X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derek Trucks has some new pickups in his SG

The slide titan on his Allman Brothers SG-fuelled guitar setup

Such a great guitarist.

I was surprised to read that he wasn't using the 57 Classics his signature SG has.

And that he had been using some old Gibson PAFs in that SG we so often see him playing.

Turns out, that SG is a relic made by Tom Murphy.

Now Derek is using some new Double Cream PAF clones made in Norway.

Cool article. Enjoy!

The slide titan on his Allman Brothers SG-fuelled guitar setup
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 08-04-2020, 09:26 AM.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

he was using the double creams but those are already out and some double blacks have replaced them. i saw him in nyc right as things were getting shut down n march. hes used a few things over the years but isnt really a gear snob. he finds what works and runs with it. he will play the same sg on every song of every night of every date on the tour other that the little down in the flood guitar or if he breaks a string or someone brings him one of duanes guitars or a burst to check out.

Comment

https://www.creamtpickupsdirect.com/...c307/dt-p15171

Thomas Nilsen of Cream T Pickups is renowned for working closely with artists to achieve the tone they desire.
      'DT' pickups are mentioned by Derek Trucks in GuitarPlayer Magazine (September 2019) and installed in his Gibson Custom Dickey Betts SG Artist Proof #4.

Comment

Originally posted by GrilledChickenSalad View Post
        They do sound pretty cool. Unique. Wonder what's different about them?

Comment

I am not convinced that he couldn't get that tone out of any guitar. What a talent.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i loved his tone when he was using his super reverbs, the prs and alessandro dont have the same warmth but cutting through a 13 piece band is tough

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              i loved his tone when he was using his super reverbs, the prs and alessandro dont have the same warmth but cutting through a 13 piece band is tough
              I've seen him a few times. Never seemed to me he had a hard time cutting through. Always sounded great. Must "feel" different to him onstage than it actually sounds.

Sometimes it's a real shame when an artist dumps what they've been using so successfully for something new. Being an artist, that change is natural but it leaves some of us in the audience going .

I haven't seen him live in a couple of years. I hear his sound is more overdriven now and that he "conducts" the band more onstage.

The End of the Innocence?
              Last edited by Lewguitar; 08-05-2020, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Check this little lesson out. Very insightful!

Comment

the guy on the lesson... meh. i get what he was saying but i can talk about miles davis and even maybe play the same notes on a trumpet, but it would be the same. meh

sg into a weee amp. tone is one thing, being able to play in adverse conditions is another.

as far as the band these days... ive seen him almost at least once every year since the late 90s. i still love the early days with the super reverb but as someone that doesnt use monitors on stage, a super wont cut it with the abb band, nor with the current band. he used the prs amps with the abb and they were ok, and i feel the same about these alessandros. i dont know if his tone is any dirtier. he ran his supers with the volume on 10. its brighter and misses some of the characteristic low mid fender bf warmth. as far as conducting, hes always done that, it was more subtle in a five piece and small stage

Comment

the guy on the lesson... meh. i get what he was saying but i can talk about miles davis and even maybe play the same notes on a trumpet, but it would be the same. meh

sg into a weee amp. tone is one thing, being able to play in adverse conditions is another.

as far as the band these days... ive seen him almost at least once every year since the late 90s. i still love the early days with the super reverb but as someone that doesnt use monitors on stage, a super wont cut it with the abb band, nor with the current band. he used the prs amps with the abb and they were ok, and i feel the same about these alessandros. i dont know if his tone is any dirtier. he ran his supers with the volume on 10. its brighter and misses some of the characteristic low mid fender bf warmth. as far as conducting, hes always done that, it was more subtle in a five piece and small stage
                    Must be a tough band to be in if you like to take a solo your own self now and then.

Kind of like being in the Eagles and not being allowed to sing lead on anything as long as Don Henley's in the band.

Comment

he takes 70% or more of the solos over the course of a show and still plays his ass off. its not as guitar driven as show as a 1998 show but its a great show everytime

Comment

That sax solo! 9 minutes in

ah, I love a good saxophone!

Those "Tiny Desk Concerts" are really worth looking at, at youtube. I think Bill Frisell also has a video there. :o

If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X