banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To cut or not to cut, that is the question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
    I will cut and lead a lot of slack. Only time I've got to length for nice and tidy was when I did the last SSS pickguard (which is long gone).

"Rob Option" is in response to a gentleman, named Rob, who frequented the forums. He would never select an option in a poll.
    Oh, I'll default to Erik for meaning of "rob option" here on the SD forums if he remembers a case like this.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

But yours was way more creative.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        ^ You choose to drop off for wiring? I love wiring, do it all the time, and could never pay and wait for it.

I never trim. I leave the slack in case the lead gets damaged over time and I have to trim it. It's not too much hassle to fit everything without tying it off or anything.
        Yes sir. I am done with soldering above precious instruments. I can solder anything when it comes to most automotive electronics, but my hands get all shaky when I am working above one of my $2000-plus guitars. Not because I cannot buy another one, but because that specific one is so sentimental to me.

I dripped some hot solder on the finish of one of my guitars back in 2015, that left a permanent mark. I now have a few of my old wiring jobs that require some minor cleanup to get a truly noise-free operation. I am so tired of spending time on wiring. To me, with my limited amount of free time, every minute I spend on wiring is another minute I could have spent playing. I am lucky to get about 3 hours of guitar and/or bass in per day as it is right now. If I go back to doing some of my own wiring, it can take me 30 minutes or more leaving me with less time to practice. I just wanna play when I have guitar free time available.
        Soundcloud

Comment

Theres nothing worse than going into install a pickup and realising you need to add wire because someone decided to cut the excess off. There is no reason to cut the excess off. The point of making something look tidy that you don't look at and isn't made to be looked at, is pointless.

Comment

Well, when people wire tube amps, you don't see the insides, but you want it tidy, with wires cut to length. But I think the inside of a guitar is different. There is usually plenty of room (cut it if there isn't), and it won't make a sonic difference. In other electronic devices, short cable lengths do make a sonic difference.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Aces View Post

Yes sir. I am done with soldering above precious instruments. I can solder anything when it comes to most automotive electronics, but my hands get all shaky when I am working above one of my $2000-plus guitars. Not because I cannot buy another one, but because that specific one is so sentimental to me.

I dripped some hot solder on the finish of one of my guitars back in 2015, that left a permanent mark. I now have a few of my old wiring jobs that require some minor cleanup to get a truly noise-free operation. I am so tired of spending time on wiring. To me, with my limited amount of free time, every minute I spend on wiring is another minute I could have spent playing. I am lucky to get about 3 hours of guitar and/or bass in per day as it is right now. If I go back to doing some of my own wiring, it can take me 30 minutes or more leaving me with less time to practice. I just wanna play when I have guitar free time available.
              You can mask off ur guitar you know lol. But yeah no, the first time I attempted wiring, I had no idea how the eff I would actually accomplish anything. Since I have mild genetic shakes. I was only changing 1 pup too lol. 4 connections total. I think it took me like 2 hours. You play 3 hours a day? You must be a pro. I started bringing my guitar to work to practice on my lunch. I'm back into it and getting serious about practicing every day. I was cookin on the tune Over the Rainbow today.
              Last edited by Clint 55; 08-04-2020, 12:37 AM.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

I leave as much as possible on news, but if I need to trim a couple inches to start fresh or get rid of bad areas that someone has melted the coatings on, no big deal.
                I always place a folded cloth on the guitar's back right next to the cavity and solder most stuff right there. I take a piece of quilted paper towel and fold it up to place under the wiring inside the cavity also. After I'm done it pulls out easily. Last time I had one tiny little drip on the towel and none on the cloth. I'm getting much cleaner with the solder and neater with my wires over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Aces View Post

Get a Sil-Pad. (Various brand names.) Works great, and relatively cheap. Lay it over the guitar with a hole cut where the cavity is.

Comment

I also don't cut. Only if the pickup was previously used and I need to clean up the wire of excess solder or if the wires appear brittle, In that case I'll snip off enough to get a good connection. That way, I don't have to extend if I move them, Or, if I decide to sell them, there is plenty of lead. (Though I rarely sell pickups.) It's a pita for me to extend them and I then worry about the connections. When I do extend, I used to use electrical tape round the connections, but have started using shrink connectors for more security and a cleaner look. Sadly, Ive always been overkill with solder and or have messy solder points. Its really bad these days since I've developed some shakes..Scares me as my GMA had Parkinsons.
                    I also try to cover up the area with a rag too as I once touched the edge of the cavity with the side of the iron and made alil burn mark. Speaking of the shakes.... Im prepping some guitars to sell and I have one that was nearly MINT, I was trying to pull a trem spring from claw to block and the pliers slipped and I scratched the back. Dang near cried...
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

You can mask off ur guitar you know lol. But yeah no, the first time I attempted wiring, I had no idea how the eff I would actually accomplish anything. Since I have mild genetic shakes. I was only changing 1 pup too lol. 4 connections total. I think it took me like 2 hours. You play 3 hours a day? You must be a pro. I started bringing my guitar to work to practice on my lunch. I'm back into it and getting serious about practicing every day. I was cookin on the tune Over the Rainbow today.
                      Yeah, I know I can mask it off. Back then, in 2015, I was living in Greece. I did not have access to a lot of tools or resources that are more easily available to us here. All I had was what I had and I was a bit impatient about wanting to get my guitar ready. Moments like these, and there have been plenty in the 20 years I have been doing my own wiring, are not moments I miss anymore.

The very first time I attempted wiring by myself, it took me forever too. Now I am more efficient, but my hands shake and my brow sweats like a mo-fo when I work on my guitars with my butane soldering iron. I hate wired soldering irons so much. So I switched to butane years ago.

Other than that, I have never considered myself a pro player, that is why I have to practice so much. Then I find myself wishing I knew how to push myself more as a player while practicing. 3 hours a day is nothing. I wish I could practice for 7 or 8 hours a day like I used to be able to. I am a self-taught player. I am a hack. Making a commitment to practicing every single day enables me to at least be good enough to write music and play in some pretty great bands over the years.

With me, my ambition far outweighs my talent. However, for whatever reason, bands I am in are able to experience some pretty special moments because I am very good at making the plans come together behind the scenes. However, I only wish I was a pro when it comes to playing. I am a professional writer but as a musician, I will probably always feel like a hack. That is okay though, when I play music, I do it because it is what I want to do. I have played with people who have an insane amount of talent over the years, I have learned it is all about doing anything I can do to add to the talent around me.
                      Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Get a Sil-Pad. (Various brand names.) Works great, and relatively cheap. Lay it over the guitar with a hole cut where the cavity is.

This is really nice. I really should order one of these in case I ever do need to do some work in an emergency.
                        Soundcloud

Comment

I should rephrase what I said. Tidy is good. But the cable doesn't need to be cut shorter to make it tidy in guitars.

Comment

Sometimes the excess can be coiled in the pickup cavity so the electronics cavity doesn't look so messy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              Sometimes the excess can be coiled in the pickup cavity so the electronics cavity doesn't look so messy.
                              This is my preferred method. If the cavity is generous enough, I like to wind the extra around the pickup mounting legs.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post

This is my preferred method. If the cavity is generous enough, I like to wind the extra around the pickup mounting legs.
                                I do this too, instead of just making a big bundle under the pickup.

Comment

Working...
                                X