3-Way Wiring like MSM1 Ibanez?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    No prob man. I'm ultimately trying to help you out with a cool, (and proven) wiring diagram. I'm really not sure where this all went South.

I found a trove of wiring diagrams two pages back. Your insistence that I don't understand something is where it went wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
      Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	6006094
      Just FYI: your rotation example is based on **IF** one coil of 2 that are side by side is wound differently than the other. That's a moot point because the photo of a disassembled, real life humbucker that Artie posted earlier showed that two side by side coils are wound in the same direction, i.e. one of them is NOT wound in the opposite direction of the other.

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

Just FYI: your rotation example is based on **IF** one coil of 2 that are side by side is wound differently than the other. That's a moot point because the photo of a disassembled, real life humbucker that Artie posted earlier showed that two side by side coils are wound in the same direction, i.e. one of them is NOT wound in the opposite direction of the other.

If the coils in a humbucker are wound in the same direction, then it wouldn't be a "humbucker".

Comment

A humbucker can be built either of two ways. If you wind the coils opposite directions, then the noise they pick up out of the air will be naturally cancelling. So, you connect them plus-to-minus, or start-to-finish. Again, like batteries in a flashlight. No problem. Or, you can wind them the same direction. Now the noise will reinforce itself, so you have to connect one coil reverse-polarity. Ie., finish-to-finish, or start-to-start. That technique works equally as well and the manufacturer doesn't have to worry about which coils are which, or using the Leesona that runs backwards.

Note, once again, in that chart that almost all pups are connected finish-to-finish. One or two, were start-to-start. None were start-to-finish.

P.S. I emailed Dimarzio and just flat out asked them which way they wind their pups.We'll see if they respond.

Comment

And . . . direct from DiMarzio Tech:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dimarzio_question.png
Views:	65
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	6006748

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

If the coils in a humbucker are wound in the same direction, then it wouldn't be a "humbucker".

I'm testing some stock pickups I got from ebay ages ago. The pickup has 3 wires: white, black, red. Supposedly, this is hot/ground/coil tap DC Resistance measured between each pair R/B = 8 R/W = 8 B/W = 5 If the wire ( W <--> B) runs through the entire pickup, both coils, it should have a higher resistance than the

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Obviously NOT.

By your own admission/observation it cannot be wired correctly because if it were it CANNOT give those readings. You're asking questions, but you are not listening to the answers! And you are not accepting the advice/instructions which could get you the answers! You specifically ask me for my advice and help and slap me in the face by ignoring it.

You say you want to learn, but you are totally unwilling to accept help and advice that could facilitate that. You are dogmatically holding to the idea that you have wired it correctly even while admitting that you haven't, and that something is not right.

"A parallel pickup that is designed to sound series"?! Really?!

All of this tells me that you have absolutely no clue as to what goes on in a pup or how to wire it. Why are you being so resistant to learning or accepting the answers?!

I understand guitar electronics and how pups are wired and can absolutely give you the answers that you "seek". But the only thing I don't understand is why you started this thread in the first place.
              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Working...
              X