Phat Cats in a Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phat Cats in a Strat

I have a nice set of Phat cats that I want to put in a Franken Strat build. It will have 3 way switch, one tone and one volume. What pots should I use? I like warmer tones so 250k? or ??

That should be a nice setup. I like 500K volume and 250K tone with P90's. That would be a good place to start. If it's not warm enough, well, that's what the tone control is for. Allow a little flexibility to get some bite out of them if you need it.

Comment

They sound good both ways, it's up to you. I've rocked them with 500k no tone and 250k with no tone for rock and with darker controls for jazz and liked all set ups.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

I've used them with both 500k and 250k, I might start with 500k and if you need a slightly darker sound, go with 250k. It depends on if your guitar is naturally bright or dark.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've never used Phat Cats, but with P90's and HB sized P90's, I also prefer 500K volume and 250K tone. I also generally like a smaller value tone cap: anywhere from 0.005uF to 0.015uF, depending on how bright the guitar is.

But then, I tend to ride the tone control a lot.

If you're a "set it and forget it" player, you'll have to experiment with values and see what you like.

Comment

I really like smaller caps, too. I've started using varitones on my jazz guitars and my favorite values are 3, 6.8, 10, and 18nf. 3 retains some highs and 18 is bassy and creamy.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

thanks folks, thats confirming the way I was leaning. 500 Vol, 250 tone and a small cap.

Comment

Working...
              X