78 and little 59 pairing suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I went with an HH setup after trying an Axis and loving the 2 HH with 5 way switch. All positions cancel hum, and I get a reasonable single coil-ish sound if I want it.
    That may be the way I end up going. HH, 5 way and use a coil tap to get some additional sounds. I'll put an old single coil in the middle position for the visual (and future mods) but not hook it up because I prob won't use it. I was at guitar center today comparing the Charvel DK24 HSH and the DK24 HH and I think I like the HH set up a little more.

OR I could go crazy and put the little 59 in the middle and a sustainer in the neck....

Comment

A Sustainer in the neck would be cool, indeed. This was the wiring I used.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        I went with an HH setup after trying an Axis and loving the 2 HH with 5 way switch. All positions cancel hum, and I get a reasonable single coil-ish sound if I want it.
        Yeah, I think if I were going to put a humbucker in a Strat I'd go with two. And I'd leave out the middle single coil. The magnets which are the polepieces of a Strat single coil have a fair amount of string pull and they're always trying to pull on the strings and make them warble.

I'd want to eliminate that because it does affect the way the string vibrates. Humbuckers don't have the same degree of magnetic string pull.

Don't know about the five way switch. I'd probably go with a three way because I don't find the sound of split humbuckers very appealing.

Although those Dimarzio pickups in my Ernie Ball Axis do get really good split sounds.

What's going on with that? I've never looked inside. Wonder if it's just a partial split or something.

They're also the only Dimarzios that I've ever really liked.

Guess Eddie knows what he's doing.

Never doubted it actually.

Last edited by Lewguitar; 08-08-2020, 08:20 PM.
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Generally, I don't like split humbuckers much either, but in combination with another split humbucker (2 coils from 2 different pickups in parallel), it gets a good approximation of a Stratty quack sound.

Comment

It's nice to see the 78 mentioned again. I had forgotten about that pup.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              It's nice to see the 78 mentioned again. I had forgotten about that pup.
              I remember when it was called the Evenly Voiced Harmonics pickup... didn't know Duncan still made it until I saw the demo video. Now they make a Frankenstein set and use EVH's name... I'm kind of interested in those as well now. Working on possibly purchasing a Peavey Wolfgang with non-original pickups and thinking about throwing in a set of these if I manage to get it for a fair price.

Comment

The Silhouette Special was dropped off today and the 78 and little 59 are being installed. Having it wired HH with a 5 way. It’s what I’m used to in my HH Albert Lee so I figured it will give me the best point of reference tone wise to see if I’m missing anything once I get it back. Since I left the stock Dimarzio in the middle position (disconnected) to fill the hole it won’t be too hard to have it wired HSH if I decided I needed that “strat quack”. But honestly, the Albert Lee gives me a pretty good strat sound in position 4 so I’m hoping this will do the same.

Comment

The 5-way positions on the Albert Lee HH are nearly perfect in my book. Great coil combining.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Stratty316 View Post
                    The Silhouette Special was dropped off today and the 78 and little 59 are being installed. Having it wired HH with a 5 way. It’s what I’m used to in my HH Albert Lee so I figured it will give me the best point of reference tone wise to see if I’m missing anything once I get it back. Since I left the stock Dimarzio in the middle position (disconnected) to fill the hole it won’t be too hard to have it wired HSH if I decided I needed that “strat quack”. But honestly, the Albert Lee gives me a pretty good strat sound in position 4 so I’m hoping this will do the same.
                    The Albert Lee is a great guitar. I use a 5 way with my HH Silo Special, and I love the in-between sounds.

Comment

Working...
                    X