Pickup Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Advice

Where to begin? I have a GMP pawnshop, essentially 25 1/2 scale les paul. I love the warm crunch of the Custom Custom in my 24 3/4 scale Gibson style guitars. However, the Custom Custom in this GMP doesn't do it for me. It had the mids but they weren't as warm and crunchy, possibly due to the 25 1/2 scale. I tried a C5 and like it, but I wish it had more mids, not to the extent of the Custom Custom, but more mids with a warm crunch. I haven't played a JB in 12 years because I used to find them shrillish through Marshalls, which is why I liked the Custom Custom so much. Now I play Mesa's. My question is this, what Duncan (or Dimarzio if necessary) has the rich open tone of the C5 but with more crunch/mids? Would this be the JB? The Dimarzio Breed? Tone Zone? Any suggestions for warm crunch in and Alnico magnet pickup for hard rock?
    Last edited by notesfield; 05-14-2004, 06:42 AM.

Re: Pickup Advice

the custom!! more crunch and more mids. a little less bottom but that shouldnt be a problem with a mesa

Comment

A friend of mine swears by the Breed! but, in the right guitar the JB will do what you want.

Comment

The Custom sounds like what you're looking for, although it has a ceramic mag.
        Originally posted by The Minstrel
        Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

definetly try the custom. it will only cost you about 4 bucks. just get a ceramic magnet and swap it with the A5 in your C5. if you don't liek it, you can just swap it back. one of the reasons why the custom series rules!!! you really can't go wrong.

Comment

The custom has plenty of bass mids and highs, with the right balance, so maybe it's just what you're looking for. Use the magnet swaps!
            • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
            • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
            • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
            • G&L Tribute Comanche
            • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
            • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
            • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Well... you know I have 12 GMP's and the BEST pickup in them is the 59/Custom Hybrid
              GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Working...
              X