Opeth sound, jackson kelly pick ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opeth sound, jackson kelly pick ups

Hi I just registerd here because i had some questions.

I`m hoping on buying a Jackson Kelly KE3 (japan version) next month and i was wondering whats is the difference between the stock pick ups (detonater i believe) and the invaders some one said that the detonaters are based on the invaders...

I have also this question i cant believe that the stock pick ups are very good, they could be nice but not very good (correct me if i am wrong )
    I am trying to get a Opeth sound, i have the dvd ans saw that Mikael Åkerfeldt has duncans (i thought invaders dont know for sure though)

Now will the guitar be any better if i replace them with other duncans or is it hopeless to improve the tone/sound of the guitar... i was also wondering abouth EMG`s 80/60 set but i did some research (not much ) and there are alot of people who think they sound like crap others love them...

others say EMG`s only sound cool in very expensive guitars, others say they sound good in any guitar and some people say they sound good in crapy guitars... so i am totally confussed....

now is my main question how do i get an Opeth/metallica sound (id rather have an opeth sound than a metallica sound, and i know i should get my OWN sound but i really like the Opeth sound and well metallica is just cool i think)

would you recommend EMG`s in a jackson kelly or would you recommend Duncans( i know this is the SD forums but im hoping on a honest advice)

i may have some more questions but i think i forgot them maybe i`ll post them later...

well thx in advance guys and girls

Re: Opeth sound, jackson kelly pick ups

Originally posted by Aapje
    Hi I just registerd here because i had some questions.

I`m hoping on buying a Jackson Kelly KE3 (japan version) next month and i was wondering whats is the difference between the stock pick ups (detonater i believe) and the invaders some one said that the detonaters are based on the invaders...

I have also this question i cant believe that the stock pick ups are very good, they could be nice but not very good (correct me if i am wrong )
    I am trying to get a Opeth sound, i have the dvd ans saw that Mikael Åkerfeldt has duncans (i thought invaders dont know for sure though)

Now will the guitar be any better if i replace them with other duncans or is it hopeless to improve the tone/sound of the guitar... i was also wondering abouth EMG`s 80/60 set but i did some research (not much ) and there are alot of people who think they sound like crap others love them...

others say EMG`s only sound cool in very expensive guitars, others say they sound good in any guitar and some people say they sound good in crapy guitars... so i am totally confussed....

now is my main question how do i get an Opeth/metallica sound (id rather have an opeth sound than a metallica sound, and i know i should get my OWN sound but i really like the Opeth sound and well metallica is just cool i think)

would you recommend EMG`s in a jackson kelly or would you recommend Duncans( i know this is the SD forums but im hoping on a honest advice)

i may have some more questions but i think i forgot them maybe i`ll post them later...

well thx in advance guys and girls
    Welcome to the SD Forum, Aapje!

A Pearly Gates (Neck) will give you the smooth singing solo sounds. ..The SH-5/TB-5 Custom (Bridge) will give you all the chunky rythms, agressive leads & solos sounds you'll need. ..You need a versatile combo for Opeth & that's what I'm givin' yah. ..This combo will work for Metallica but will sound even better.

..I haven't tried EMG, but I think they probably pick up on what the strings are doing, more so than the tone coming from the wood. ..And that may be why people say that it doesn't matter what kind of a guitar you put them in?
    A link to the VERY LIMITED (Ladies) OPETH G-String!! ..Act Now!!!:bigthumb:
    This black g-string underwear has the famous "O" logo that Opeth has been using for some time now. The logo is silk screened onto the g-string and looks very sharp in yellow against the black field. ..These are a one-size-fits-most.

Comment

To correctly recreate Opeth's sound, you'll need a good studio with some sweet-sounding acoustic guitars, and a Gibson Les Paul Custom or some kind of PRS, and the ability to write and play some incredible metal.

Probably some singing lessons too...

But yeah, if you wanna be able to switch from good cleans to good crunch then Duncan's got lots of choices...JB, Distortion and a couple of the Customs are supposed to be great for bridge-possition crunchiness, and the 59, Jazz and Pearly Gates are the reigning champs for cleans...

Keep in mind I'm just going on what I've heard on the forum, but...
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I have the Jazz neck, JB bridge combo and it does have all the range I want good cleans with enough bottom end to keep me happy. I can nail the Metallica sound but I am not familiar with Opeth so I cant comment there. Remember the back end as in AMP and gear are just as importnat. There is great information here and lots of good folks but if you play through a not so good rig you will always get not so good tone.
        Live long, play hard, enjoy life.

Comment

if you're going for a similar sound to the 81/60 combo, i suggest a duncan distortion bridge and a '59 neck .. it's what kirk used to use. great sound from both positions, the distortion is really great for heavy rythm and the '59 has incredible lead sounds, really smooth

the detonators, i got no idea on which humbuckers they're modeled after... if you're not sure if he uses invaders, look at his guitar and if the pickup is ugly as hell, it's an invader.

as for the emg's. many said that no matter what guitar you put it in, they will sound the same, to personalise them you need quite a rig =)

Comment

the detonators are modeled after the invaders, just made overseas, a good pup. maybe not as good as a usa made invader but better than most stock stuff.

the invader/detonator is the only pup that has those big screw pole pieces, if you saw them, its an invader.

i think the distortion/59 combo is a good bet

Comment

the kelly pup is a normal looking pup, it doesnt have those ugly pole pieces... you know what, check jacksonguitars.com and see what model detonator it is, then check it at the duncan page, they have it described there, after what pup it is designed

Comment

i was talking about the pup in the dvd

Comment

well im not sure wich kind of sound i want... i think i want a REALLY heavy Fat sound but im not sure, which pups are good for that...

Also if i went to play on my friends guitar which has EMGS in it and i would like the sound, should i just then buy the EMGS? thx guys and girls I really appreciate the help

Comment

yea, with emg's you pretty much buy the sound you hear, but like i said you'll pretty much need some cool effects to dial in the diversity.

if you want a fat sound, either a c5 or if you want a sound fatter than marlon brando, get the invader

i checked the stats of the ke3 .. yea tis be the invader, imo, it's much much nicer having at least a pup that was at least in the vicinity of a duncan schematic than an unknown stock pup.

what i really want is a normal looking duncan invader.. i hate allen pole buckers and the invader has been beaten with the ugly stick one too many times... they should also offer the invader sound in an active pup.. but now i'm asking a wee bit too much am i?

******, one of you go get the live wires and put up a sound file under HIGH! gain

ok.. i'll stop now
                    Last edited by Davey; 05-14-2004, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey
                      yea, with emg's you pretty much buy the sound you hear, but like i said you'll pretty much need some cool effects to dial in the diversity.

if you want a fat sound, either a c5 or if you want a sound fatter than marlon brando, get the invader

i checked the stats of the ke3 .. yea tis be the invader, imo, it's much much nicer having at least a pup that was at least in the vicinity of a duncan schematic than an unknown stock pup.

what i really want is a normal looking duncan invader.. i hate allen pole buckers and the invader has been beaten with the ugly stick one too many times... they should also offer the invader sound in an active pup.. but now i'm asking a wee bit too much am i?

******, one of you go get the live wires and put up a sound file under HIGH! gain

ok.. i'll stop now
                      I heard some one talking about covers you put over the pick up (so it looks like an EMG) dont know if you have tone loss or something maybe you should look into it... thx for youre help all

Comment

You will get Opeth sound with the stock picups in the KE3 Kelly. Grumsy and boring
                        I hate Opeth so you should not take my statment above to seriusly, but it is really what I think.

I am going to buy Invader(s) for my Japaneese Kelly, and there is difference. The real ones is not muddy, and the sound much better

I think it sad that the Invader PU is so ugly.
                        Last edited by Mayhem; 05-15-2004, 06:02 AM.

Comment

actually aapje i was thnking of a nickel cover on the invader, but i dont know how much of it's sound actually comes from being built as it is... once i'll get enough money i'll get it done by the custom shop as an active version LOL!

yea, right >.<

Comment

Working...
                          X