sounded killer thru my marshall. really nice for classic rock

Comment

I sure hope i like it! I am buying one!
                      I want to get a spare alnico III and a ceramic just in case though

Comment

I can't stand the C5 in a darker sounding guitar. I put it in a Strat with a rosewood fingerboard and it was just dripping with mud. The highs were wonderfully smooth, but the D,G, and E strings were useless. I only like the C5 in bright guitars such as the Strat (maple board) that it's in now. In darker sounding guitars I vastly prefer the Custom.

IMO the C5 is a niche pickup; which explains why I generally don't care for it.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I think the JB sounds good in dark guitars and really want to get one. I bet the Custom would be the same.

What about a bright or more lively LP? Not all LPs are dark.

Comment

I have no problem cutting the mix with my C5.

If you get a "scooped" sound then you probably have an issue with your amp or speakers.
                            My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                              I have no problem cutting the mix with my C5.

If you get a "scooped" sound then you probably have an issue with your amp or speakers.
                              A lot of it comes down to our own ears and I myself am very guilty of this. My ears tend to like thick mids from the pickup.

Comment

Working...
                              X