banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To cut or not to cut, that is the question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took a look at all the guitars I wired years ago, they all have the full length jammed in the cavities. So, I guess that is what my vote should say since I do not plan on wiring them myself anymore.
    Soundcloud

Comment

I just had to rerun leads all the way to the coils of an MJ-wound Custom because an overzealous tech decided it needed to be trimmed down to fit after stretching. I don't know what he was doing in the control cavity when I wanted fretwork done, but c'est la vie, I suppose. Please don't cut the leads. Just don't.

P.S. Heat-shrink tubing is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        ^ You choose to drop off for wiring? I love wiring, do it all the time, and could never pay and wait for it.

I never trim. I leave the slack in case the lead gets damaged over time and I have to trim it. It's not too much hassle to fit everything without tying it off or anything.
        I agree. I think wiring a guitar is a ton of fun!

Comment

Can I throw something else into the mix? How about you guys using Triple Shots? If you don't cut, doesn't that mean that all the pup wire has to be crammed into the pickup cavity? I'm not sure myself, 'cause I haven't used them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            Can I throw something else into the mix? How about you guys using Triple Shots? If you don't cut, doesn't that mean that all the pup wire has to be crammed into the pickup cavity? I'm not sure myself, 'cause I haven't used them yet.
            Fantastic question!
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I never trim them down, just not good practice IMHO. I bundle and tie wrap the excess in the control cavity.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                My Triple Shots are installed in an SG, and the cavities are large enough to wind the extra around the pickup mounting legs.

Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

It's an expanded meaning of a term that comes from the world of modern video games. As others have said, it does essentially mean "other" or "not already accounted for." But that doesn't explain why it would be called the "rob" option, does it? And the answer to that, is in modern video games where you are playing a supposedly real human character interfacing with other "real" human characters, you frequently attempt to conduct transactions with other characters where you want to obtain a desired item (i.e. food, weapons, etc.). Legal and moral codes indicate that "obviously" the only 2 choices for you to obtain said desired item is to A) purchase it or B) barter for it. The designers of modern video games have designed in a 3rd less-obvious, illegal "other" option that you can attempt should you think to try it: you can try to "rob" the other character of said desired item. Charming, isn't it?
                  How else are kids going to learn how to think outside the box?

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                    My Triple Shots are installed in an SG, and the cavities are large enough to wind the extra around the pickup mounting legs.
                    Sweet. I'm just getting ready to install some P-Rails into an LP.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Aces View Post

Yes sir. I am done with soldering above precious instruments. I can solder anything when it comes to most automotive electronics, but my hands get all shaky when I am working above one of my $2000-plus guitars. Not because I cannot buy another one, but because that specific one is so sentimental to me.

I dripped some hot solder on the finish of one of my guitars back in 2015, that left a permanent mark. I now have a few of my old wiring jobs that require some minor cleanup to get a truly noise-free operation. I am so tired of spending time on wiring. To me, with my limited amount of free time, every minute I spend on wiring is another minute I could have spent playing. I am lucky to get about 3 hours of guitar and/or bass in per day as it is right now. If I go back to doing some of my own wiring, it can take me 30 minutes or more leaving me with less time to practice. I just wanna play when I have guitar free time available.
                      Have to weigh the time driving to the tech and back..twice vs how much time the job takes yourself.

Marks from steaming hot solder blobs can be sanded and buffed out of clear coats. Usually.

I just tape a piece of paper on the right side of the cavity in case there is a drip. But that so rarely happens. Tin the parts, never carry a blob of solder on the iron tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

Have to weigh the time driving to the tech and back..twice vs how much time the job takes yourself.

Marks from steaming hot solder blobs can be sanded and buffed out of clear coats. Usually.

I just tape a piece of paper on the right side of the cavity in case there is a drip. But that so rarely happens. Tin the parts, never carry a blob of solder on the iron tip.
                        Lol. Do you just like to bug people who do not have a DIY mentality? I choose to let a luthier deal with it now. I am happy with my decision. Period.
                        Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                        X