Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APS1 for mid or bridge? when matched with '57/'62's

Hi.

I couldn't get a whole set of either Duncans or Fenders, so as luck would have it, I've ended up with a used SD Alnico Pro II APS1, and two new Fender 57/62's.

I would value your opinions as to whether the APS1 would best match up with the other two as a bridge or as a middle pup.

I know that none of the three are RW/RP. But I am not sure whether Fenders and Duncans have the same polarity, or wound in the same direction (is that the same thing?). All three pups attracted a spare RW/RP pup I have.

Should I reverse the wiring on the APS1?

I've tried wiring it as a bridge pup (wires are coded blue and white; altho maybe the lead wires were replaced by the previous owner) and find that the guitar sounds weak in positions 1,2,4, & 5, with resistance reading of neck and bridge pups down to 3.0k (instead of 6.0+k).

What could be wrong here?

Would very much appreciate your inputs and help. Thanks in advance!

Jaime G.
    Last edited by vegetablejoe; 05-13-2004, 08:52 PM.

Re: APS1 for mid or bridge? when matched with '57/'62's

Originally posted by vegetablejoe
    Hi.

I couldn't get a whole set of either Duncans or Fenders, so as luck would have it, I've ended up with a used SD Alnico Pro II APS1, and two new Fender 57/62's.

I would value your opinions as to whether the APS1 would best match up with the other two as a bridge or as a middle pup.

I know that none of the three are RW/RP. But I am not sure whether Fenders and Duncans have the same polarity, or wound in the same direction (is that the same thing?). All three pups attracted a spare RW/RP pup I have.

Should I reverse the wiring on the APS1?

I've tried wiring it as a bridge pup (wires are coded blue and white; altho maybe the lead wires were replaced by the previous owner) and find that the guitar sounds weak in positions 1,2,4, & 5, with resistance reading of neck and bridge pups down to 3.0k (instead of 6.0+k).

What could be wrong here?

Would very much appreciate your inputs and help. Thanks in advance!

Jaime G.
    Be careful about mixing Duncan and Fender pickups...Fender uses "S" polarity magnet poles and Duncan "N" and I also think the windings are opposite...I tryed this a few years ago using 2 Fender Fat 50s and 1 Duncan SSL6 in the bridge and had polarity and phase problems that flip flopping wires didn't fix....The outcome is a weak,thin,honky,out of phase tone and I ended up going with all 3 Duncan single coils....You've been warned!

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

"...The outcome is a weak,thin,honky,out of phase tone and I ended up going with all 3 Duncan single coils....You've been warned!"[/FONT]

Thank you, John. I am warned...lol!

That's an accurate description of the result. It's a shame to waste the pup, but I guess I'll have to use something else other than a Duncan in this config then.

I am quite happy with my Antiquities but, as everybody knows, tone quest and G.A.S. are bugs that are difficult to shake off when an opportunity for acquisition presents itself!

Jaime

Comment

"...The outcome is a weak,thin,honky,out of phase tone and I ended up going with all 3 Duncan single coils....You've been warned!"[/FONT]

Thank you, John. I am warned...lol!

That's an accurate description of the result. It's a shame to waste the pup, but I guess I'll have to use something else other than a Duncan in this config then.

I am quite happy with my Antiquities but, as everybody knows, tone quest and G.A.S. are bugs that are difficult to shake off when an opportunity for acquisition presents itself!

Jaime
        Stick with the same brand pickups whenever you can with single coils unless you know alot about the other brand pickup..

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Swapped the leads on the APS1 and now all 3 pups are sounding fine! Great!

But now its the RW/RP on my Antiquity set that conked out. Used to be intermittent but now its dead... what a disappointment.

Comment

Swapped the leads on the APS1 and now all 3 pups are sounding fine! Great!

But now its the RW/RP on my Antiquity set that conked out. Used to be intermittent but now its dead... what a disappointment.
            You shouldn't be swapping leads on single coils...Hopefully blacks are your grounds?

John

Comment

Yup! Black to ground on the 57/62's. Blue (orig. lead wires replaced by prev. owner?) on the APS1 to ground.

All black wires to ground on the Antiquity set. Can't for the life of me figure out what happened with the RWRP on this one. Was working fine when I bought it; even made sure resistance reading was spec. After I had them installed, the mid pup started conking out. And now its finally dead. Either no reading on the meter, or the reading goes to 180+k! I hope the local distributor will still replace this. Oh well... thanks for your inputs again!

Jaime

Comment

Yup! Black to ground on the 57/62's. Blue (orig. lead wires replaced by prev. owner?) on the APS1 to ground.

All black wires to ground on the Antiquity set. Can't for the life of me figure out what happened with the RWRP on this one. Was working fine when I bought it; even made sure resistance reading was spec. After I had them installed, the mid pup started conking out. And now its finally dead. Either no reading on the meter, or the reading goes to 180+k! I hope the local distributor will still replace this. Oh well... thanks for your inputs again!

Jaime
                You're welcome,hope you get your pickup dilemma worked out also..

John

Comment

Working...
                X