Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
    define normal:
    the QP strat version DCR is 78,8% of the tele version.
    lil59 strat DCR is 66,1% of the tele version.
    The Hot for strat DCR is 97,5% of the tele version.
    A2P DC is 94,3% ...
    ssl2 DCR vs broadcaster DCR is 81,3%

well if i end up only using one of the taps fine by me. but i fear one is too bright and one too fat. I want to add a spin a split.
    “Normal” was meant to mean your run of the mill, classic, standard issue Tele and Strat pickups, without an overwound/balanced Strat bridge pickup. The Strat pickup has traditionally been up to about 20 percent lower in DCR than the Tele bridge pickup. Yes, there’s variance all over the map, but the point is that the difference between QP Strat and Tele is not at all strange. Tele bridge pickups are traditionally hotter and darker than Strat “any-position” pickups.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-13-2020, 02:08 AM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

yeah the Broadcaster SSL-1 /SSL-2 example demonstrates this 20% difference.
      but the QP is not a vintage pickup as is the hot for strat/tele. since the hot for strat is about the same resistance as the tele version i GUESS SD uses a thinner wire on the lil59 and QP for tele than on the strat versions.
      but i don't know.
      just afraid the tele QP T is too compressed for my liking. 17k sound very high. didn't like the lil59 T too much (too middy, round and compressed).

Comment

the qp isnt as middy as the lil59 and the voicing is fairly different. it isnt a bright pup but most high output pups arent

Comment

Thanks,
          yes from the duncan soundclips lil59 and QP are quite different. it's sound brighter than the lil59 from those clips and not stuffed or congested which i like.
          it's quite different than a hot for tele also which is good, because i don't like those hot pickups which get that fat, middy and smooth.
          the QP distortion clips sound very fizzy and harsh though, maybe a touch too much. but then all the pickups dirty clips sound kind of bad. so this pickup sound quite horrible in those clips but it might be just what fits my setup.

i don't want a traditional sound with this guitar.
          i want more lowend and not really more mids but beefier mids and some grunt and growl.
          the '54 and five two and fender stock tele bridges get really high high mid heavy under gain. not the sound i have in my head at all

Comment

the qp has a big bottom end and some growl to it for sure, its a really good rock pup. not what i look for in trying to get a clean sound but its still not bad clean

Comment

Ok thanks, i will try my luck

Comment

Slight change of plans: Went with the regular STL-3 (No Tab), because it's more readily available.
                Installed it today and so far i really like it
                It's got that growl i was hoping for. had a stock fender, STL-1 Vintage '54 and ST-52 fiveTwo in there before.
                they all get that nasty upper mid heavy sound if i turn up the gain which really bothers me while playing. keeps me fighting the guitar. They're all good 'til low gain crunch levels. I don't think it's the brightness that bothers me with them. It's just a high mid heavy sound with a lot of brightness and no balls? turning on the Tone knob doesn't do it for me either.
                Now the quarter pound (i guess) really shifts a lot of those mids downwards which i seem to like. The added low end also helps to make it sound bigger.
                Still there is some tele in there. if you lower the bridge some more you get more of it.

i think i am always afraid of these higher output PUs because my experience with Humbuckers i don'T tend to like those hotter thicker/fatter Pickups, and of course the misbalance between tele neck and bridge just got worse, but that's another story.

So far i really like it. time will tell...

Comment

Yeah, the higher output single coils are always a compromise to me. One sound gets better then it tanks the other sound. You just have to decide what is more important. High output pickups (singles or humbuckers) aren't versatile, but they do one thing really well.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

so far it's not really a compromise sound wise, other than the output difference between neck and bridge.
                    I use 500k pots and it's bright enough. I don't really care what it sounds like clean. i would use the neck for that.
                    For vintage sounds i have another tele...

just have to get used to the look of those strange big pole pieces...
                    i am already used to the look of rails.

i was really afraid of that 17k wind. but i would say it's less compressed than the duncan custom wind or Pegasus.
                    for now nothings bothering me, so i can concentrated on playing and writing stuff

Comment

so far it's not really a compromise sound wise, other than the output difference between neck and bridge.
                      I use 500k pots and it's bright enough. I don't really care what it sounds like clean. i would use the neck for that.
                      For vintage sounds i have another tele...

just have to get used to the look of those strange big pole pieces...
                      i am already used to the look of rails.

i was really afraid of that 17k wind. but i would say it's less compressed than the duncan custom wind or Pegasus.
                      for now nothings bothering me, so i can concentrated on playing and writing stuff
                      You have to keep in mind that only when the same wire has been used on both pickups can DCR be used to directly compare how much wire length is inside of each. If the Tele 1/4 Lb. uses thinner wire than the Strat 1/4 Lb., then even if they did have the same exact number of turns, the Tele would have more resistance.

Resistance in and of itself does have an affect on tone, but not an a major way like most people view it. It's more of a flavoring than the actual meat and potatoes of a pickup's tone. The inductance number is a better spec to look at, as it gives you an idea of the number of turns on the coil combined with the strength of the magnet...but very few makers publish that info. So we're usually stuck with knowing DCR alone, and sometimes the magnet type, which isn't that helpful without knowing the wire used...which usually isn't published...and magnets of one type are not all made equally.

The information I would most like to have about every pickup is the number of winds and the actual measured strength of the magnets. But publishing that is giving away 90 percent of your invention.

Bottom line, the specs we can get our hands on only tell us so much. In the end, we have to try a pickup to "know" what it sounds like.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post

You have to keep in mind that only when the same wire has been used on both pickups can DCR be used to directly compare how much wire length is inside of each. If the Tele 1/4 Lb. uses thinner wire than the Strat 1/4 Lb., then even if they did have the same exact number of turns, the Tele would have more resistance.
                        yes i know,
                        Resistance in and of itself does have an affect on tone, but not an a major way like most people view it. It's more of a flavoring than the actual meat and potatoes of a pickup's tone.
                        yes i read that AWG 43 and AWG 44 with the same turncount sound different, by how much i have no clue, but that'S when you raise doubt's easily
                        The inductance number is a better spec to look at, as it gives you an idea of the number of turns on the coil combined with the strength of the magnet...but very few makers publish that info. So we're usually stuck with knowing DCR alone, and sometimes the magnet type, which isn't that helpful without knowing the wire used...which usually isn't published...and magnets of one type are not all made equally.

The information I would most like to have about every pickup is the number of winds and the actual measured strength of the magnets. But publishing that is giving away 90 percent of your invention.

Bottom line, the specs we can get our hands on only tell us so much. In the end, we have to try a pickup to "know" what it sounds like.
                        Yes, i am glad that i didn't let the specs and strange look ruin this purchase for me and went out to buy it and actually try it. never really considered this PU. also read some not too pleasant reviews (muddy etc.)
                        The duncan soundclips really helped. it really sounds bold and harsh in those but compared to the clips of the pickups i know, it went in the right direction, not the overly middy smooth sound from the lil 59, which i was not a fan of or the rather (to my ears) thin/narrow/warm sounding '54 dirty clips.
                        Last edited by ToneFiddler; 08-27-2020, 02:10 PM.

Comment

...and the quarter pound is out again
                          it was the right direction but i think it overshoot my goal.
                          there is still some things i really like about it, but in the end it was too much compression and the mids are a bit too congested which turns me off in the long run.
                          i think i like some compression, but this was too much for me.
                          i'll give it another chance in a brighter and colder sounding tele, if one of my builds will turn out that way, so i won't sell it right away.

Comment

...and the quarter pound is out again
                            it was the right direction but i think it overshoot my goal.
                            Sounds familiar. I did have similar goal as yours. Went with QP and ended up with Pre B-1. Still has it and won't get rid of it.

Comment

just checked the product page of the pre b1.

seems similiar to the duncan hot for tele.

Comment

They're similar in term of having higher output than ordinary Tele pickup. But Pre B-1 has more low end while Hot for Tele has more high end.

Comment

Working...
                                X