Bass guitar pickups question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass guitar pickups question

I'm shopping for my first bass guitar. It seems like the pickup sizes are so different on so many basses I've looked at. Is changing pickups on a bass rare due to weird sizes some of these pickups have? When you bass playin' forumites buy a new bass, due you plan on keeping the stock pups?

It just doesn't seem like it would be as easy to upgrade bass pups as it is with a guitar. I like being able to upgrade/change my pups!

Last questions............... Do you recommend staying away from 5 or 6 string basses when starting out? If so, why?

Thanks,

Jon

Tradition S-20, Tradition G-10, Jackson DKMG, Ibanez SRX 505 Bass, Laney MXD 120H head, Peavey 4x12 cab, Fender 4x12 cab, Boss GS-10, M-Audio Black Box, Boss Metal Zone, Boss DS-1, Boss SD-1, Boss CH-1, MXR Dyna Comp, MXR Zakk Wylde, MXR EVH Phase 90, MXR Double Shot Distortion, ProCo Rat, Other Boss stuff.

SD pickups tried or still in use: JB, Zebra C5, Zebra Jazz, JB Jr., Distortion, Lil '59, Invader, Live Wire Metal, and Custom.

Re: Bass guitar pickups question

I'm a guitar player, but I've noticed a few things about bass players. They're just like guitar players in that some like to change pickups and others don't. If you plan to change pickups, avoid basses that you non-standard pickup shapes. Also you should learn how to play 4 strings before you add a 5th or 6th.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

For the most part bass pup sizes are pretty standard., P bass and J bass pups shouldn't give you many problems. I havn't personally swapped out a MM pup yet, but i can't imagine that being any diffrent. Same with replacements for EMGs. Gibson basses use wierd pups, that finding replacements for can be tricky.

As far as learning, start with 4 stings, because playing bass is diffrent enough where you don't want any added confusion, also, if you're not used to the larger neck size, playing on a 5 or 6 string can be quite a strain.
      Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Those 5 and 6 strings look so cool though!
        Tradition S-20, Tradition G-10, Jackson DKMG, Ibanez SRX 505 Bass, Laney MXD 120H head, Peavey 4x12 cab, Fender 4x12 cab, Boss GS-10, M-Audio Black Box, Boss Metal Zone, Boss DS-1, Boss SD-1, Boss CH-1, MXR Dyna Comp, MXR Zakk Wylde, MXR EVH Phase 90, MXR Double Shot Distortion, ProCo Rat, Other Boss stuff.

SD pickups tried or still in use: JB, Zebra C5, Zebra Jazz, JB Jr., Distortion, Lil '59, Invader, Live Wire Metal, and Custom.

Comment

It is unusual for bass guitarists to actually change pups on their basses, because if you think about it you are not trying to "colour" your sound in reproducing different tones as you would be for a guitar. If you think about it you can have a direct feed into a desk/PA because you want to have the cleanest sound possible with enough headroom.

Most guitar playes would need to mic up their amps because they want to have the sound from their cabinet being fed into a desk/PA system. That is not say that bass players don't change pups it does not happen that often, they much prefer to get the bass that will suit them and will have the appropriate amplifiers to do the job. FWIW - I have Precision/Jazzes/Custom built basses and have not changed the pups on them and a number of amps to take out with me depending on the size of the place.

On 5/6 string basses my advice would be to start on 4 strings as you are a guitarist. The wider necks on them and the confusion it will cause in playing them will be enough, not forgetting the weight. Get one of the Yamaha/Aria/Ibanez/OLP active basses which are usually 24 frets, slim necks and a doddle to play. They will usually fit in to a number of different styles and will be better as you are more of a guitar player than a bass player.
          Normans Guitars

Comment

The standard P-Bass, J-Bass, MM and most Soapbars are actually fairly standard (although there are exceptions). For example SD makes soapbars in the same sizes as EMG and Bartiloni. Almost every manufacturer makes P & J replacement pickups in the standard size. Just beware of the pre 2002 MIM Fender Jazz basses as they use the same size pickup in both locations which is not standard but can be worked around.

As far as starting out, if you think you want to end up playing 5-string I recommend you start there. Changing from one to the other definetly takes some getting used to even though 4-string may be easier in the beginning. I have always played 4-String and when I try to do a 5-string I get pretty lost.

Comment

Working...
            X