No announcement yet.

Best Duncan for metal rhythm and leads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Duncan for metal rhythm and leads?

I use an Engl Fireball and a Mesa Mark IV along with 2 Jackson SL2H Soloists. What would be best suited for melodic to thrash metal? I am also a lead player so I need a bridge pickup that will do both well. I was considering the PA TB-2 and PA TB-3 because the JB's, in my opinion, sound harsh and a tad muddy. Thanks!!

Re: Best Duncan for metal rhythm and leads?

Easy, Duncan Distortion, I love mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
      Easy, Duncan Distortion, I love mine.
      Really? By looking at the tone chart it seems that the Distortion would be very bright and have a ton of highs. Or am I looking at the wrong one?

Comment

I've actually heard that the Custom has good definition and crunch for metal, without being overly bright.
        • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
        • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
        • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
        • G&L Tribute Comanche
        • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
        • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
        • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Depending on your amp, EQ settings, guitar, tonal preferences, etc. one of the 'usual suspects' will do just nicely: Custom, C5, 59B, JB, DD, SD
          Ibanez RG1570: stock
          Squier Strat: stock

Next on the list: an amp that isn't crap!

Comment

Try the parallel axis, patb2 I have a couple and in my Ibanez and schecter spund better than the sh-6 as far as thin/brightness on the highs, not as compressed either.
            My bands links:

PEDL
            www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
            www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
            www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

Sounds good. How about the Invader? I know the Invader is real good for rhythm, how does it do for leads? I see that the Invader isn't offered as a Trembucker, does that affect its performance in a floyd rose equipped guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by EnglJack
                Sounds good. How about the Invader? I know the Invader is real good for rhythm, how does it do for leads? I see that the Invader isn't offered as a Trembucker, does that affect its performance in a floyd rose equipped guitar?

The Invader has those fat assed poles so no need for Trembucker.

The Invader is at it's best when down tuned.

To answer the original Questiom: Duncan Distortion! Don't mind the tone chart ... it's very balanced PU.
                Fat Strat into a Soldano, always.

Comment

sh-5 custom

Comment

Duncan Distortion: best metal riffing pickup ever! I've got one in my Charvel 650xl (Jackson soloist clone) and it is full of bass and midrange, not overly bright at all. I've also used a JB and a Custom in other guitars. Both are good for metal as well, the Custom sounding more open to me and the JB being a little brighter. Both are great sounding pickups, but the Distoriton wins my vote.
                    Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                    X