Help me choose right pick-ups!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose right pick-ups!!

I bought an Epiphone Dot ES335 for an awesome price - brand new. I also own a Gibson Explorer, but surprisingly, this Epiphany smokes it!

However, the pick-ups need help. I play heavy stuff, but would like to mellow out on this guitar, and get bluesy at times too. For the bridge, I'm putting in an SH6 Distortion, but I'm not sure on the neck. I want a buttery, creamy blues tone on the front pick-up that is bright, yet smooth, and cleans up very nicely when I roll down the volume. Also needs to get nasty with rich harmonics!!

How about 2 Distortions? Do they clean up nice??

Re: Help me choose right pick-ups!!

The Distortion set is far from being a "mellow" set of pickups and while you can get a somewhat deceint clean tone out of them they are not known for their mellowness.

You need to decide what you really want from that guitar. There are options that will allow for added output without being completely over the top.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Enlighten me...

I've also debated a JB & a Jazz, or JB & '59, or Distortion and a '59.

I want to be able to go full shred if needed, but also clean as well, when needed.

I use a Line6 modeling amp - many different tones, and gains. I want to optimize each setting, with the right pick-ups.

Help any?

Comment

rich, smooth bluesy tone = PAF imo
        either a '59 a seth or one of the antiquities.. my personal favourite for neck, the '59.. get it =)

Comment

If you really want the best of two completely different worlds, you cannot depend on the pickup. You'll need to get yourself a medium to low output pickup. For high gain you have to depend on your amp/rig. You'll need some kind of gain booster. (i don't know much about pedals so i'm not going to recommend you any) You can get nearly any tone from a medium to low output pickup, but you can't get a good mellow bluesy tone from an extremely high ouput pickup. (i.e. the distortion)

If i were you i would get a set of seths. But a '59 combo would be great and cheaper. The JB/Jazz combo would also be killer and get you nearly anywhere.

Good luck.

Comment

I'm not sure I'd put a high output pickup like the distortion in a hollowbody. For high gain stuff through a hollowbody, your best bet is to use a lower output pickup and get the gain from your amp. I would recommend a '59 in the bridge, and either a Jazz, pearly Gates, '59, or Alnico II Pro in the neck.

Ryan
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

You could go JB/Jazz, or stick with your DDb, and put a screamin' demon in the neck. I've never tried one, but I've read and heard that it's got lots of rich harmonics, and apparently it's quite buttery and cleans up well when rolled off. I don't know if they make a neck model; just stick a bridge model in there.
              • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
              • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
              • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
              • G&L Tribute Comanche
              • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
              • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
              • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Working...
              X