Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Securb
    replied
    Wish I could play singles they sound great.

Leave a comment:

• pskorz
    replied
    a couple of years ago on a whim, I bought an epiphone p90 les paul. i absolutely love the vibe of p90s. you just get a certain something that you can't get with a humbucker, strat or tele style of pickup.

Leave a comment:

• misterwhizzy
    replied
    Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    I need to revisit these. It's interesting that you went from Blackouts to Phat Cats. That's a heckuva transition.
    I was just throwing anything in there to see if I could get a usable tone from the guitar. I had been browsing Craigslist to see if a cheap SG or Strat would come up to replace it, but now I don't think I have to go that route. For what it's worth, the Blackouts were probably the worst of the bunch for my tastes. Way, way, way too hot, super prominent low mids, just totally wrong. The Phat Cats seem to accentuate all the frequencies I want to hear without any I really don't. (Well, except for whatever is easily dialed out with a twist of the tone knob.)

It seems like it will work pretty well now for Stones and Sabbath stuff, and that's perfect.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    I need to revisit these. It's interesting that you went from Blackouts to Phat Cats. That's a heckuva transition.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Phat Cats have transformed more than one guitar. They have a sound you can't get from normal humbuckers, and seem to be the right thing in many guitars where people try a lot of other pickups.

Leave a comment:

• Lewguitar
    replied
    Congrats! Hope the good feeling lasts.

Leave a comment:

• misterwhizzy
    started a topic Phat Cats saved my guitar

Phat Cats saved my guitar

A few years ago, I bought a PRS SE Custom 22, and although it plays great and feels great and sounds great acoustically, I've never found a set of humbuckers that were able to tame the overwhelming mids to bring clarity and spark and anything that doesn't sound completely congested and fairly lifeless. I've tried a set of 59s, a Screamin' Demon, a Custom, a Distortion Set, a set of Bill and Becky blade humbuckers, and I just replaced a set of Blackouts with a set of Phat Cats.

I've never owned a guitar with P90s before, so based on the first hour's playthrough, I'm really loving how they have plenty of muscle but always retain the single-coil clarity and cleanness even under relatively heavy gain. I really liked this guitar--it will never overtake my Les Paul as my number one--but I had never made it sound good. Until now.
Working...
X