Couple of quickie P-Rails questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of quickie P-Rails questions.

I've had my set sitting around for about 4-5 years. I guess it's about time I installed them into something.

I notice that some folks have talked about installing them "rails-out.". Is there much tonal difference doing them backwards?

And finally, I notice they have a "Hot" version now. Has anyone tried one yet? Thanks all.

I've tried them. I've got lots of P-Rails in guitars. Love P-Rails, but I hate the hot version. It's too hot and sounds very muddy. The overwound coils plus the two A8 magnets is just too much for my taste. You can tame it down reasonably with a couple A4 magnets, but then it doesn't seem to have the right sound (at least to my ears).

You won't hear much difference in the neck position no matter how it's installed. But a BIG difference in how the Rail coil sounds in the bridge position.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
      I've tried them. I've got lots of P-Rails in guitars. Love P-Rails, but I hate the hot version. It's too hot and sounds very muddy. The overwound coils plus the two A8 magnets is just too much for my taste. You can tame it down reasonably with a couple A4 magnets, but then it doesn't seem to have the right sound (at least to my ears).

You won't hear much difference in the neck position no matter how it's installed. But a BIG difference in how the Rail coil sounds in the bridge position.
      Thanks Doc. I was just curious about the Hot version. I have the standard set. So, how would you characterize the change in bridge (rail) tone? How does it impact the P-90 side? I don't want to sacrifice P-90 tone for rail tone.

Comment

I like the 'Rails in' better, since the P90 coil is the best sounding one. Putting them on the outside keeps the pickups like I'd expect them to sound. IMO, the Hot version isn't as good as the standard version. I never needed the standard version to be hotter. Maybe if I played heavier music, but then, there are better pickups for that.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks. That's how I want to do it. I like my Duncan logo to be right side up.

Comment

i installed the neck pup with the rail near the neck but the bridge normally. i wanted to get the rails a little fatter in the neck and the tonal change in the p90 was insignificant. the p90 tones are my favorites but having all the other options (i have triple shots) is nice

Comment

Thanks Jeremy. I'm going to try to get these installed before the week is over. I've got a cool and interesting wiring scheme that is unique.

Film@11.

Comment

Both rails toward the neck for me.

Puts the darker toned coil more toward the bridge, and vise versa.

I use two of the lower output models. They are already bordering on being too hot when used as series humbuckers. Any more would be too much IMO.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I'll take that on advisement.

In my new wiring scheme . . . they'll never be used in series. Not even parallel, for that matter. Quasi, sorta, kinda.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    I'll take that on advisement.

In my new wiring scheme . . . they'll never be used in series. Not even parallel, for that matter. Quasi, sorta, kinda.
                    Very curious! Looking forward to further details.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

I'm all about versatility with P-Rails (isn't that why it was designed?). In the bridge I like the Rail coil in the P-Rail to be closest to the bridge mainly for greater variety of tone. I found that with the P-90 coil toward the bridge it made the Rail coil sound fatter and more like the P-90 coil. With the Rail coil toward the bridge there is a definite difference in the tone of the two coils. Unfortunately, that made the rail a bit anemic so it helped to beef it up with an A8 mag (next to the rail coil, of course). Now that I know about the availability of A9, I think that it would probably be a better choice.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I'll probably put these in the standard way to start with. Then I can always rotate them as I get a feel for them.

Are you all using 250k or 500k pots? (Or, something else?)

Comment

I used 500k, since that was what was in the guitar, and none of the literature or stuff I read about them suggested otherwise. Worked well for me.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Cool. Thanks. I'm just getting ready to order a couple of those new style CTS push-pulls for this project.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                              I'll probably put these in the standard way to start with. Then I can always rotate them as I get a feel for them.

Are you all using 250k or 500k pots? (Or, something else?)
                              At least in strats and Teles I seem to get the best tone with 500k volume and a tbx tone control all the way up especially in series mode.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X