X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top-L
    replied
    Originally posted by BluesIsBlood12 View Post
    I haven't been happy with a stock set of Gibson pickups yet. They are 0-3, though 2 of those might be due to the lousy circuit board wiring. I've found numerous Duncan sets that are superior, which is why we're all here.

I found the Fat 50s and Big Dippers to be very good in my strats, and I would not change them. I also really like the Twisted Tele neck, so Fender is killing Gibson in this competition for me.

The 85/15s in my PRS are not my all-time favorites or anything, but they're good and fit what I want out of that guitar. I also left my S2 Vela stock with the Asian S2 pickups. I might be able to improve on them a little, but it's a unique guitar so I left it.

In summary, it seems that I just don't like stock Gibson pickups. I could be convinced to try 57s again with good wiring, and I've been interested in BB1/BB2. BB Pros are hot garbage though.
    Is it possible your AMP doesn't like Gibson pickups?

Leave a comment:

• BluesIsBlood12
    replied
    I haven't been happy with a stock set of Gibson pickups yet. They are 0-3, though 2 of those might be due to the lousy circuit board wiring. I've found numerous Duncan sets that are superior, which is why we're all here.

I found the Fat 50s and Big Dippers to be very good in my strats, and I would not change them. I also really like the Twisted Tele neck, so Fender is killing Gibson in this competition for me.

The 85/15s in my PRS are not my all-time favorites or anything, but they're good and fit what I want out of that guitar. I also left my S2 Vela stock with the Asian S2 pickups. I might be able to improve on them a little, but it's a unique guitar so I left it.

In summary, it seems that I just don't like stock Gibson pickups. I could be convinced to try 57s again with good wiring, and I've been interested in BB1/BB2. BB Pros are hot garbage though.

Leave a comment:

• zionstrat
    replied

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

When it comes to singles (as much as I try to get along with them but fail to), I seem to gravitate towards Fender more so a Strat with stock pickups (talking at least Player Series, American lines, noiseless or not) so I would be more inclined to leave a Strat stock these days. It's a matter of having "the one". My 2 Strats are H and HH config and aren't Fenders at all.
    It's funny, I don't think of myself as a ceramic guy at all, however my two strats are stock and ceramic and I absolutely love them.

The Zion came with Joe Bardens... A perfect match for this particular strat.

My mim fender was a trade that I did not intend to keep. Weirdly enough the ceramics are absolutely perfect in this strat and Ive fallen in love. And I'm a low gain player... Classic rock and blues.

So to me these are the case in point... If a guitar is designed correctly and the pickups are matched well, you very well may have the best pickups regardless of your normal likes and dislikes.

On the HB side, I've been playing a lot of mid-range Gretch Jets and Reverends and frankly can't imagine better pickups in either... because they are so good at doing what they do.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• ErikH
    replied
    I don't have an issue with many of Gibson's stock pickups. I'm not much a fan of the BB3. Even though it is an A2 PAF type pickup, there's too much honk for me. Anything else I'm open to.

When it comes to singles (as much as I try to get along with them but fail to), I seem to gravitate towards Fender more so a Strat with stock pickups (talking at least Player Series, American lines, noiseless or not) so I would be more inclined to leave a Strat stock these days. It's a matter of having "the one". My 2 Strats are H and HH config and aren't Fenders at all.

I find that many of what Ibanez has stock in their mid line and up models are good enough to get good tone from.

Leave a comment:

• zionstrat
    replied
    Most of the work we do is figuring out what works for an individual and optimizing the pros and minimizing the cons.

As a result, there are lots of times where we keep stock pickups but we modify the wiring... Or we change the tuners or the tailpiece or the number of springs on the trim... Or changing amps effects, just about anything is possible and each one is very specific to the player.

So I look at the value of pickups as just one piece of the puzzle factoring in unique qualities, availability and cost. I've picked up a lot of burst bucker threes for practically nothing because somebody pulled them simply because they were stock and they have lived wonderful second-hand lives in builds that needed that tone.

On the other hand, there's been many times where it was clear that a PG or a JB would be the perfect pup and if it achieves the goal, there's nothing wrong with budgeting for a new pickup.

In fact, in a way I wish that there was a little bit less marketing around brands because many times the answer is inexpensive. I've put more GFS singles in middle positions than I can count but there's nothing worse than the customer saying I really want this particular brand when they have no idea how that will impact the sound.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• UnderTheFlame83
    replied
    The stock pickups on a Gibson 2014 SGJ are great. 61 zebra. I wish I never had sold that guitar...

Leave a comment:

• PicoRiveraTele
    replied
    If you look at pickups for what they are, electrical devices that have values, in the same way that resistors have some kind of resistance, then whether stock pickups are going to be good or bad just depends on whether you like the values. Unfortunately, the one value that would tell you 90% of what there is to be said about pickups, the inductance, is not printed on the pickup, so people are left guessing, sort of as though you didn't know what the resistance was of the tone and volume pot, and you just kept swapping them out until you liked the sound. A lot of stock pickups tend to have a high inductance and have ceramic magnets, even though on average that's not as preferred as low inductance and weaker AlNiCo magnets, so in most cases a pickup upgrade is for the sake of getting lower values than the stock values.

Leave a comment:

• solspirit
    replied
    Originally posted by Demanic View Post
    My first thought is, do I like it (playability, sound) and is it worth what they're asking?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
    When I BUY a guitar, not when I pick out a guitar.

Leave a comment:

• AlexR
    replied
    ^And there's the issue. Personal preference is always king here.....not price, perceived 'quality' of construction nor any association with a player or style.
    Plus the host instrument is another key and unique aspect. There have been many times where a generic or much maligned set have beaten out another companies most top-end boutique wind.

Leave a comment:

• Top-L
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Most brands design to a price point, and may even know that pickups don't get as much as attention as a figured top or nice tuners. Most guitar players simply don't care about such things. Cheaper stock pickups can sound good in a guitar, but that is usually the exception. Most inexpensive guitars will absolutely sound better with upgraded pickups, although I am less inclined to pay a lot for an instrument that I feel I will have to mod to sound good.
    Well.... I guess I'm going to have to eat my words.

I liked the INF2/ceramic, but critical listening showed it wasnt as tight and detailed in the bottom, even though I liked the solo notes. So I put my favorite dimarzio in, and its even better. Its bright on top without being screechy, and the bottom is thick and detailed.

Its currently taped in so I can decide if I want to keep it in there without drilling out the holes for direct mount.

That said, the INF2 was better for me than the Custom 5 that came in the guitar. And better than the Evolution. Its all about choices.

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied
    My first thought is, do I like it (playability, sound) and is it worth what they're asking?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• solspirit
    replied
    Usually my first thought when I buy a guitar is, what pickups will I put in it.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Originally posted by Top-L View Post

But how do they skimp on the pickups, other than outsourcing the labor to China?

As I said in the first post, the problem with Chinese stuff is consistency and availability; you don't really know what youre getting. But in the case of Chinese OEM pickups, you DO know what you are getting. And that may work great for you.

I just went through a scenario where an OEM pickup beat models from Seymour Duncan and DImarzio in a particular guitar.
    2 ways: labor and materials. That doesn't mean the pickups are 'bad' or don't match with the guitar. But think of the difference between the cheaper mini pots or cheap import 5 way switches and the full size CTS or Switchcraft. The cheaper parts might be 'fine' but many players will upgrade.
    Also, they obviously don't tailor the pickups to the individual player, which is where aftermarket shines. Again, if you love the stock pickups in a cheaper guitar, great! Keep playing and have an easier life. And it certainly doesn't matter what other people think. But if I bought an inexpensive guitar, I would personally be surprised if the pickups would be perfect for me. Not that it can't happen, but I wouldn't expect it.

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied
    Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
    Yes, but those are clearly not what the OP is referring to. He's suggesting that there's no difference in the quality or performance of lower-end "budget" pickups that come stock in some guitars and higher-priced aftermarket counterparts. While this may be true in a few cases, I think most of us can agree to disagree with him on these points

Sorry man missed that. There are some great budget pickups like the GF VEH. But at the end of the day, we all have different ears and the is no blanket statement about any piece of gear that will cover us all. I would have to join you in disagreeing.

Leave a comment:

• Top-L
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Yeah, that's my main point. Sometimes you get lucky, though. But pickups are one of the areas that a company skimps on when building to a price point. Finishing or wood grain are bound to sell more guitars than pickups. Many companies know that guitar players may eventually upgrade the pickups, but other factors actually sell the guitar.
    But how do they skimp on the pickups, other than outsourcing the labor to China?

As I said in the first post, the problem with Chinese stuff is consistency and availability; you don't really know what youre getting. But in the case of Chinese OEM pickups, you DO know what you are getting. And that may work great for you.

I just went through a scenario where an OEM pickup beat models from Seymour Duncan and DImarzio in a particular guitar.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X