300K Audio Pots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300K Audio Pots

Hi all & hope all are well~~ I'm having an impossible time finding some 300k's, or darn close to it. I read that if you put a 1meg resistor across a 500k pot, you end up with 333k,,, Any thruth to this &:if so, exactly where would this resistor go?
    Many thanks in advance.
    Kenny
    Last edited by zozoe; 07-31-2020, 07:03 PM.

As it pertains to the reading you get on an ohm meter, yes. As it pertains to the signal you get out: the jury's still out on that.

Check out this article: https://sound-au.com/pots.htm

It will either explain it, or drive you nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      As it pertains to the reading you get on an ohm meter, yes. As it pertains to the signal you get out: the jury's still out on that.

Check out this article: https://sound-au.com/pots.htm

It will either explain it, or drive you nuts.
      Wow, did you read the “Commercial Log” pot portion? Is that why new wahs sweep differently than old wahs and everyone is chasing the ICAR taper?
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Yeah, it works and is subtle but can be helpful. I actually have 3 resistors on a 4 way switch. position 1 is no resistor only the 500k volume, position 2 has a 600k resistor, position 3 has a 300k resistor, and position 4 has a 100k resistor. You put the resistor between anywhere that carries the full signal and ground such as the hot at the jack and ground or the out at the volume pot and ground.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

I too wish off the shelf 300K Audio taper pots were available. I have a 1989 Les Paul Custom that sounds best with the 300Ks and a Jb/Jazz p'up combo. I have tried 500Ks and the difference is not subtle. All my other HB equipped guitars have 500k. The Gibson branded linear 300Ks do the job, but the volume roll off is not the greatest.

Comment

Guitarfetish has 330K pots https://www.guitarfetish.com/Guitar-...ents_c_14.html

Comment

CTS makes 300k audio pots, you can find them many places. Just off the top of my head, Art of Tone is one. Allparts also has them I believe, probably Philadelphia Luthiers Supply. I don't know why you are having so much trouble finding them.
              Al

Comment

Doesn't Gibson sell them? I think they show up used periodically on ebay and reverb when somebody buys a Gibson and switches out the stock 300K's for 500s.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                  Mind blown! I'm getting those. Will be perfect for my jazz ax.
                  The things that you wanted
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                    guitar fetish is also one of the few companies offering linear taper pots.

Comment

Originally posted by pskorz View Post
                      Doesn't Gibson sell them? I think they show up used periodically on ebay and reverb when somebody buys a Gibson and switches out the stock 300K's for 500s.
                      The 300k pots Gibson used are linear taper, not audio.
                      Al

Comment

The Art Of Tone offers an array of guitar parts and accessories including electronics, Wiring Upgrade Kits, New Old Stock capacitors, Wolfetone custom wound pickups, Gavitt push back cloth and braided shield wire, CTS and Bourns pots, Switchcraft jacks, Switchcraft switches and knobs. Everything you need to put the art in the tone of your favorite guitar.

Try these CTS pots if you need a US / Imperial sized pot. The guitarfetish 330k pots listed earlier will be metric.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

Wow, did you read the “Commercial Log” pot portion? Is that why new wahs sweep differently than old wahs and everyone is chasing the ICAR taper?
                          Yeah. I thought that part was real interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post

The 300k pots Gibson used are linear taper, not audio.
                            Al
                            D'oh!

Comment

Working...
                            X