Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ToneFiddler
    replied
    rotary switch with 3 positions (and 4 poles).
    i also use one pole for different highpass/series caps for the neck. from no cap, 10n and 6.8n. those values are not final yet, though.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied
    so how are you wiring up all the taps?

Leave a comment:

• ToneFiddler
    replied
    because i liked what the thicker rods of the QP did, but felt is was a lil bit too congested, i went with a super paul bunyan with 2 taps.
    read some good stuff about the paul bunyan on here.
    now i have the maximal hotness i want, but can dial it one or 2 steps back if i like (to normal Paul Bunyan level and 8K).

i am sure the SD custom shop could have fixed me up with something similiar, but duncan custom shop stuff is a lil steep here in Europe and easily a half year waiting time.

finally i found a tele pickup that holds up for heavier stuff!

for vintage/classic stuff, my Jerry donahue is still going strong

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied
    14k, a5 rods, probably #43 wire. cool pup though i havent heard one in a while

Leave a comment:

• ToneFiddler
    replied
    it's a dimarzio

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Where are you guys finding the "Pre B1" info? I've never heard of that, and can't seem to find the page.

Leave a comment:

• ToneFiddler
    replied
    i fear those pickups will be too mid heavy and compressed for my liking.
    the BKP bareknuckle piledriver has less DCR and probably the same wire gauge and that one is not my cup of tea also.
    i think i will like the meat and balls the higher wind gives, but normally this comes with the forward/thick mids...

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied
    Reading the description, is the Pre-B1 kind of what a “Custom for Tele” might be?

Leave a comment:

• elelpe
    replied
    They're similar in term of having higher output than ordinary Tele pickup. But Pre B-1 has more low end while Hot for Tele has more high end.

Leave a comment:

• ToneFiddler
    replied
    just checked the product page of the pre b1.

seems similiar to the duncan hot for tele.

Leave a comment:

• elelpe
    replied

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
    ...and the quarter pound is out again
    it was the right direction but i think it overshoot my goal.
    Sounds familiar. I did have similar goal as yours. Went with QP and ended up with Pre B-1. Still has it and won't get rid of it.

Leave a comment:

• ToneFiddler
    replied
    ...and the quarter pound is out again
    it was the right direction but i think it overshoot my goal.
    there is still some things i really like about it, but in the end it was too much compression and the mids are a bit too congested which turns me off in the long run.
    i think i like some compression, but this was too much for me.
    i'll give it another chance in a brighter and colder sounding tele, if one of my builds will turn out that way, so i won't sell it right away.

Leave a comment:

• ToneFiddler
    replied
    Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post

You have to keep in mind that only when the same wire has been used on both pickups can DCR be used to directly compare how much wire length is inside of each. If the Tele 1/4 Lb. uses thinner wire than the Strat 1/4 Lb., then even if they did have the same exact number of turns, the Tele would have more resistance.
    yes i know,
    Resistance in and of itself does have an affect on tone, but not an a major way like most people view it. It's more of a flavoring than the actual meat and potatoes of a pickup's tone.
    yes i read that AWG 43 and AWG 44 with the same turncount sound different, by how much i have no clue, but that'S when you raise doubt's easily
    The inductance number is a better spec to look at, as it gives you an idea of the number of turns on the coil combined with the strength of the magnet...but very few makers publish that info. So we're usually stuck with knowing DCR alone, and sometimes the magnet type, which isn't that helpful without knowing the wire used...which usually isn't published...and magnets of one type are not all made equally.

The information I would most like to have about every pickup is the number of winds and the actual measured strength of the magnets. But publishing that is giving away 90 percent of your invention.

Bottom line, the specs we can get our hands on only tell us so much. In the end, we have to try a pickup to "know" what it sounds like.
    Yes, i am glad that i didn't let the specs and strange look ruin this purchase for me and went out to buy it and actually try it. never really considered this PU. also read some not too pleasant reviews (muddy etc.)
    The duncan soundclips really helped. it really sounds bold and harsh in those but compared to the clips of the pickups i know, it went in the right direction, not the overly middy smooth sound from the lil 59, which i was not a fan of or the rather (to my ears) thin/narrow/warm sounding '54 dirty clips.
    Last edited by ToneFiddler; 08-27-2020, 02:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ItsaBass
    replied
    Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
    so far it's not really a compromise sound wise, other than the output difference between neck and bridge.
    I use 500k pots and it's bright enough. I don't really care what it sounds like clean. i would use the neck for that.
    For vintage sounds i have another tele...

just have to get used to the look of those strange big pole pieces...
    i am already used to the look of rails.

i was really afraid of that 17k wind. but i would say it's less compressed than the duncan custom wind or Pegasus.
    for now nothings bothering me, so i can concentrated on playing and writing stuff
    You have to keep in mind that only when the same wire has been used on both pickups can DCR be used to directly compare how much wire length is inside of each. If the Tele 1/4 Lb. uses thinner wire than the Strat 1/4 Lb., then even if they did have the same exact number of turns, the Tele would have more resistance.

Resistance in and of itself does have an affect on tone, but not an a major way like most people view it. It's more of a flavoring than the actual meat and potatoes of a pickup's tone. The inductance number is a better spec to look at, as it gives you an idea of the number of turns on the coil combined with the strength of the magnet...but very few makers publish that info. So we're usually stuck with knowing DCR alone, and sometimes the magnet type, which isn't that helpful without knowing the wire used...which usually isn't published...and magnets of one type are not all made equally.

The information I would most like to have about every pickup is the number of winds and the actual measured strength of the magnets. But publishing that is giving away 90 percent of your invention.

Bottom line, the specs we can get our hands on only tell us so much. In the end, we have to try a pickup to "know" what it sounds like.

Leave a comment:

• ToneFiddler
    replied
    so far it's not really a compromise sound wise, other than the output difference between neck and bridge.
    I use 500k pots and it's bright enough. I don't really care what it sounds like clean. i would use the neck for that.
    For vintage sounds i have another tele...

just have to get used to the look of those strange big pole pieces...
    i am already used to the look of rails.

i was really afraid of that 17k wind. but i would say it's less compressed than the duncan custom wind or Pegasus.
    for now nothings bothering me, so i can concentrated on playing and writing stuff

Leave a comment:

Working...
X