Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teleplayer
    replied
    I have used the lil 59 neck in the neck position but never in the middle. I actually didn't like the lil 59 neck pickup because it was too thick for my preference. I much prefer the Cool Rails neck and use it with 500k controls though a marshall style amp.

Later I setup a HSS strat with 2x Cool Rails neck p/u's. I liked the Cool Rails in the middle position, but is quite thick sounding and bluesy. However it lacks definition when combining neck and mid in parrallel for pos 4. When combining two lil 59s it would be even thicker, and that was the logic behind my comment above.

I don't think of the middle position as being like the neck position, because it senses different string harmonics. Not actually bright in the top end, but more mids IMO. I think of it more like the bridge position with the top end brightness completely killed.
    Last edited by Teleplayer; 08-07-2020, 08:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lewguitar
    replied
    Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
    Little 59 neck would be quite warm for the middle position. I would choose a stk-s4m classic stack, especially if you want distinct sounding 2 and 4 positions.
    Why would you say that? A pickup that sounded fine in the neck position would typically be fine in the middle position too. Have you had the actual experience of using two identical pickups in the neck and middle positions, liking the way the neck pickup sounded but finding that the same pickup was too warm in the middle position? I haven't. Strats typically use the same pickup in the middle as is used in the neck.
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 08-07-2020, 04:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Originally posted by Stratty316 View Post

What do you currently have in your Silo Spec?
    Currently, 2 humbuckers: Alnico II Pro& Custom Custom with a 5 ways switch (all positions hum-cancelling). It works really well for me.

Leave a comment:

• Teleplayer
    replied
    Little 59 neck would be quite warm for the middle position. I would choose a stk-s4m classic stack, especially if you want distinct sounding 2 and 4 positions.

Leave a comment:

• Stratty316
    replied
    Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
    I'd try a second Little 59 neck in the middle.

The neck model is actually a neck/middle model so it'll sound good in either position.
    That’s not a bad idea, kind of like an EVH version of the Andy Timmons Dimarzio set (AT-1, Cruiser, Cruiser). That was what first inspired me to make the change... then I heard the 78 little 59 combo and realized it was more in my wheel house. My other guitars (Axis - Albert Lee HH) all feature the Dimarzio EVH/Axis pickups. So the VH inspired sound is kind of my “go to” spot.

Leave a comment:

• Stratty316
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    My Silhouette Special is my favorite instrument, ever. I'd go with a Classic Stack in the middle for a wonderful, versatile and hum-free combo.
    What do you currently have in your Silo Spec?

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    My Silhouette Special is my favorite instrument, ever. I'd go with a Classic Stack in the middle for a wonderful, versatile and hum-free combo.

Leave a comment:

• Lewguitar
    replied
    I'd try a second Little 59 neck in the middle.

The neck model is actually a neck/middle model so it'll sound good in either position.

Leave a comment:

• Stratty316
    started a topic 78 and little 59 pairing suggestions

78 and little 59 pairing suggestions

I just ordered a ‘78 (bridge) and a little ‘59 (neck) for my Music Man Silhouette Special. I’m not sure if I want to use a middle pickup in the guitar... but I’m looking for suggestions on something that would pair well with these 2 pickups. I’m keeping the stock guard from the Silhouette intact so using one of those singles isn’t an option currently.

Looking to cover VH, LZ, Journey, 80-90’s rock with this guitar. If I could dial in some Gilmour(ish) tones as well, bonus.
Working...
X