banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the electrical changes when string gague is increased?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
    No. Not if you're playing electric, which is what this thread is about.
    But on acoustic? You definitely need bigger strings.
    I use 10s on acoustic. I bend strings. Plus most acoustics are amplified these days.
    And most jazz guitarists who play in the style of players like Wes Montgomery or Joe Pass, and play chord melody, use heavier strings with a wound G.

But they are more interested in TONE...not bending strings.
    They also used flat wounds. But then listen to John McLaughlin who used 8-38. Same with Al DiMeola back in the day. YJM also uses 8s. So did Holdsworth. Very few people can play on their level. I’’ll defer to them. 😁
    My electric guitars are strung with sets that start with .010 cuz like most of us here, I like to bend strings.
    On most of my guitars I use 9s. On short scales (like a Gibson) I might use 10s. On my Parker I use 8s, and they feel like 9s. It’s a very stiff feeling guitar.
    I believe Hendrix used Fender Rock N Roll strings, now labeled 150R (R for regular) which are 10-13-17-26-36-46. These came out around 1966 or 67.
    Hendrix also tuned down a half step, essentially making those 9s. But a lot of players Back then used banjo strings for the high E. Then they used the low A strung as the E and so on. This is what Page and Beck and even John Lennon did. So they had a set of 9s or 8s.

That was the reason Ernie Ball came out with Slinkies.

When I started playing I used Black Diamond strings. They were very common, and very awful. Lol
    When folks wanted them even lighter Fender started offering 150L (L for light). Those are 09-11-16-24-32-42.
    Reread my comment on Ernie Ball strings. Players wanted lighter strings so they made them.
    I use the lights sometimes, but usually my electrics are strung with 10-13-17-26-36-46 because they sound better to me.
    Everyone likes something. 9s are the top selling string gauge

I can’t play on strings heavier than 10s because of the way I pull off notes. It doesn’t work.

Plus I like how very light strings sound when you hit them hard. Listen to Tony Iommi on the early Sabbath records. And he’s tuned down a half step with 8s. The low E goes “boing!” when he hits it! It’s that recoil of the string bending out of tune that makes it sound heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DavidRavenMoon; 08-12-2020, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

I'm not sure there is an "electronic" side, per se. The string on a guitar is effectively the armature of a small AC generator. The larger the string, the larger the magnetic field interference. I can't add much more beyond what's already been said.
      Thank you sir. I think that's the final word on the purpose of this thread.

Thanks again for input from all sides!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

This is why I like hybrid sets. Heavy for the wound strings, lighter for the plain. Good chunk for rythm but plenty of harmonics for leads.
        But then, I'm strange.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Hybrids are the best IMO. I'm so glad brands like EB are finally offering some true variety within their hybrid range. At least they even have a hybrid range now!

Comment

hybrids are great. i much prefer 9-46 to 9-42.
            i also like 10-52 but the step from regular 10s is rather big. i would like a lil lighter bass side in between regular 10-46s and 10-52s. the 52 bass string can get muddy on my LPs.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
              hybrids are great. i much prefer 9-46 to 9-42.
              i also like 10-52 but the step from regular 10s is rather big. i would like a lil lighter bass side in between regular 10-46s and 10-52s. the 52 bass string can get muddy on my LPs.
              I use 10-48 or 10-50, especially if I use that guitar for drop d

Comment

so you by single strings to get your custom gauge or is there a 10-50 set available? i would be interested.
                For dropped D 52 is fine for my liking

Comment

ultra slinkys are 10-48 and dr makes some 10-50 sets

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
                    so you by single strings to get your custom gauge or is there a 10-50 set available? i would be interested.
                    For dropped D 52 is fine for my liking
                    I usually use Curt Mangan strings, you can get any combination of string sizes that you want. Last time there was a sale on custom sets, I ordered a bunch.

Here's the first option I saw online, there may be others.
                    https://www.curtmangan.com/10-50-nic...ar-string-set/

Comment

Thanks, but wound 3rd! OUCH! sure sounds better but not on this guitar...

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        ultra slinkys are 10-48 and dr makes some 10-50 sets
                        Found them (10-13-17-26-38-50) and another interesting gauge for dropped D on a 25.5" scale (9-11-16-28-38-50)
                        Great! Thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
                        X