No announcement yet.

Lets talk about "stock" pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The stock pickups on a Gibson 2014 SGJ are great. 61 zebra. I wish I never had sold that guitar...

Comment

Most of the work we do is figuring out what works for an individual and optimizing the pros and minimizing the cons.

As a result, there are lots of times where we keep stock pickups but we modify the wiring... Or we change the tuners or the tailpiece or the number of springs on the trim... Or changing amps effects, just about anything is possible and each one is very specific to the player.

So I look at the value of pickups as just one piece of the puzzle factoring in unique qualities, availability and cost. I've picked up a lot of burst bucker threes for practically nothing because somebody pulled them simply because they were stock and they have lived wonderful second-hand lives in builds that needed that tone.

On the other hand, there's been many times where it was clear that a PG or a JB would be the perfect pup and if it achieves the goal, there's nothing wrong with budgeting for a new pickup.

In fact, in a way I wish that there was a little bit less marketing around brands because many times the answer is inexpensive. I've put more GFS singles in middle positions than I can count but there's nothing worse than the customer saying I really want this particular brand when they have no idea how that will impact the sound.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

I don't have an issue with many of Gibson's stock pickups. I'm not much a fan of the BB3. Even though it is an A2 PAF type pickup, there's too much honk for me. Anything else I'm open to.

When it comes to singles (as much as I try to get along with them but fail to), I seem to gravitate towards Fender more so a Strat with stock pickups (talking at least Player Series, American lines, noiseless or not) so I would be more inclined to leave a Strat stock these days. It's a matter of having "the one". My 2 Strats are H and HH config and aren't Fenders at all.

I find that many of what Ibanez has stock in their mid line and up models are good enough to get good tone from.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

When it comes to singles (as much as I try to get along with them but fail to), I seem to gravitate towards Fender more so a Strat with stock pickups (talking at least Player Series, American lines, noiseless or not) so I would be more inclined to leave a Strat stock these days. It's a matter of having "the one". My 2 Strats are H and HH config and aren't Fenders at all.
          It's funny, I don't think of myself as a ceramic guy at all, however my two strats are stock and ceramic and I absolutely love them.

The Zion came with Joe Bardens... A perfect match for this particular strat.

My mim fender was a trade that I did not intend to keep. Weirdly enough the ceramics are absolutely perfect in this strat and Ive fallen in love. And I'm a low gain player... Classic rock and blues.

So to me these are the case in point... If a guitar is designed correctly and the pickups are matched well, you very well may have the best pickups regardless of your normal likes and dislikes.

On the HB side, I've been playing a lot of mid-range Gretch Jets and Reverends and frankly can't imagine better pickups in either... because they are so good at doing what they do.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

I haven't been happy with a stock set of Gibson pickups yet. They are 0-3, though 2 of those might be due to the lousy circuit board wiring. I've found numerous Duncan sets that are superior, which is why we're all here.

I found the Fat 50s and Big Dippers to be very good in my strats, and I would not change them. I also really like the Twisted Tele neck, so Fender is killing Gibson in this competition for me.

The 85/15s in my PRS are not my all-time favorites or anything, but they're good and fit what I want out of that guitar. I also left my S2 Vela stock with the Asian S2 pickups. I might be able to improve on them a little, but it's a unique guitar so I left it.

In summary, it seems that I just don't like stock Gibson pickups. I could be convinced to try 57s again with good wiring, and I've been interested in BB1/BB2. BB Pros are hot garbage though.

Comment

Originally posted by BluesIsBlood12 View Post
              I haven't been happy with a stock set of Gibson pickups yet. They are 0-3, though 2 of those might be due to the lousy circuit board wiring. I've found numerous Duncan sets that are superior, which is why we're all here.

I found the Fat 50s and Big Dippers to be very good in my strats, and I would not change them. I also really like the Twisted Tele neck, so Fender is killing Gibson in this competition for me.

The 85/15s in my PRS are not my all-time favorites or anything, but they're good and fit what I want out of that guitar. I also left my S2 Vela stock with the Asian S2 pickups. I might be able to improve on them a little, but it's a unique guitar so I left it.

In summary, it seems that I just don't like stock Gibson pickups. I could be convinced to try 57s again with good wiring, and I've been interested in BB1/BB2. BB Pros are hot garbage though.
              Is it possible your AMP doesn't like Gibson pickups?

Comment

Working...
              X