• Show
Clear All

• 80's_Metal
    replied
    I swapped mine out for a Duncan distortion tb6 much happier

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied
    See, the guy is a killer player and that is an awesome tone. However, I would never dial in a tone similar to that for myself in a million years. We all play different styles of music and have different styles of playing, it is great that we have so many options to play with.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    If you hadn't seen this, they really do sound great in an SG:

Leave a comment:

• UTGrad
    replied
    Thank you folks for your replies. I’ve been playing the guitar and the 490T is growing on me but to be entirely honest I’ve been playing my Les Paul Slash Edition with the custom Slash pups a bunch. Man it’s got some serious tonnnnne.

Thank you for the replies. I will look into the SNS pups. Not seeing them in stock right now in the places I normally look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• ItsaBass
    replied
    I don't swap out the 490s. I like them a lot.

Leave a comment:

• pskorz
    replied
    Originally posted by Securb View Post
    I won't out a forum member but one of the brothers that claimed to hate 490Ts played them in a couple of my guitars and loved them. They are a great pickup, I have them in my SG. Any criticism of them can be obligated with a tweak of your amp knobs. They are great pickups if you dial them in right.
    I'll agree with this. You can't call a Gibson 490 a bad pickup. But when there are a bazillion other choices available (and especially if you have a propensity to like certain ones, or always think the grass will be greener), it's easy to have a premium pickup like that and think you need a better one, or something more suited to what you are after for that guitar.

Leave a comment:

• pskorz
    replied
    Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    I think the OP disappeared.
    maybe he got the Saturday Night Specials and is too busy in dreamland to re-post.

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied
    I won't out a forum member but one of the brothers that claimed to hate 490Ts played them in a couple of my guitars and loved them. They are a great pickup, I have them in my SG. Any criticism of them can be obligated with a tweak of your amp knobs. They are great pickups if you dial them in right.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarDoc
    replied
    I think the OP disappeared.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronnie_Snow View Post
    490T sounds like the most boring humbucker out there. Yes its an improvement on something cheap but nothing really shines in my opinion. I have the SNS bridge in a Les Paul and that guitar is now my number 1 as it is very versatile. In saying that depends what your looking for as 490T are bland. Anything would be an improvement...
    Well, there might be one more boring one out there, and that is the 490R. Both are bland, bright, and devoid of any kind of personality, making every solidbody and semi-hollow sound about the same.

Leave a comment:

• Ronnie_Snow
    replied
    490T sounds like the most boring humbucker out there. Yes its an improvement on something cheap but nothing really shines in my opinion. I have the SNS bridge in a Les Paul and that guitar is now my number 1 as it is very versatile. In saying that depends what your looking for as 490T are bland. Anything would be an improvement...

Leave a comment:

• pskorz
    replied
    I've had a 490R in the neck of a les paul. I swapped it out for a 59 and am happier with the 59 in it. I know what you mean, 490s are good pickups. I recently played a friends PRS se that had 490s, and they sounded fine. Gibson pickups just don't "do it" for me the same way Duncans do.
    I have SNS set in my SG and i cannot recommend them highly enough.

Leave a comment:

• Lewguitar
    replied
    The 490R and 490T both use an alnico 2 magnet.

I really like the sound of an alnico 2 neck pickup and an alnico 4 bridge pickup together, and have that combination in two of my PRS guitars.

The SNS bridge would probably be a big improvement.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarDoc
    replied
    What specifically don't you like about the 490?

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Man, I hated the 490 set. I'd think the SNS would be a huge improvement, especially in an SG.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X