1976 Stratocaster Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1976 Stratocaster Pickups

I have a 76 Strat with all original 70's gray bobbin flat pole piece pickups. I have replaced the original wiring harness with a five-way switch and modified with a tone control on the bridge and middle/neck share a common tone control.

But I'm wondering if there are some better Stratocaster pickups I could use. I don't really like noiseless or single-coil size humbuckers.

Any suggestions?

If those pickups are stock all three should be wound more or less identically. These days a lot of players like the bridge pickup to be wound a little hotter.

I like the Duncan Antiquity Surfers.

They'll sound like yours but have a little more snap.

If you get the Surfer Custom Bridge pickup you'll have a hotter bridge pickup that won't sound weak or thin and it'll balance better volume-wise with the neck and middle pickup.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

This would depend on what you feel the stock pickups are lacking (instead of just wanting 'better'). Hotter? Different EQ?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

SSL-1 set.

Comment

what you have is a low wind a5 magnet set, clean and clear usually from that era. lots of options depending on what you want to change from what you have

Comment

They are good sounding pickups IMO, if you know how to make low output pickups sing. But the lack of pole stagger is rough on a 7 1/4" board IME. I hate the way that sounds. The D string is way, way too quiet for me. Might be fine for a primarily lead player, but chords don't sound the way I like with flat poles and 7 1/4" radius.

There are probably more Strat pickups available than one person can process. You should think more about what you want first, so the field can be narrowed. "Better" is a near meaningless term in and of itself. Better at what is what you need to be thinking about.
            Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-01-2020, 05:59 PM.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

IMO Grey Bobbin pickups are some of the best pickups for a strat. I'd keep them.
              Originally posted by Myaccount876
              Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Working...
              X