78 and little 59 pairing suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78 and little 59 pairing suggestions

I just ordered a ‘78 (bridge) and a little ‘59 (neck) for my Music Man Silhouette Special. I’m not sure if I want to use a middle pickup in the guitar... but I’m looking for suggestions on something that would pair well with these 2 pickups. I’m keeping the stock guard from the Silhouette intact so using one of those singles isn’t an option currently.

Looking to cover VH, LZ, Journey, 80-90’s rock with this guitar. If I could dial in some Gilmour(ish) tones as well, bonus.

I'd try a second Little 59 neck in the middle.

The neck model is actually a neck/middle model so it'll sound good in either position.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

My Silhouette Special is my favorite instrument, ever. I'd go with a Classic Stack in the middle for a wonderful, versatile and hum-free combo.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        My Silhouette Special is my favorite instrument, ever. I'd go with a Classic Stack in the middle for a wonderful, versatile and hum-free combo.
        What do you currently have in your Silo Spec?

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
          I'd try a second Little 59 neck in the middle.

The neck model is actually a neck/middle model so it'll sound good in either position.
          That’s not a bad idea, kind of like an EVH version of the Andy Timmons Dimarzio set (AT-1, Cruiser, Cruiser). That was what first inspired me to make the change... then I heard the 78 little 59 combo and realized it was more in my wheel house. My other guitars (Axis - Albert Lee HH) all feature the Dimarzio EVH/Axis pickups. So the VH inspired sound is kind of my “go to” spot.

Comment

Little 59 neck would be quite warm for the middle position. I would choose a stk-s4m classic stack, especially if you want distinct sounding 2 and 4 positions.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratty316 View Post

What do you currently have in your Silo Spec?
              Currently, 2 humbuckers: Alnico II Pro& Custom Custom with a 5 ways switch (all positions hum-cancelling). It works really well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
                Little 59 neck would be quite warm for the middle position. I would choose a stk-s4m classic stack, especially if you want distinct sounding 2 and 4 positions.
                Why would you say that? A pickup that sounded fine in the neck position would typically be fine in the middle position too. Have you had the actual experience of using two identical pickups in the neck and middle positions, liking the way the neck pickup sounded but finding that the same pickup was too warm in the middle position? I haven't. Strats typically use the same pickup in the middle as is used in the neck.
                Last edited by Lewguitar; 08-07-2020, 04:57 PM.

Comment

I have used the lil 59 neck in the neck position but never in the middle. I actually didn't like the lil 59 neck pickup because it was too thick for my preference. I much prefer the Cool Rails neck and use it with 500k controls though a marshall style amp.

Later I setup a HSS strat with 2x Cool Rails neck p/u's. I liked the Cool Rails in the middle position, but is quite thick sounding and bluesy. However it lacks definition when combining neck and mid in parrallel for pos 4. When combining two lil 59s it would be even thicker, and that was the logic behind my comment above.

I don't think of the middle position as being like the neck position, because it senses different string harmonics. Not actually bright in the top end, but more mids IMO. I think of it more like the bridge position with the top end brightness completely killed.
                  Last edited by Teleplayer; 08-07-2020, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
                    I have used the lil 59 neck in the neck position but never in the middle. I actually didn't like the lil 59 neck pickup because it was too thick for my preference. I much prefer the Cool Rails neck and use it with 500k controls though a marshall style amp.

Later I setup a HSS strat with 2x Cool Rails neck p/u's. I liked the Cool Rails in the middle position, but is quite thick sounding and bluesy. However it lacks definition when combining neck and mid in parrallel for pos 4. When combining two lil 59s it would be even thicker, and that was the logic behind my comment above.

I don't think of the middle position as being like the neck position, because it senses different string harmonics. Not actually bright in the top end, but more mids IMO. I think of it more like the bridge position with the top end brightness completely killed.
                    Thanks. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Thanks for yours.

Me? I'll never put a full size humbucker in the bridge of a Strat again. Done it several times and I'd rather have TWO humbuckers in a Gibson or PRS.

And I'd rather have three regular single coils in a Strat, hum and all, and that's how my two Strats are because nothing noiseless sounds good enough to me to take the place of my Antiquity Surfers.

But the OP is using a 78, which is an A2 pickup and not overly bright, and Little 59 neck. Three different pickups is weird to me, so I vote for a second Little 59.

Even though I wouldn't use that myself because I prefer single coils in a Strat even if they do hum.
                    Last edited by Lewguitar; 08-07-2020, 09:38 PM.

Comment

I guess the other question, or possibly the real question is am I missing anything tone wise by going HH vs HSH with this combo? I am assuming they will react in a similar way to the Dimarzio HB's in the Axis and Albert Lee when split with a 5 way. Additionally, I have thought of putting a dummy coil in the middle since I am not 100% sold on the H-S look which would also allow me to revisit the middle pick up if I opt not to use one at this time. The Alen Hinds Xotic model does this and I thought it was a cool idea.
                      Last edited by Stratty316; 08-07-2020, 10:21 PM.

Comment

It totally depends what you are going for, and how you can use the middle position. For me, having a Single coil in the middle position adds versatility and is more usable for clean tones. The Cool rails was also pretty good when used in position 3. You may absolutely love the Lil 59 in the middle and neck as your taste and amp setup is probably totally different from me. So any of the choices make sense if its something useful for you.

I just wanted to make the point that I didn't think dual lil 59's was a great combination for the notch position. Having a brighter pickup in the middle adds a more of an "out-of-phase" quack-tone which you might expect from a Strat. As examples you can look at setups such as Duncan's "Everything Axe" or Paul Gilbert's signature "Injector" set. Both of these sets have mid-heavy pickups in bridge and neck, but then a much brighter pickup in the middle. The bright middle pickup is mainly chosen so you will get more defined and contrasting tone in the notch positions. Its actually compensating for the thickness of the bridge and neck pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratty316 View Post
                          I guess the other question, or possibly the real question is am I missing anything tone wise by going HH vs HSH with this combo? I am assuming they will react in a similar way to the Dimarzio HB's in the Axis and Albert Lee when split with a 5 way. Additionally, I have thought of putting a dummy coil in the middle since I am not 100% sold on the H-S look which would also allow me to revisit the middle pick up if I opt not to use one at this time. The Alen Hinds Xotic model does this and I thought it was a cool idea.
                          I've never had a dummy coil so I don't know.

But I do have an Ernie Ball Axis and those pickups do split well and do get a good single coil tone, as you know.

Better single coil tones than any humbucking pickups I've ever owned, and better than the 78 which I have owned as well.

But I no longer bother wiring my guitars with humbuckers so they can be split.

I've played Strats for over 50 years and I know from experience that splitting humbuckers is never going to satisfy me because they'll never really sound like a Strat single coil.

The 78 does sound terrific as a humbucker. It's a great pickup and I prefer alnico 2 humbuckers which the 78 is.
                          Last edited by Lewguitar; 08-08-2020, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Alternative option, the Duckbucker in the middle to go with the Lil 59 in the neck?

I currently run a Vintage Rails in the middle position, with Cool Rails either side. I suspect a Lil 59 in the neck next to a Duckbucker in the middle would behave a lot the same. I have the Lil 59 neck in another Strat and while I do like the pickup, I think a slightly more traditional single coil voicing in the middle position would give you much more variety in terms of sound.

So, the reason why I like this pairing is because there isn't too much of a drop in output between the neck and middle positions. But the neck and middle together sound absolutely brilliant. The notch position between the two pickups sounds really good. Stratty, quacky, clear.
                            Fender Guitars ~ Marshall Amps ~ Seymour Duncan Pickups

Match Made in Heaven

Comment

I went with an HH setup after trying an Axis and loving the 2 HH with 5 way switch. All positions cancel hum, and I get a reasonable single coil-ish sound if I want it.

Comment

Working...
                              X