Pearly Gates Bridge/Distortion Neck: Good or Bad combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearly Gates Bridge/Distortion Neck: Good or Bad combo

My buddy is looking to change out his Distortion loaded Electra LP and asked my thoughts on the combo of PG/DD. The problem that I see is in that the PG is 8.35k and the DD is 12.7k. So am I correct in thinking that the volumes are going to be way out of balance, i.e. the neck being louder?
    '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Re: Pearly Gates Bridge/Distortion Neck: Good or Bad combo

Originally posted by JumpMarine
    So am I correct in thinking that the volumes are going to be way out of balance, i.e. the neck being louder?
    I'd say yes. That will be a big contrast. The PG is a little bright and edgy (in a good way) and the DD neck is very fat. It might be a challenge to settle on an eq on your amp.
    My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

hey tell your friend not to do this. listen I have done somthing similer like this and I learned the hard way. the neck pickup becouse its hotter will steal pickup sustain away from the bridge pickup becouse its hotter magnets will jack up the string vibration that the bridge is trying to amplify. so you will lose sustain or have kind of an early drop off on a note or power chord by as much as 20 to 30%. its damned annoying trust me, I have done this in the past. we even lowered the hotter neck pickup down as far as it would go and I still lost some sustain on the bridge pickup. then some luthier suggested that I put a cover over the neck pickup to mute it and I thought Mute it? that will kill my neck tone. if he's gunna you'se that pg in the bridge (good choice of pickup i luv um) try to get a neck pick up thats not to much over 7 to 7.5 -----has anyone else done this, maybe some body has come up with a solution. anyway tone wise the neck will over power the bridge becouse its hotter.

Comment

Philthis you make a good point. The DD magnet is very powerful compared to others. I even noticed a little string pull with the bridge model.
        My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

thnks stevo, I gotta tell you it was an on going problem for about 3 months and it was realy anoying untill I just surendered and got a diff pickup.

Comment

Thanks guys!
            '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

a hotter neck pickup will reward players who solo in the neck; i'm such a player...

my distortion neck is coupled with a Screamin' Demon (B) & i like the combo but watch the pickup height as per Philthis precaution
              Psychic Horns

Comment

warren haynes uses a 496r/pgb combo in one of his pauls and it sounds killer. the 496 is the hot ceramic gibson neck bucker so similar to the ddn in some ways, and with some height adjustments i think youll dig it

Comment

Working...
                X