Duncan sound samples??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan sound samples??

Oddly enough I have been listening closely to the pickup sound samples on the Pickup page and to me the JB sounds the best clean and dirty in the bridge........and the Jazz sounds the best clean and dirty in the neck. Again this is for my more heavy and modern style I go for these days. To me these samples tell me this pickup combo is THE ONE for my LP for my style. I was told a long time ago that it is hard to beat a JB\Jazz in a Les Paul and maybe I should have listened. In my search I've used the stock burstbucker pros, C-5, and now the Rio Grande BBQ which some say is a better JB. Not sure, but I like what i hear on the sound files page and may be looking for a JB/Jazz soon.

Are these samples that accurate? I hear some say the sound samples are poor and don't tell much. I am assuming the guitar and amp were consistent. I think I was scared of by two things concerning the JB from the start. Number one is that I had heard a few times that it is too hot for variety and two that it lacks bass. I don't think the bass thing is an issue with my Les Paul or Vetta head and cabinet, and I hear a warm and big (full) sound when I really listen closely to those samples. I also hear dynamics and tone! I also had been scared off by people talking about how the JB does 80s metal well....not my thing anymore. I am much more a modern rock guy these days but I always drag a solo in from time to time. Think Alice in Chains, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Fuel......thats what I go for now.

For you JB guys.....do you notice a difference from covered to open coil?
    Last edited by papersoul; 05-12-2004, 08:59 PM.

Re: Duncan sound samples??

i have a jb in the bridge of my epi les paul standard and i also play a lot of tool and a perfect circle. for tool, it sounds amazing .... the midrange is exactly like adam jones ... you have to try it out, and im sure youll love it if your going for that tool tone.

Comment

thats funny, all the samples sound the same to me

Comment

if the samples sound the same it could be because your computer speakers arent that great. some of the differences are subtle, some arent.

the clips are all recorded with the same gear and settings. for the dirty bucker tracks it was a les paul into a jcm 800. "The pickups were all played through the same amps -- one for clean, one for dirty -- at the same settings, all by the same player playing the same licks" (duncan sound sample page). the sound samples are as accurate as possible.

jerry cantrell uses a jb, adam jones does too and it works for them

Comment

Re: The JB/Jazz combination!

Originally posted by papersoul
          Oddly enough I have been listening closely to the pickup sound samples on the Pickup page and to me the JB sounds the best clean and dirty in the bridge........and the Jazz sounds the best clean and dirty in the neck. Again this is for my more heavy and modern style I go for these days. To me these samples tell me this pickup combo is THE ONE for my LP for my style. I was told a long time ago that it is hard to beat a JB\Jazz in a Les Paul and maybe I should have listened. In my search I've used the stock burstbucker pros, C-5, and now the Rio Grande BBQ which some say is a better JB. Not sure, but I like what i hear on the sound files page and may be looking for a JB/Jazz soon.

Are these samples that accurate? I hear some say the sound samples are poor and don't tell much. I am assuming the guitar and amp were consistent. I think I was scared of by two things concerning the JB from the start. Number one is that I had heard a few times that it is too hot for variety and two that it lacks bass. I don't think the bass thing is an issue with my Les Paul or Vetta head and cabinet, and I hear a warm and big (full) sound when I really listen closely to those samples. I also hear dynamics and tone! I also had been scared off by people talking about how the JB does 80s metal well....not my thing anymore. I am much more a modern rock guy these days but I always drag a solo in from time to time. Think Alice in Chains, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Fuel......thats what I go for now.

For you JB guys.....do you notice a difference from covered to open coil?
          I thought you already owned a JB? didnt you say it was not as ballsy as a BBQ in your guitar?

Comment

certainly the jb doesnt have the bottom end of a bbq

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
              certainly the jb doesnt have the bottom end of a bbq
              is the JB tighter than this BBQ?

Comment

I agree wit hJeremey and I can hear the differences in the pickups and I still think the JB sounds the warmest out of the higher output pickups and even some of the lower output pickups and I like it's clean. I had it in two Hamers and loved the clean better than the BBQ but I love the deep bottom of the BBQ. The BBQ can at times seem a little indistinct in the lows but I deal with it for the overall vibe I get from it. I wish I could find a p'up that had the mids and highs of the BBQ with tighter lows and the warmth and aggression of the JB and BBQ. I am going to get another JB to test in my LP.

Comment

Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains used JBs as his main pup
                  Fender Stratocaster - EMG 81/85 (camo)
                  Ibanez RG550 - Invader (b)
                  Taylor 110E Acoustic
                  Traynor YCV 20
                  Brice 5 String Jazz Bass

Comment

Dann Huff and Michael Landau uses the JB.
                    They have marvelous leadsounds.

Comment

Working...
                    X