banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First magnet swap was a success! (10/10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

I doubt EVH ever used the Custom Custom but it's a cool pickup. Very smooth sound. Reminds me of soft, squishy, caramel candy with just a hint of crunch.

I don't play scooped metal so I don't know if the Custom 5 is good for that. For me it was too metallic and sharp. I couldn't get comfortable with the treble.

I liked the regular Custom best, even though I'm not usually a fan of ceramic magnet pickups.
    Strangely enough, I’ve really liked the ceramic magnet pickups I’ve tried so far and I’ve tended to not like the A5 mags....

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

Strangely enough, I’ve really liked the ceramic magnet pickups I’ve tried so far and I’ve tended to not like the A5 mags....
      I go for more of a British Blues tone when I'm soloing and all of those guitars were 59 Les Pauls with PAFs. That's the kind of sound I like. For me, that sound comes from rough alnico 2 and rough alnico 4. And sometimes rough alnico 5

Overwound pickups with ceramic magnets are not my thing but I appreciate some of the sounds those pickups make. Tom Sholtz got a great sound.
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I go for more of a British Blues tone when I'm soloing and all of those guitars were 59 Les Pauls with PAFs. That's the kind of sound I like. For me, that sound comes from rough alnico 2 and rough alnico 4. And sometimes rough alnico 5

Overwound pickups with ceramic magnets are not my thing but I appreciate some of the sounds those pickups make. Tom Sholtz got a great sound.
        I'm a shredder. A medium output ceramic pickup is a treat. Most medium output PUs are A5, most ceramic PUs are hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

I'm a shredder. A medium output ceramic pickup is a treat. Most medium output PUs are A5, most ceramic PUs are hot.
          Sounds about right.

What does Eddie Van Halen use in his pickups these days?

I have an Ernie Ball Axis exactly like the EB EVH model. It has Dimarzios. The pickups in that guitar are the only hot humbuckers I've ever liked. They sound very good split too!

Comment

Sweet. Magnet swapping is fun. I'm about to do a couple of 59's. (On Lew's recommendation.) Enjoy.

Comment

What's with the Patent Pending stamp? Is Duncan trying to file a patent on the bar magnet?
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                What's with the Patent Pending stamp? Is Duncan trying to file a patent on the bar magnet?
                Its probably a wax impression from something inside the pickup. I think that was on the upward facing side.

Comment

Its probably a wax impression from something inside the pickup. I think that was on the upward facing side.
                  That makes sense. It's not stamped into the metal of the magnet.

I'd be curious what a ROUGHCAST A5 would sound like in that pickup.

Fuller and more textured than polished A5 I think, but maybe creating a lot of treble was part of the plan.

Comment

That makes sense. It's not stamped into the metal of the magnet.

I'd be curious what a ROUGHCAST A5 would sound like in that pickup.

Fuller and more textured than polished A5 I think, but maybe creating a lot of treble was part of the plan.
                    I would guess that the finish of the magnet does not change the magnetic field in any way.

Comment

I would guess that the finish of the magnet does not change the magnetic field in any way.
                      They say it does.

They say that polished magnets can hold a slightly stronger charge than rough magnets.

When I compared rough vs. polished A5 magnets in the same 59 pickup set, I felt that the polished magnets gave the pickup a slightly brighter steelier sound.

I thought that rough A5 had more mids and more texture to those mids, and looser lows like you'd find with A2 but not as loose as you'd find with A2.
                      Last edited by Lewguitar; 08-01-2020, 11:54 AM.

Comment

They say it does.

They say that polished magnets can hold a slightly stronger charge than rough magnets.

When I compared rough vs. polished A5 magnets in the same 59 pickup set, I felt that the polished magnets gave the pickup a slightly brighter steelier sound.

I thought that rough A5 had more mids and more texture to those mids, and looser lows like you'd find with A2 but not as loose as you'd find with A2.
                        Well, you could just put an A4 in there if you want a little less than an A5.

Comment

I'm really liking the sound from the Custom, but.... its got a bit too much mid honk which gives it an 80s kind of sound that I can't get rid of. I'm going to put the A5 back in with my current amp settings so I can AB.

Comment

Well, you could just put an A4 in there if you want a little less than an A5.

I have five PRS guitars. Two USA made CU22's and three Korean made SE Singlecuts.

I have A4 in a set of Seth Lovers in one.

A3 neck and A2 bridge in two others, one with 59's and one with Antiquitys.

A2 neck and A4 bridge in two others, both with Antiquitys.

I feel like I'm getting the best sound I've ever gotten in my life!

I did have A5 in the Antiquitys of one of my PRS SE Singlecuts. I found that only A5 gave a pickup real sparkle in the treble frequencies.

But that makes them bright. Too bright for me although I still love Eric Clapton's sound from back in the 60's when he was wailing away on his SG or ES-335 with A5 pickups.

BB King too. He got gorgeous tones with A5 humbuckers. Wes Montgomery, Larry Carlton and Robben Ford too.
                            Last edited by Lewguitar; 08-01-2020, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I'm really liking the sound from the Custom, but.... its got a bit too much mid honk which gives it an 80s kind of sound that I can't get rid of. I'm going to put the A5 back in with my current amp settings so I can AB.

You should try a roughcast A4. Also a roughcast A5. Either should sound fuller, smoother and not so steely as that polished A5.

Comment

You should try a roughcast A4. Also a roughcast A5. Either should sound fuller, smoother and not so steely as that polished A5.
                                Doh! I only have a smooth A4! (seriously. not serious.)

Put the A5 back in the Custom. It sounds more modern and got rid of the honk. Solo notes not as thick.

Now its clear to my why they shipped this guitar with the Custom 5. Would be nice if it was just a bit hotter. Maybe 10s would bring about that sound.
                                Last edited by Top-L; 08-01-2020, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X